Scrolling scenes in Ableton with an endless knob encoder

Hi everyone,

I’m new to Bome Midi Translator and I’m a bit lost, mostly on the scripting language side…
So I’m trying to use an endless rotary knob encoder with hard stops to be able to scroll on my Ableton Live Scenes.
The first problem was that the encoder was recognised in Live as a Pitchbend controller. I was able to solve this with the following translator. (Incoming: Raw Midi CO pp. Outgoing: Control Change CC#10 pp)
Now I’m able to scroll the scenes in Live but considering that I have around 300 scenes (more than 127), every hard stop on my knob jumps by 3 or 4 scenes.
What kind of rule can help me scroll to every scene with a +/- 1 jump ?

I’d really appreciate your help !
Thanks
Indrit

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Well if your encoders are sending pitch bend, they are not endless encoders. Anything that has hard stops are not endless encoders.

Also incoming MIDI C0 pp is not pitch bend, it is a program change.

If you can tell me what controller make and model you have, maybe we can find another control the truly does send endless encoder data, otherwise we may need to think of other ways of scrolling scenes like emulating keystrokes, or mouse scroll wheel.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks Steve for your super quick reply !

This is the controller that I’m using : Devine EZ-Creator Fade

I’m using the big grey knob.

When I tried to midi map that knob directly in Live it was recognised as pitch bend and I couldn’t scroll the scenes. That’s why I installed the Bome Translator in the first place. And when I capture the midi message in Bome it reads MIDI C0. So I don’t know why Live interprets a program change as pitch bend.

OK, so this controller is made by a company in China called Worlde. I have the same controller but it is branded differently. This controller is programmable for most controls but not the big grey knob. If it has the same programming, you should input of B0 0A pp where pp is a value between 0 and 7f. Is this what you are seeing. Here is how it shows up in my log window.

546: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 20
547: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 1F
548: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 1E
549: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 1D
550: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 18
551: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 13
552: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 14
553: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 15
554: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 16
555: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 17
556: MIDI IN [WORLDE easy control]: B0 0A 18

Does yours look similar? We will need to convert from absolute to relative and then we should be able to MIDI learn it in Ableton Live.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

This is what it shows for me :
Screenshot 2022-11-03 at 03.49.03

OK, it is obviously different but maybe I can work with this. After it says C0 00, keep turning left and see if C0 00 repeats afterward.

Same for C0 7F. Keep turning right and see if C0 7F repeats.

Did you get any software for re-programming this controller?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yes they repeat on both ends.

And yes I got a software for re-programming but it doesn’t let you for the big grey knob.

OK, please try the following project file. My aliases are set up as follows but your input alias needs to be assigned to your controller.

Set up Ableton Live MIDI as follows (BMT 1 for input as remote):

Then perform MIDI learn on this control:

It should show up as follows

Make sure it is set for relative (2’s Comp.) at the bottom.

Then it should work for you.

What we are doing is mapping a Program change to a relative 2’s complement CC which Ableton Live should understand.

Here is the project file.

Relative-Scroll-Ableton-2022-11-02.bmtp (778 Bytes)

Since you are using Bome MIDI Translator, it is important that you do not map the input of the original controller directly , yet set it up for input as BMT 1 instead.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

It’s almost perfect! When i scroll the scenes downwards (knob turning clockwise) it’s perfect. When I scroll upwards (knob turning counterclockwise) there’s an issue. After scrolling downwards to my last scene (on the bottom), when I go upwards it stops after 127 scenes and then it goes downwards although I’m still scrolling to go upwards. I also noticed that when I keep this inverse scrolling till the bottom of my scenes, and when I do just one stop in the opposite side (clockwise), I have only 2 stops upwards left and it comes down again. I hope I’m explaining this clearly… !

Thanks so much !

Hi, yes I messed up on one of the rules, try this version. Rules are shown below:

// Determine direction 1 for up and 127 for down
if qq>ga then tt=1
if qq<ga then tt=127
// Always up if we are maxed out
if qq==127 then tt=1
// Always down if we have reached zero
if qq==0 then tt=127
ga=qq

You don’t need to re-learn the CC number.

Relative-Scroll-Ableton-2022-11-03.bmtp (979 Bytes)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

It works perfectly !!! Thanks so much Steve, this helped me alot !
Happy to be part of this wonderful community and can’t wait to explore more possibilities with Bome Translator !

Best
Indrit

1 Like