Triple Updates & Bluetooth MIDI

Just wanted to drop a line and say thank you for the triple updates. Maybe Bluetooth MIDI support in MTP 2.0?

1 Like

Yes, there is still a lot of things to do on the list. Still I’m pretty excited about some of the recent additions!

BRAVO!
I just fired up v1.9 a few minutes ago. The Log Window quick filter is an excellent new feature and I know it will simplify debugging immensely.
I’m not sure, but there seems to be something in the new handling of MIDI ports that has taken care of something that’s been quite vexing:

With v1.84, if I launched Ableton Live before launching MT, Live somehow hijacked one (just one) of the ports used for my 8 AKAI APC Minis. For some reason it was always #6 of 8. This was easily avoided by launching MT first.
However, if I had to terminate MT due to a MIDI Buffer overflow for example, Ableton would then sneakily hijack that port so that when I relaunched MT, I’d get an error message telling me that MT couldn’t open that port since another application had it open.
I’m not entirely sure the problem is gone now with 1.9. I’ve tested it only a few times, and it worked several times, but on two occasions it didn’t. I’ll report back soon.
In any case, I’m looking forward to seeing what other delights there are in the new version.
Thanks,
Gabriel

Thank You for this update!
Now all the way with OSC please!
Paolo

Hi Gabriel,

I think it will be more stable now if you select all ports that you will want open at the project level and then only the ones you want to send or receive from at the preset (or translator) level. This should cause MT Pro to hold the ports open for you so that Ableton Live cannot sneak in and steal a port.
This is more a function of various Windows applications rather than Bome MIDI Translator itself. If an application is in a loop trying to open a port, as soon as another application closes it, the requesting application will immediately open (as you say “hijack”), the port.

Ableton Live is particularly problematic in this way since it recognizes the APC-MINI as a MIDI remote script supported device. Perhaps if you were to remove the APC-MINI remote script definition (move it to a different folder so Ableton Live does not see it), the issue will be less prevalent. I believe the remote scripts find the desired port by their reported Windows device USB names

Let me know if this helps.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Totally agree with the sentiment. Love the updates. I’ve been using MTP for a number of years now and it’s been awesome to see the active and responsive development and customer service. It’s getting to be such a rare thing these days, I felt compelled to express my gratitude. I haven’t needed to ask anything as of yet because I have always found the info I needed somewhere in the forum history or videos.
I will also throw my vote for what it’s worth to OSC implementation.
Thanks again!

Yes. OSC would be nice but since OSC is a network protocol it will more than likely fit as part of Bome Network instead of Midi Translator Pro.

There are a few tools out there that can convert back and forth from OSC to MIDI, but they are not really easily user configuratble.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yeah, I’ve looked at several options, but have been holding out for a “bomified” solution. Will it be a part of a translation system? I understand if you aren’t able to say at this point. I guess I’m just curious if there are current plans to allow OSC to be used in conjunction with variables/rules/conversion to other data types or not.
I appreciate anything you can share on this. Since the announcement of OSC a while back, I have not pursued other OSC translation options but probably would if there weren’t plans to include it in conjunction with translation.

Hi, I’m not privy to any kind of release schedule. Sorry!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,
I’m not sure what you mean by selecting all the ports that I will want to open at the project level etc etc. Could you please explain.
Also, I don’t understand how MT could prevent Live from hijacking the port if i have to exit MT because of a freeze.
I have already moved the APC MIDI Remote Scripts. This does take care of much of the problem. Before I did it, all the ports would be hijacked by Live, for example, if I launched Live first. But with the scripts moved, most of the problem went away. However, strangely, Live still found a wa to capture one of the 8 APC ports.
Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,

Yes you can define ports at the project level and they will always stay open until the project is closed.
If you define them at the preset level, the open when the preset is enabled and they close when the preset is disabled. At the translator level they open and close as they are needed.

There is no way to prevent hijacking of ports if you shut down MT Pro unless you use Bome Network Virtual Ports which I do. I can name them something different so Live doesn’t bother opening them. I can also route a given hardware port to multiple named virtual ports similar to what you do in MT which allows multiple applications access to the same physical port (through one of it’s virtual ports).

What I haven’t been able to figure out is how to rename a physical port so that Ableton or other DAWs don’t even bother with it. I’m sure it can be done but I think it requires registry edits which I try to stay away from. Of course if you connect through BomeBox, you can name the port anything you want with Network Unlimited Virtual Port names and the application will never see the original port name.

I’m glad at least Live is not hijacking your ports as much.

Take care!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hello Steve, Sorry to ask, but wasn’t a working prototype of OSC inside Bome under test for some time?
I remember something was said in this forum, but maybe it was abandoned. (I would be very disappointed, but life goes on)

Indeed, I heard that too but I suspect the focus is now on MIDI 2.0 capabilities as well as other things. I never saw the prototype.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care