Random usb device disconnects on BomeBox

Hi, we’re finalizing testing for a pretty complicated rig that is centered around the BomeBox. We have a dedicated Apple iPad power brick powering the BomeBox, and a high quality powered USB hub going directly into the USB A port.

Connected to the USB hub are 2 SoftSteps, a DataLooper pedal, a MIDI Fighter Twister and a MIDI Expression pedal controller.

Most of the time, everything just works great, but we’ve been getting random USB device disconnects from time to time (at least once in an hour). It seems to be random which device disconnects (sometimes it’s the soft steps, sometimes the twister).

I’m assuming this must be power related…have you seen this sort of thing and do you have any suggestions? This is show critical stuff, so we’re kind of stuck until we sort this out.

Hi,

I’m not familiar whether the iPad power bricks provide consistent power. If they have any type of ‘fast charging’ capability, then their voltage my rise and lower depending on the current draw. I’ve had severs USB power sources and some have been reliable for a while and then stop working.

I switched to POE about 3 years ago and have never had a problem since. POE provides a higher voltage and as such when the BomeBox regulates it down to the 5v required, it is less susceptible to voltage fluctuations which may effect the BomeBox.

I’m not saying the brick is bad. I’m just saying to try a different power source to see if that helps. Again, since I went the POE route for power I have never seen another issue.

I hope this helps!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

We’ll give that a shot. Is it POE or POE+ (15w or 30w)?

Here is what I got. 48v @ 500 ma. I think wattage is less of concern that voltage as long as voltage is greater then 5 because the BomeBox regulates it down. If you do the math it comes to 24w.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NRGJCM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Yes, to clarify, the BomeBox works with any PoE adapter at 48V. It only requires approx. 150ma at 5V, so PoE is providing enough… An active USB hub should take care of powering the devices connected to it. So it’s still a mystery to me.

We have seen USB device disconnects after a long period of inactivity with a MIDI Fighter device. But it works again after pressing a button.
We don’t have a Soft Step for testing here.