Roland TM-2 Trigger Module for Keyboard application

I am trying to use my Roland TM-2 Module with a Roland BT-1 trigger bar to advance videos in a slideshow, basically needing to convert striking the BT-1 bar to a ‘Spacebar’ action on the PC. Thus allowing me to control on the fly with my drumming, as opposed to turning to my laptop after every song in the setlist. I am using a Roland UM-ONE Midi In / Out cable to USB to interface with the PC. As of right now, I can not even pass a midi instruction signal from the module through the cable. The BOME software does discover the UM-ONE cable is there, just no data transfer. Anyone have experience with this hardware config and what I might be missing to see a signal?

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Please find the attached file which should be close to what you want.

First you select your UM-1 as MIDI input. Your system might show it a bit different than mine.
Then open the log window and check Outgoing, MIDI IN and MIDI OUT.
Then trigger you BT-1 and see what happens in the log.

It is possible that your device sends a different note so it may not work. So if you see MIDI IN but no outgoing action you are probably sending a different note-number or on a different MIDI channel. If this is the case, please copy and paste your log activity and I can assist further.

I have outgoing focus set to notepad.exe on translator 0.0. If you are sending to powerpoint, select powerpoint.exe (or similar if on Mac) as the focus for outgoing action to ensure the keystroke goes to the correct application. Modify the keystroke you need as desired on translator 0.1.

If you are not seeing any MIDI IN, then go to the MIDI configuration of the sound module to ensure it sends MIDI.

trigger-to-space.bmtp (1.1 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I found this link which tells you how to program your TM-2 for different notes.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Excellent thanks so much!

Tom McCarthy

Unfortunately I dont see any note or semd activity from the trigger module. I assume setting of “any note” is acceptable at this point. I just cant get a message out of this module to save my life

Roland recommended a MIDI View program. It too, recognizes the cable as UM-ONE but can not simulate a midi signal from the BT-1 OR by pushing trigger buttons directly.

Tom McCarthy

Can you get sound out of the module with BT-1? If you can get sound but no MIDI perhaps it is a bad MIDI cable (UM-1) TM-2 configuration or TM-2 module. If you cannot get sound either then perhaps it is your trigger cable itself.

Since you are using two different tools for monitoring MIDI with no result, I doubt it is either of the monitoring tools.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I don’t know it this helps, but I am using a TM-1 together with a bome box for the same thing, to use it as a programmable midi controller essentially.

The TM-1 sometimes lost the last change after a restart. So while the editor was open the device did what I wanted, and I saved and disconnected the editor app (on an ipad). Everything still worked. But when the TM-1 was restarted, the change was gone. Maybe the TM-2 has something like that too?

Thank you Frank. Will Definitely keep that in mind. Trying a different MIDI cable shortly. Got to be an easier solution to strike a pad and convert that to PC Spacebar keystroke.

Tom McCarthy

Hi Steve,

Finally got the TM-2 to communicate to PC as you can see below. Each time I strike the pad, I get two lines. i.e. lines 5 and 6 were from one note played on the trigger, 7 & 8 etc… with last digits ending in 00

5: MIDI IN [USB MIDI Interface]: 99 24 29
6: MIDI IN [USB MIDI Interface]: 99 24 00
7: MIDI IN [USB MIDI Interface]: 99 24 26
8: MIDI IN [USB MIDI Interface]: 99 24 00
9: MIDI IN [USB MIDI Interface]: 99 24 2B
10: MIDI IN [USB MIDI Interface]: 99 24 00
11: MIDI IN [USB MIDI Interface]: 99 00 00

The attached modified file should work. I created an alias for your MIDI Interface which you should assign to what your MIDI interface exposes to the system.

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

As before, there are 2 translators. The first one focuses the desired application (which you should change to the application you want to send spacebar to)

The second translator sends space 20ms later.

Both translators have the same incoming trigger which is matched to your note as you indicated in your log file. We look at any velocity in except 0 (shown in rules) which is a note-off message.

// ignore note off
if qq==0 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action

trigger-to-space.bmtp (1.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve,

Thank you very much! For all your help! This program worked perfectly! I just purchased the Translator Pro. Looking forward to my next show using this capability!!

Tom McCarthy

Hi Tom,

I’m glad we could help!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care