Problems attempting to use Ableton Live to control Vista lighting software via Midi Translator Pro

I have had success with any commands that are midi notes, but cannot make any commands that require MSC to work. I have found and entered the commands for what I’ve found to be the cue list number and cue number that I’d like to recall, but can’t get it to work. I have read through a few different posts concerning this, but I can’t get a grasp on hexadecimal, writing rules, or how it translates to MIDI as it relates to MSC. I have use MIDI to trigger multiple simultaneous devices on a regular basis for several years now. I have a fairly thorough knowledge of MIDI, but Midi translator Pro is whipping me. Are there any good free resources on how to learn more on this specific application?

Vista actually has some decent documentation on the subject but probably does not communicate how ASCII characters are translated to hex

Space Character = 0x20 or (32 decimal)
Number 0-9 = 0x30-0x39 (48 -57 decimal)
Period = 0x2e (46 decimal)
Dash = 0x2d (45 decimail)

You can look at this ASCII chart if you want to know more.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Well, crap. Thank you for the response. I guess this just isn’t an option for me as I can’t find anything that will explain it to me on a level that I can understand. I suppose I’m gonna end up buying a Qlab license as it will do MSC on a user level that doesn’t require a software engineering background.

Hi, if you want Queue 10.8 you would send raw MIDI below

F0 7F 02 02 01 01 31 30 2E 38 00 31 30 3E 38 F7

31 = Number 1
30 = Number 0
3E = Point .
38 = Number 8

If you use rules to put them into local variables the rules would be
oo=0x31
pp=0x30
qq=0x3e
rr=0x38

And then the output would be

F0 7F 02 02 01 01 31 30 2E 38 00 oo pp qq rr F7

So you could send a note on as an incoming trigger with the note of your choosing. And the use the above for output to send to JandS Vista.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz