Send SX data rate - super slow mode - Rocktron All Access midi footpedal

Any register settings I could change to slow the data rate to 1/50.0x ?
The manual of the Rocktron says it can only receive a data dump at about 65 bytes/sec.
Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the Bome Forum!

As far as I can tell, the slowest we can go is 313 bytes/second.
But looking at the manual it appears it can accept 1 byte every 15 milliseconds which is equivalent to 900 bytes per second.

The manual calls out 65 HZ which is different than baud rate.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

@SteveC

Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes, the manual does state it can receive a data dump at the rate of about 1 byte every 15 milliseconds.
But by my calculations that equals 66.66 bytes / second? (which is approx 65 Hz?)

Can you tell me what the limiting factor would be that 313 bytes / sec is the slowest you can go?
I would think you could insert any delay you want in between individual bytes.

thanks

This is the design of SendSX. Have you tried the lowest data rate and still getting buffer overflows?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

@SteveC
Thanks for the reply

Yes, I tried the lowest data rate and immediately I got a buffer overflow error. But that wasn’t surprising given what I had read in the Rocktron manual.

I was hoping the delay value might have been a registry value that could be modified to slow the transmission rate from the current 1/10 down to 1/50.

Thanks!

I don’t think so, but I will do some more checking. In the meantime, there is a Microsoft app called MIDI SysEX transfer utility, that might help. It is on the Microsoft Store. It has a transfer delay setting but I’m not sure if the delay is between SysEX message strings or between bytes.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also, it is possible that your MIDI interface cable that converts from MIDI to USB and visa versa, does not have a buffer for longer SysEX messages. Some of these cheap cables work good for performance (notes, CC’s ) but are no good for larger SysEX messages. You might need to invest in a better converter like the Roland UM1 or mio.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

OK - Thanks for the info.
I’m currently using an Emu xmidi 1x1 that has worked well for other sysex dumps.

@SteveC
Thanks for the info on the MIDI Sysex tranfer utility. I tried it but unfortunately the delay wasn’t effective.
I’ve ordered a Roland UM-ONE-MK2 so we’ll see if that makes a difference.

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully the UM-One will help. I’ve forwarded your request to see if a future release can have a lower slower rate.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks for the recommendation of the Roland UM-ONE-MK2. I tried it and unfortunately it didn’t make a difference with Send SX. But it did make me take another look at the problem.

It appears the All Access might be comparing the incoming data with the current data in memory. Only if the data is different does it try to write to memory. Because if you try to upload the same data as in memory the All Access can handle the transfer at full speed just fine. But if the data is different you need to feed the data very slowly. Using MIDI-OX I was able to get consistent uploads sending blocks of 16 bytes at a time with a delay of 200ms in between blocks.

It would be interesting to see if Send SX would be successful if it could send data that slow (1/50x)

Thanks for the update. We have noted the request for a slower transfer rate in the future for Bome SendSX, however we cannot commit to a date.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks for the reply.

I’m not sure what mechanism Send SX is using to slow down the transmission speed but here is something that might be useful.

After further testing I configured MIDI-OX with an output buffer of 1 byte and inserted a delay of 2ms in between each byte. The effective transmission rate was probably around 400 bytes/sec.

The All Access was able to handle the upload successfully at this speed with no buffer overruns but failed using Send SX at the slower rate of 313 bytes/sec.

@FlorianBome FYI. Not sure how to answer this other than “thanks for the update”.

Steve