Problems Configuring My Behringer X Touch Mini to Create key strokes on my Windows 11 Desktop ( Bome Midi Translator Pro)

Hello everyone, I’m new to this forum and a complete newbie to MIDI. I’m currently having trouble configuring my Behringer X Touch Mini MIDI controller to create keystrokes on my Windows 11 desktop using Bome MIDI Translator Pro.

Specifically, I am experiencing two issues:

1. Even though I am able to get MIDI input working, I am not getting any keystroke response when pressing buttons on my controller.
  2. MIDI output is not working, so my computer is not receiving any MIDI messages from my controller.

As a newcomer to MIDI and Bome MIDI Translator Pro, I’m not sure what steps I should take to troubleshoot this issue. I have tried selecting ‘Keystroke’ as the output action in the ‘Outgoing’ section of my translator, and have checked that the correct keystroke is entered in the ‘Outgoing Action’ field. However, I am still unable to get my Behringer X Touch Mini to create keystrokes on my desktop.

I would really appreciate any guidance or tips that anyone on this forum can offer me. Thanks in advance for your help!

I have included a picture of the screen I am working on + the Project

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

First of all, it is important to understand that the keystroke you send will be sent to the currently application in focus and that by default, outgoing keystrokes while you are focused on MT Pro (Bome MIDI Translator Pro) are suppressed.

On Windows, you can try using ‘injected’ keystrokes if the target application supports it (not all applications do). Or you could create a translator with outgoing action to focus the application and then delay the output of the keystroke translator (to give time for the application to gain focus.

Other pointers for troubleshoot.

Open the Log Window and check Incoming, MIDI IN, and Outgoing.
If you see MIDI IN but no Incoming, it means your translator is not matching the incoming MIDI message. For Outgoing, you should see the keystroke or a message that it has been suppressed (if MT Pro has focus).

The attached file should achieve what you want if you adjust the incoming messages for the translators correctly. The first translator will focus on Notepad (assuming Notepad is open), and the second translator will send the keystroke.

You will need to set up the alias ‘My Controller’ to point to your Behringer X-Touch MINI. You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

Focus-with-Delay-Keystroke.bmtp (1.1 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Steve, thank you for your reply, but not being an expert in Midi I have no idea what half of this means? Surely, it should be simple enough to translate the turning of the knobs or button presses to keystrokes?

T

Dear Steve,

I would like to thank you for your response to my query regarding Bome MIDI Translator Pro and the use of my Behringer X-Touch MINI to recreate keyboard commands in another program. However, I would appreciate it if you could explain your previous response in simpler terms.

I apologize if there was any misunderstanding on my part, but all I am trying to do is to use my X TOUCH MINI to send keyboard commands to another program. I am not familiar with the technical jargon you used, and I would appreciate it if you could explain it in simpler terms.

I would be grateful if you could provide me with a step-by-step guide on how to achieve my objective. I appreciate your time and effort in assisting me with this matter and look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for your kind assistance.

Best regards,

Simon

This tutorial should give you an introduction to the interface.

This one shows how to do keystrokes.

Sooner or later you will need to read the manual to figure things out, however if you tell me the MIDI message that your MIDI controller is sending and the desired outgoing keystroke, I can assist further.

You will need to enable log messages as described earlier to see the incoming MIDI keystroke and of course, select the desired MIDI controller as your input device.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz