Sync thoughts...Is there a way to retrieve midi timecode from a daw and inject it to another program?

Hi Steven, hi all…
Still struggling syncing DAWS and NLE’s, was wondering if I could retrieve the current timecode provided by Studio One while stopped, store it and inject it through text format to Premiere or Resolve using Bome Translator pro ?
This would be a way to sync both programs, avoiding rehearsal problems and the traditional
1 second lag synchronization.
Both programs must be stopped for the whole operation, although through an automated list of shortcuts and midi commands, whole operation could be triggered very fast using a streamdeck button’s push or any specified midi command.
Thank you
Jacques

We can certainly capture MIDI timecode into global variable in Bome MIDI Translator Pro (MT Pro). I would need to know that Premier Pro or Resolve would need to receive in order to determine whether we can send it or not. Most Video editors do not understand MIDI of any kind. In fact I don’t know any that do. Maybe we could send a combination of keystrokes that they would be able to understand? I don’t know.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve.
The trick here, after retrieval of the incoming timecode, is NOT to send MTC to Premiere or Resolve, rather input it under text form : 00:01:22:03(example)

Sequence :

• stop playback on both programs
  • retrieve incoming timecode from the daw
  • transform it to text format
  • store it
  • open the timeline input of Resolve through a shortcut* (a small windows opens in Resolve, now you can manually enter the timecode or PASTE IT)

NOW BOTH PROGRAMS CAN RUN FROM SAME LOCATION AFTER BEING TRIGGERED THROUGH A DUPLICATED MACKIE PLAY CONTROL

• you can edit midi through the BPM timeline of the DAW
  • you can edit or make compositing through the timecode timeline of the NLE (24,25, 29,7, etc…)
  • both will be synchronized
  • No sync hassle

*Through windows injection ?

MIDI timecode may not be in alignment with song time line. Theoretically this could be done. You wouldn’t store the text in MT Pro because all it recognizes is integers, but you could convert the values to keystrokes and send it to the application. It would be harder to send to the correct text box within the application as most applications do not allow injected keystrokes. You would have to properly position the mouse at a fixed location and then clear and start typing text followed by enter.

This is not something I’m willing to take on.

Why not position both programs where you want them and then have a note on the DAW trigger play on the NLE? That would be done really quickly via MIDI to keystroke (usually space key to start playing).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

MIDI timecode may not be in alignment with song time line

That’s not a problem, as video editing does not need such an accuracy. Midi editing does. The Daw will be the master in any case. It is timecode that is being extracted from the daw and then transformed, not the midi clock

It would be harder to send to the correct text box within the application as most applications do not allow injected keystrokes. You would have to properly position the mouse at a fixed location and then clear and start typing text followed by enter.

There’s no need to, as Davinci Resolve does have a direct access to the timeline input via shortcut.
(>00:00:00:00)

Why not position both programs where you want them and then have a note on the DAW trigger play on the NLE? That would be done really quickly via MIDI to keystroke (usually space key to start playing).

That’s a good idea

you could convert the values to keystrokes and send it to the application

YESSS !

This is not something I’m willing to take on.

If you just help me converting timecode to a value I can send through a shortcut on demand, I’ll take care of the rest of the process

Shall I PM you ?

I have a project somewhere that captures timecode and can print out a value. Did this years ago but I’m sure I can find it. Then I can send it to you and maybe you can compete what you want to do from there.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you so much Steve

OK, here is a project file. I tested it with MTC output from Cubase.

It reads MTC Frames from Cubase as they are sent.
I set up My Controller to trigger the sending of keystrokes. Note 0 on MIDI CH 1.
Then it uses perform to send the last known time from Cubase.

Translator 1.1 triggers perform on translator 1.2.
Translator 1.2 uses Perform to focus the desired app defined in translator 1.4 outgoing action and reiterates through HH,MM,SS,FF with colons and Enter.

Outgoing keystrokes are handled by preset 2. Here we define a different keystroke in each translator allowing for 0-9 colon and enter.

Translator 1.3 rules, determine which keystroke to trigger based on the parameter passed to it. You can see this in rules.

Since it uses Perform, version 1.9.1 of MT Pro is required.

All yours now.

mtc-trigger-2024-01-16.bmtp (6.4 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Huge thanks, Steve. :slightly_smiling_face: :grinning: :grinning:
Checking now

Hi Steve. I’m sorry I could not sort it out.
Way too complicated for me.
I suppose I should send you a personal enquiry.
Kind regards

Trevliga Spel Forum.

> It looks like all devs remains stuck in a MTC approach regarding synchronization between daws and nle’s, while another simple solution would be kind of plugin that :

*> - would simply copy daw’s current timecode everytime it receives a mackie ‘stop’ command *

> That way everytime I need to sync the NLE to the daw I simply need to press a macro shortcut that :

> 1) opens the NLE timecode windows (Vegas : Ctrl G)
> 2) paste (the timecode in Windows buffer memory)
> 3) type Enter.

> Done.

> Now both daw and nle, receiving a common mackie start order from a controller, will play from same timeline point without any delay, prebuffer delays, mtc offset, and so on.

> I’ve got some very good results between Studio One and Vegas, with very little drifting or need of adjustment.

Just my two cents, here, I admit I have no idea about the ‘how’

Hi,

Thanks for following up. MT Pro cannot put timecode natively into a clipboard, however it should be able to navigate to your NLE and paste there if you have the necessary DAW shortcuts to select the correct location to paste.

Feed free to email or message me if interested in paid services.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care