Remapping multiple APC40mk2s

Greetings Steve,

I just purchased MIDI Translator Pro because iConnectivity has disabled much of the remapping functionality in their new Auracle Software. And so I am trying to replicate the setup I had for remapping two APC40 mk2s. I am now familiar with BMT but my question is how to setup the control surface slots to remap MIDI between the controllers and Ableton Live. You have alluded to this in some of the posts but I want to get a definitive answer, perhaps even a screenshot. Essentially I have two APC40 mk2s in two slots in Ableton, and so do you put a BMT patch in the in/out slots of one or both APC40s? I’m not exactly sure how you do this without disrupting the main functionality of the controllers in Ableton.

Thanks so much for your help,

Best,

Randall

Hi Randall and welcome to the forum.

Yes, indeed we can remap 2 APC40 Mk2s to work with a given DAW. I’m not sure how Ableton Live handles 2 natively (if they work together for separate clips etc or they just duplicate each other).

Maybe if I understand your mapping that worked with iConnectivity I can help more. There are so many ways to map this stuff, I’m not exactly sure what you want. Which iConnectvity product do you have and how did you have things mapped between the 2 controllers? As you know an APC-40 sends on multiple MIDI channels (8 I believe). Are you looking to have each APC40 transmit on different MIDI channels (first 1 on 1-8 and second one on 9-16)? Are you using an Ableton Live Script for them or are you doing manual mapping?

There are definitely tutorials on channel mapping, cc-to-note, absolute-to-relative etc.

It is just a case of how you want it mapped. The iConnectivity mapping is pretty basic (if you can even launch iConfig), compared to MT Pro.

If you had it the way you wanted on iConnectivity, just let me know how you had things mapped and I can guide further that way. If instead you want a different mapping and behavior for Ableton Live, and whether or not you want to use their standard MIDI remote scripts, let me know and I can assist further.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve,

First, you are incredibly generous to give my issue such attention! Thank you!!

Second, I have attached two screenshots, the first showing the Ableton MIDI preferences with all the control surface slots, the second showing the Auracle USB host setup for my iConnectivity MIDI4+.

Here is my question in brief:

• The 2 APC40 mk2s are in native “combine” mode, the first 1-8, the second 9-16. Their focus rings move together.
  • I need to remap the MIDI channel and CC values of the 8 device encoders of APC40 #2, so the encoders can be used independently of APC40 #1. Currently, the device encoders of the two APCs output the same values, so when you turn an encoder on #1, it moves the encoder on #2. I was able to do this in iConfig, but it is no longer compatible with Catalina.
  • I have already learned how to use BMT translators to do remapping, that’s the easy part, it is the routing and MIDI remote script setup that is confusing. Essentially, as I understand it theoretically, in order to remap values passed between APC #2 and Ableton, it requires resetting the input and output of the APC #2 MIDI remote script with BMT virtual port scripts? As you can see in the Ableton MIDI Preferences screenshot, I am currently using HST 2 for input/output as assigned in the MIDI4+.

I hope this makes sense. Again, many thanks for your help.

Best,

Randall

OK, on input you need HST2 (second APC40) routed to a virtual port (like BMT 1) in Bome MIDI Translator Pro using static routing. And the revers (BMT1 -> HST2).
Now we have Bome MIDI Translator as a middle man so we can add a translator for your encoders you want to manually map.

I believe the device encoders are 0x10-0x17 so I would put in a translator like this.

Incoming: Raw MIDI B0 pp qq (this will take any CC on MIDI CH1
Rules:
// This ignores the CC if out of range
if pp <0x10 then exit rules skip outgoing action
if pp>0x17 then exit rules skip outgoing action

Outgoing: Raw MIDI B0 pp qq to Bome MIDI Translator 2 Virtual Port

And then in Ableton Live, set up Remote to monitor for Bome MIDI Translator 2 Virtual. Then use MIDI learn to learn those encoders to the mapping of your choice. Of course you could also translate the messages to other outgoing CC values in rules if you would like or even a different MIDI Channel.

Strange, I was running Catalina on my Mac and was able to use iConfig with my iConnectivity MIDI4+.
The iConfig software is somewhat buggy but after a little trial and error, I got it to connect. I agree that Auracle is not very full featured and they seem to be only adding features from some of their newer devices. Consequently, I’ve pretty much put my iConnectivity on the shelf and am now using BomeBox. If I need more DIN ports I connect a low cost DIN to USB adapter via a USB hub to my BomeBox for my DIN devices.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,

Thanks I was able to follow your excellent instructions, I understand the concept, but the encoders on APC 1 and 2 are still not working independently when I map APC #2.

I have uploaded the following screenshots to show what I have done:

1. Setup in Ableton MIDI Preferences (BMT 2 set to remote on input)
  2. Project MIDI routing (HST2 to BMT 1, BMT 1 to HST2)
  3. Incoming (using Project default ports, pp assigned to CC#, qq assigned to CC Value#)
  4. Rules (showing the CC# rather than the bits)
  5. Outgoing (using Specific port BMT 2)

Next Email because 5 is the limit

1. Log Window showing MIDI in/out (there is nothing in the incoming/outgoing)

I am sure I haven’t done something right, I look forward to your response.

Thanks!

Randall

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 11.32.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 11.32.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 11.33.28 AM.png

Hi Steve,

Here is the 6th screenshot:

1. Log Window showing MIDI in/out (there is nothing in the incoming/outgoing)

Randall

OK, try the attached.

I have MIDI through routes assigned in both directions between your Second APC40 and Ableton Live (BMT 1).
You will need to set up the alias “Second APC40” to point to iConnectMIDI4+ HST2.

Then I have 2 presets each with one translator.
The first one sends messages from your encoders to Ableton to BMT2 and puts them on MIDI CH 2 (just for additional safety sake)
The second one receive MIDI CH 2 data from Ableton Live (BMT2) on MIDI CH 1 and sends it to your Second APC40 MIDI CH1 for LED feedback.

I define the inputs and output at the preset level which override the project defaults (for these presets and their underlying translators.

I have swallow set up for the translators so anything that doesn’t meet the translator criteria will pass through the default MIDI routes untouched.

2nd-APC-40-Device-Knobs.bmtp (1.9 KB)

You should directly connect your First APC 40 to MT Pro with the script.
Your second APC 40 should use the Script on BMT 1
Your device notes should be manually mapped (not assigned a remote script) on BMT 2

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve your template is great and I was able to reassign the alias input/output, and I see exactly how the routing works. However I do not understand these two instructions:

What script are you referring to and where do I make these two connections? Are you talking about the remote script settings in the MIDI preferences? I tried to assign BMT to the input/output next to the control surface script, but then the ring disappears. So clearly I am not understanding.

Thanks, Randall

When I refer to scripts, I’m referring to how Ableton Live handles it in the top section of your MIDI setup. These are called MIDI Remote Scripts and if used handles some default button mapping and handshaking with the defined controller. I assume you want them to otherwise act as they would normally with Ableton Live set up as APC40 MK2.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I think I am just one step from having this right. Please refer to screenshot. If APC #2 is correct in the output slot (still have the ring), what do I do with APC40 #1? You said “MT Pro”, but I am confused about what you mean by that.

Thank you for your patience.

Randall

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.52.50 PM.png

Steve, I have tried every conceivable combination of inputs and outputs in the Ableton MIDI preferences and I am truly racking my brain with these lines in your instructions:

Here is how I now have it set up and the controls are still not independent.

Perhaps a short phone call? 202.439.4306.

Thanks, Randall

The MIDI remote scripts is what I thought you were referring to and their specific configuration was my very original question.

There are two control surface slots in the preferences for APC1 and APC2, each with input and output (see screenshot). Can you tell me how these slots and their input/outputs are configured? You said MT Pro for the first, and BMT 1 for the second, can you please be a bit more specific?

And then the BMT 2 Input Port is set to remote, as in the second screenshot?

I am almost there… thanks!

Randall

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.37.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-12-17 at 5.38.29 PM.png

In the upper screen line 2 should be the exposed port from your iConnectivity for your first APC40.
In upper screen line 3 set it up with input and output for BMT 1 but leave Control Service as it is APC40 MKII.

The lower screen set remote input and output on for:

• The HST port your first APC40 is attached.
  • BMT 1 - Which will handle your second APC40 (through MT Pro)
  • And BMT 2 - Which will handle your device knobs from your second APC40 (through MT Pro)

With that both of your APC40s will be controlled by MIDI remote scripts except for the device knobs on the second controller which are through BMT 2 and you can use MIDI learn for those using the translators that I set up in your MT Pro project file.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care