Running MIDI Translator Pro in Background without an icon

@jordikt , thanks a lot for the purchase!

Indeed, we have overhauled the behavior and options for MT Pro v1.9.0 to better conform to Windows vs. macOS standards.

A few clarifications:

There are 2 places where MT Pro’s icon appears:

• the macOS dock (aka taskbar on Windows)
  • the macOS menu bar (aka tray on Windows)

Furthermore, Windows standard behavior for the X window button is ‘exit application’. On macOS, closing a window (red X button) typically only hides the window but does not quit the application.

On Windows, you have these options:
With both checked, MT Pro will minimize to the tray (the task bar icon will vanish). Otherwise, MT Pro will minimize to the task bar icon (the standard behavior on Windows). Pressing the X window button will always exit the application.

On macOS, you only have this option:
If this option is enabled, behavior is like this:

1. pressing the red X window icon will hide the main window (standard behavior on macOS). The application will also vanish from the Dock. This is comparable with the ‘minimize to tray’ option on Windows.
  2. Minimizing the window will minimize it to the minimize area on the dock (standard macOS minimization behavior)

If this option is unchecked, the menu bar icon is not visible and behavior is like this:

1. pressing the red X window icon will again just hide the main window. But the application will stay in the Dock. This is similar to ‘minimize to task bar’ on Windows.
  2. Minimizing behavior is the same as with menu bar icon showing.

We believe that behavior on the different OS’s will match user expectations.

Do you mean to run MT Pro without any icon visible, i.e. entirely invisible? I don’t think we’ll offer that as an option. We do have support requests every now and then from users who think that MT Pro had crashed, although it was just ‘sitting’ in the menu bar and they did not see or expect it there. Allowing MT Pro to become entirely invisible is just asking for trouble, IMHO.

Let me know what you think.
Thanks!