Rename Midi Ports - BomeBox

Hello,

I’m using multiple ESI MIDIMATE eX, and an usb hub.
BomeBox create multiple Auto Alias. Is it possible to change it manually for a customized names?

Thanks

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Hi, the port names on BomeBox are based on the USB device names attached. However if you create a project file using MT Pro (paid version) and in that project file, create aliases of your own names. When loading that project file, those alias names will show up on BomeBox and you can assign the names you created to the names that are reported by the BomeBox

For instance, in the below screenshot, I have a Midi Fighter Twister attached to the USB host port. It shows up as such, however in my project file I have aliases called “From MIDIBOX” and “To MIDIBOX” that I assigned to my MIDI Fighter Twister. The auto alias “USB 1” also shows up.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve thank you for your quick answer.

I created Aliases using MT Pro, however only USB device names are displayed on BN Pro and not the Assignment. Check the screenshot below.

That will be great if we could choose between displaying device name or assignment,

I found a working around by creating a virtual port in BN Pro on my computer and linked to MIDIMATE, check the screenshot below.

That work however, it’s not standalone.

Thanks
Cordaliss

Indeed looking at Direct MIDI ports in Bome Network Pro will only show the reported device names and not the aliases. The aliases will only be shown on the BomeBox itself and only if you have a project file on BomeBox that uses them.

If you want to use your own names on Mac or PC, you would need to purchase “unlimited named MIDI Ports” which is a Bome Network Pro Addon. Then you would need to create new ports with the names you want. Then you would need to route the BomeBox Direct MIDI ports to the newly named ports.

This may or may not be worth the trouble but that will be the only way I know of that you can has the names exposed to other applications on your computer as you would like them. Otherwise you will need to use the assigned names by the BomeBox (or other attached computer) and the MIDI Direct Native Port names as show in your last screen shot.

And on BomeBox, there is no feature for creating Named Virtual Ports and routing them.

Sorry, that is just the way it is right now.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

This is what I did. And it’s a good solution for now.

Your feature requests, however are duly noted and brought to the attention of management/developers.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like