Problems with USB device

Hi,

So I’ve had strange behaviour with Bomebox with my USB devices.
I apologise in advance for complex post, but I will try to explain everything as it has happened :slight_smile:

Setup I am trying to get to work is one Bomebox powered by PoE, that has one GooRoo Liobox connected straight to the USB Port. Bomebox is connected through switch.

At first, I couldn’t get the Liobox to show up in MIDI Routes at all. After about an hour of trying, when I clicked ‘MIDI Routes’ at Home Network app the Liobox suddenly appeared. And I managed to get it work with Ableton Live. I had used static IP addresses with all the devices.

Moving on, I configured the same Bomebox with an another computer, the one I had originally planned to use it with. The same problem appeared. I had configured devices with static IP addresses. I couldn’t get the Liobox to show up, no matter what I tried.

I took our another Bomebox and suddenly all worked at first try. This time I had this new Bomebox in DHCP mode. I changed it as static address and it still worked. Then the strange part: I unplugged this new Bomebox and then re-plugged the old Bomebox (with static IP) and suddenly it found the Liobox and everything worked just fine.

Im just trying to make sense for all this, hopefully you can help me to make everything easier in the future.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

On the BomeBox web interface did you see your LioBox ports or were you checking on your host computer? Did the BomeBox show up as connected to the computer in the Bome Network Tool? It is important to understand that the only way you will see attached MIDI ports on your Bomebox from your applications will be to turn on their Remote Direct MIDI ports.

You do this by clicking on the attached BomeBox and then turning on it’s switch as shown below. In this case I have an X-touch One connected to my BomeBox and have enabled Remote Direct MIDI for that port.

If when going to the BomeBox Web interface and don’t see the attached device, that might be another issue. If this is the case, please get back to us so we can investigate further. I assume your controller is class compliant. It usually is if you don’t need special drivers to attach to a Windows or Mac.

Now if you couldn’t see your BomeBox on the network that would be a different story. By default, the ethernet is configured for DHCP so it should be easy to see it if you have a DHCP server. If your network connections are messed up you can set this back up to default by doing a network reset of the BomeBox as described in the user guide.

Static address should work as well as long as you don’t have more than 1 using the same static address on your network.

Also, if you can’t get to it via ethernet, you can use a mobile device to connect via WiFi and re-configure your BomeBox from there. By default BomeBox WiFi is a hotspot.

The computer and BomeBoxes discover each other using UDP port 37000. If these setting are messed up you may have problems as well. In your Bome Network tool you can click the gear ICON then go to Network setting and check that.

Maybe you can clarify exactly whether the problem was in

1. Finding your BomeBox on the network
  2. Finding your controller using the BomeBox Web page
  3. Finding your controller on your computer (but BomeBox found)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi, and thanks for the quick response!

Ill try to clarify for your questions below:

On the BomeBox web interface did you see your LioBox ports or were you checking on your host computer?
-No, I didint see LioBox at web interface nor in the Bome Network tool.

Did the BomeBox show up as connected to the computer in the Bome Network Tool?
-Yes, no problems with that.

I assume your controller is class compliant.
-Yes it is class compliant.

So the problem is number 2 of the cases you mentioned.

OK, we will check if we can find out if we are having any problems with that controller. If you continue to have problems, we may ask you to assist in troubleshooting.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

We know of two devices which do not work directly connected to the BomeBox USB. But they work if you plug a USB hub into the BomeBox, and the device into the hub.

Would you be able to try that?