Translate decimal to hex in rules?

I’ve set a series of clip triggers to specify a pp value via rules with incremental values up to 40 (the APC’s max clip trigger). I appear to only be able to specify these as decimal values not the hex values that “90 00 pp” would require to set a colour value.

Am I missing a simple addition to the rule ? I’ve tried #value, however it’s not accepting that nor a direct hex value.

Many thanks,

T

Hi,
In rules if you want to input hex type preceding with 0x

for instances

pp=0x40
// The above is decimal 64

Bome MIDI Translator will convert it for you and when you later go back to rules it will say

pp=64

In the output section (for instance MIDI raw output), just enter the hex value (no 0x prepended)

Example:
90 00 pp
90 00 40

MT Pro is smart enough to know that in the first example to send as hex 40

Also, you can use a calculator. Windows calculator has a “Programmer” mode which you can input in hex, octal, binary or decimal and it will convert for you.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
2 Likes

Wonderful. Thank you so much.

T

Okay, Ive created a small test patch which sets clip trigger colours from 1 - 40, and shows their relevant colour on keys. I’ve also set the values of pp in rules manually to the decimal value directly first. Then changed the rules to the above 0xValue method.

The patch waits for a clip trigger, and then when i press the RIGHT BANK SELECT button I fill the entire clip trigger with the pp value.

It’s not actually using the value for some reason? Should i change to global values ? Or am i too drunk, and its too late for me to catch this?

ApologiesCOLOUR CHOOSER.bmtp|attachment (2.8 KB)

I’ll look but your attachment didn’t make the trip. If you are using a timer in a different translator than then incoming trigger, then yes, you will need a global variable.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Just had a thought … I’ll check the APC40 mode …

The mode will not affect the main matrix buttons, only the select buttons below that are toggle in default mode 0.

Yeah, including the mode select sysex didn’t change anything. Weird. In theory i thought it would magically work…

Hi,

1. Select your first preset
  2. Direct input and output to your APC40-MK 2
  3. In translator 0.17 put a rule like below
    pp=30
    // or whatever color you wish

Now try and press your Right bank select button

Now try

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks for taking the time to look at this with me. I’ve scaled it back.
So, It gives the entire palette of colours, however only 00 (bottom left clip trigger is usable to choose its colour.

Upon pressing it (I theoretically thought the value of pp would be set to 01 (as per colour displayed)).

Pressing the RIGHT SHIFT then changes all the clips to most definitely the wrong colour.

This is weird.

The value pp is a local variable and is only visible with translators with the exact incoming trigger.
Try using ga instead as it is a global variable. Press F1 or help within Bome MIDI Translator to consult the user manual and the differences between global a local variables.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you again. I’ll give the global variables a go. I had also realised i was running 1.8.3, so i’ve updated to latest version (in case that was an issue).

Cheers.

T

This might help you do it with a repeating timer. Press any pad on the matrix and all 40 pads will light up with the color of the pressed pad note value.

I use ga as the note color and gb for the timer to determine which LED we are sending to.

set-pallat.bmtp (1.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks again. The global variables did the trick. And looking at that script, it’s so much more elegant than what i’m working on. Some great pointers. Cheers.

1 Like