Two X-Touch Mini & BomeBox

Ok, let me refine the question from my last post. I am thinking about how to upgrade my control surface, so thoughts go for- and backwards :slight_smile:

My idea is to combine two X-Touch Mini to give me 16 rotaries & 32 buttons. I want them to appear as one device to Bome MT Pro, running on my main machine. To combine them I am thinking about using a Bome Box 1 with a usb-hub to allow for two USB inputs. I also want to use the Bome Box to run some BMT project in order to refine the functionality like double-tap, …

The whole thing should than connect to my computer via ethernet (or wifi), where BMT does the high-level processing.

I am using BMT since years so I know all its features. Just don’t know:

  1. How Bome Box would connect via wifi. Do current versions of BMT support this directly (which version?) or do I need a man in the middle?
  2. If I need to update BMT, will my current project run without issues? I am currently on version 1.9.0 Build 2022.
  3. Does Bome Box accept two identical controllers (i.e. two midi connctions with the same name) as the name of the X-T mdid port cannot be changed.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

BomeBox has both ethernet and WiFi. You would use one or the other but not both. You would use Bome Network to connect to your computer. If you have the paid version of Bome MIDI Translator Pro then you could actually load and run the project on BomeBox after developing it on your computer. Bome MIDI Translator Pro does not have networking capabilities itself but Bome Network would expose the ports to your computer. If you are using a DAW that support Mackie MCU then you generally set up the first device to control the first 8 faders and the second as an extender.

Yes it should however there are a few more features with 1.9.2 but we maintain backward compatibility whenever possible.

Yes it will enumerate them so that they would have separate names, this is handled by the BomeBox operating system. You may want to always connect them to the same port on the USB hub so that BomeBox always shows them in the order you want.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care
Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hello Steve,

Many thanks for your reply. Very much apprechiated. Two more things:

You mentioned Bome Network. I guess its similar to RTP-Midi. I am already using RTP Midi, can I use it instead (for the sake of simplicity) or do I need to run the BOME protocol in parallel?

If I connect two X-T Mini to my computer, will BMT also enumerate the Midi ports? Asking because I will develop on BMT, than transfering to Bome Box.

Best, Michael

Yes, you could use RTP-MIDI if you would like or you can run them in parallel. The version of Bome Network you would run is free to transfer MIDI to and from a BomeBox so you could try it out and then decide which is easier.

Usually any MIDI devices exposed with the same name will be enumerated so that they become unique. This is true on both Windows and MacOS.

If you don’t have a BomeBox you will likely need to wait because we are completely out of stock and in the process of certifying BomeBox 2. You might find a used one on eBay or similar though.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care
Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz