This a summary of a bug report submitted a few days ago, please advise/delete this post if it is not appropriate to double post here.
I have a push2 (User mode) and an AKAI MPK225 (2nd device i.e. Channels Bxx) connected to my PC with Ableton Live 10 (Build 10.1.9 2020-02-05).
Both of them have dedicated translators to produce the same cc# (on channel # 1) on their corresponding virtual ports, which are mapped to buttons through Ableton live standard midi mapping functionality.
If I use any of the devices with the other unplugged everything is working fine, and the translators are behaving as expected.
Now if the Push 2 is plugged 1st, then when I plug the MPK 225, the status of the push 2 (user) port changes, making it unusable.
Message are flagged with [port closed] in the Log Window, while/despite reported as Open on the project.
The same happens in reverse order. if I plug MPK 225 1st, then when I plug the Push 2, the status of the MPK 225 (user) port changes, making it unusable.
Both devices are flowing through Translator Pro with the following routes in the project MIDI Router section :
- Ableton Push2 2 --> Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out
- Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In --> Ableton Push2 2
- MPK 225 2 --> Bome MIDI Translator 2 Virtual Out
- Bome MIDI Translator 2 Virtual IN --> MPK225 2
Virtual ports BMT1 and BMT2 (I use short names) are activated in Ableton Live MIDI settings with "Track" and "Remote" buttons set to ON for both virtual ports Inputs and Outputs (which is necessary to capture CC and Notes MIDI messages).
This is what happens in the "Errors" Window, starting with both devices unplugged :
1/ Plug the push2
- MIDI OUTPUT 'Ableton Push 2 2' now successfully opened.
- MIDI INPUT 'Ableton Push 2 2' now successfully opened.
2/ Plug the MPK 225
- MIDI INPUT 'Ableton Push 2 2' unexpectedly closed. It is set to 'pending'. <----- Problem
- MIDI OUTPUT 'MPK225 2' now successfully opened.
- MIDI INPUT 'MPK225 2' now successfully opened.
- MIDI INPUT 'Ableton Push 2 2' now successfully opened. <--- this message appears after some delay (~ 15 seconds)
giving the false hope that the situation is resolved, although Push 2 do not need to be closed and reopened IMHO.
Please note that the port status is reflected accordingly in the Project MIDI IN & OUT ports windows
3/ Press a CC key on the Push 2
I have translators implemented to track button status in Push and implement a toggle function, as well as custom colors through the CC Value.
This is what happens in the Log Window when a CC button is is pressed on my Push 2 :
- 1689662 - MIDI IN [Ableton Push 2 2]: B0 14 7F
- [Some translation here, just forwarding the message in this case]
- 1689662 - MIDI OUT [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out]: B0 14 7F <-- Normal as the result of the translation, could also be B0 14 00 depending on the toggle status
The following event is the response from Ableton, since CC are mapped to some track on/off control in Live (Track activators, actually). Please note that event # has changed.
- 1689868 - MIDI IN [Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In]: B0 14 7F
- [Some translation here, 7F is changed to 1C to set a custom color on the push2]
- 1689868 - MIDI OUT [Ableton Push 2 2]: B0 14 1C
- 1689868 - OUT 3.2 Control Change on ch. 1 with CC#:pp=20 and value:ga=28 [port closed] <-- PORT CLOSED so the MIDI OUT message does not reach the Push 2 device.
Please note that the Push 2 output is still reported as "open" in the Project MIDI IN & OUT ports windows.
I see two probably correlated issues here :
- plugging or unplugging the MPK should not impact the Push 2 INPUT status (and vice versa), although it is supposedly restored after some delay
- even after reopening the push 2 (15 seconds later), the outgoing message should be delivered and not reported as [port closed], see event # 1689868
Please note :
- I did not touch any of the ports appearing in windows device manager.
- I have reinstalled Translator Pro several times with no success, including virtual port reconstruction
- I have tried to map the MPK 225 to another channel (and adjust the translators accordingly) with the same results
Below are links to my project files :
Project, exported as text: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZG5_hWKuUfYb-jxL6nbvFfQAKiEqHtRE
Thank you for your support.
I am at your disposal for further information and hope that your isolation is going well.