USB host problems

Hi,
I’m sorry you are having issues! I don’t think there are any hard limits. Let me check further and get back to you. I assume you are using powered USB hubs as 20 devices without powered hubs could certainly draw too much current.

Also, how are you powering your BomeBox and if you have a list of USB devices that might also shed some light on the situation.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Yes, I am using powered hubs. The BomeBox is being powered through USB. If you think Ethernet power would solve the problem, then I will order one. Is that a Cat5 or Cat6 cable? Do you think that’s the most likely problem? I’ll get a list together of the devices, but as I said I have been able to get the BomeBox to recognize each device individually at some point so it seems like it’s the BomeBox and not the devices themselves.

Also, if it isn’t too obvious (haha), I have absolutely zero knowledge regarding Ethernet power. Looking at 48v injectors on Amazon right now… is 15w enough? Or is 30w more suitable for the issue I’m having?

Hi,

I find my POE much more reliable than USB because it has higher voltage and a connector that is less susceptible to come loose. But I don’t think this is the issue. My guess is there may be a firmware update required due to the default settings of the current BomeBox firmware. Not many people use this many USB devices and although it is not a hardware limit, there may be a parameter in kernel software (which would require a firmware update) that is causing the issue. I have escalated the ticket in case this is the issue. But best to look at all other possible causes in case I’m wrong.

This is the POE that I have (24w) and it seems to do the trick. The cable is CAT5.

Again, you may not need it and there is seldom an issue with wattage when you have powered USB hubs. For me it is a matter more of using an unpowered USB hub (1wMax) or having a connector that won’t come loose.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

OK, I have a feeling that the power may not be the issue as well, especially if your expertise is pointing you towards a firmware issue. So, I take it, this is going to be a wait and see thing on my part?

This post is the one that is making me lean toward firmware.

I think Florian created a custom build for this user and is now up and running. (I’m hoping that is the issue anyway).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

15W should be plenty. You will still need powered USB hubs as this power supply will not increase the wattage requirement coming from BomeBox through the USB host jack.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Well, I would be happy to try the alternate firmware before placing any orders for equipment I may not need. Will await your instructions.

Sounds good, I’m also reading up on how nesting hubs work. For instance a 7 port hub is really 2 4 port hubs nested. I’m not sure how the architecture of a 10 port hub is or you might even have 2 16 port hubs. Maybe if you plugged each of your 2 powered hub into a 4 port non powered hub instead of nesting the then together, there would be less nesting layers and it would work. Again, I’m a little rusty on how large hubs are nested

Steve

For the record, it’s a 16 port hub and a 10 port hub. Also, in terms of the firmware, it might be worth noting that a few of the devices present more than 1 port when connected… some of them present 2 and one of them even presents 5, so that might need to be taken into account in terms of the quoted amount of 20 devices.

OK, I think a 16 port hub is 5 4 port hubs cascaded (4x4port hubs cascaded to another 4 port hub)
A 10 port hub is usually 3 4 port hubs cascaded - (2 cascaded from 1)

So cascading 1 off of the other might make it too deep

Also, if I were to suspect any devices that expose more than one port, my suspect would be on the one that exposes 5 as typically class compliant devices do not have odd numbers of exposed ports.

I think there is a limit of 8 exposed virtual ports on any given physical USB device but I think that is the kernel config I was talking about about. I think the plan is to expand that in a future firmware revision. I’m not sure there is any limit (beyond the USB 255) device addresses otherwise. I’m not sure if there is a limit on the nesting levels.

If you have an unpowered 4 port hub, try plugging that into BomeBox and then each of your two powered hubs off of that. It will probably reduce the nesting levels depending on how your hubs are built.

Steve

Just tried with the unpowered hub. Still coming up short. I think it was 14 in, 16 out this time. A little higher than before but still not all of them.

The device with the numerous ports is the Novation SL MKIII. I believe it’s 3 inputs and 5 outputs. Otherwise, my Launch Control XL and Launchpad Mini MKIII, as well as my Minilogue xD modules, all expose 2 ports each.

So do you have 20 physical devices with more than 1 logical port each or are you talking about 20 logical USB device ports. I think right now there is a limit in the software of 8 logical devices per 1 physical USB port but I think that will be increased to 32 logical devices per physical port. My memory is not to good on this though so I might be wrong. I think the more information we have on your configuration, the quicker we will be able to solve this. In general I think USB allows 7 nesting levels but some computers choke when going more than 3 levels. I’m not sure of the BomeBox spec but I think the levels is tied more to software than hardware.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Here’s my device list…

Controllers:
M-Audio Hammer 88
Arturia Keystep (x2)
Beatstep Pro
Novation SL MkIII
Novation Launch Control XL
Novation Launch Pad Mini Mk3
Midi Fighter Twister (x2)
Korg Nanokontrol 2 (x2)
Akai LPD8

Instruments:
Synthstrom Deluge
Korg Minilogue xD (x2)
Korg Wavestate
Behringer Model D
Moog Minitaur
Waldorf Blofeld

You’re also completely correct about the 8 devices. It was indeed 14 in 16 out, but the actual number of physical devices being recognized is 8.

Aha, the plot thickens. Florian is in Germany so he will probably answer before I get up tomorrow morning. He is the owner and developer so he would probably need to provide the fix. I’m in Portland Oregon. I’m feeling more confident that it is probably the kernel config and that a custom firmware update will be required until new standard firmware is available. Hopefully he has a build for you already and that if not it won’t take long (no promises though from me). He is usually good about this type of thing.

Steve

Thank you so much for the assistance. I’ll check back here in the morning and see what you gentlemen have come up with.

@dspignati my apologies for this problem. I’ve just sent you the beta firmware via email.

Thanks @florian !!!

So I’ve got the firmware up and running and it seems to be behaving properly! It’s recognizing every input and output, as well as creating an alias for each. I’ll check back in once I work out my routings and give it a functional test, but I must take this moment to thank you both for your attention and assistance. This is simply amazing as far as product support goes.

I do have a couple questions that will help me with my routing:

1. I wasn’t quite able to ascertain the meaning of the USB auto aliases and the purpose they serve. Any clarification for this?
  2. Is there any way to rename midi devices? For the devices that I have pairs of, I would like a way to tell them apart. As it is now, using the example of my NanoKontrol2’s, it simply recognizes the one that gets plugged in first as NanoKontrol2 and the second NanoKontrol2 2. Turning them on in reverse order produces the opposite result. Just wondering if there is a practical solution to this. The USB hubs have individual switches, so if there is no solution in the device I can simply switch them on in desired order. No worries.