USB Midi controller with windows machine and iPad advice please

Hi Steve,

I wonder if you could offer a little advice please, as you know I use a software package on windows 10 (never mentioned it before, it’s Pangolin Beyond www.pangolin.com). I also have Drambo on my iPad (M1 pro with usb c) that can record incoming midi and play it back as a repeating loop on the fly. I’ll be using my APC 40 mk2 or similar as the midi controller.

I want to use my APC normally in Beyond but be able to record a bit in Drambo and play it back out into Beyond (on top of what I’m still doing still on the controller).

I’m pretty sure I’ll need some clever MTP goodness going on, along with some work in Beyond, but am confused as to how to even start getting the three devices connected and seeing eachother.

Edit: I found out that iPad don’t expose it’s midi to Windows…

Hi, your iPad should be able to talk to your PC with no problem. It could be, however that some iPad applications don’t expose individual ports. I’ve found this with a couple of applications.

What to test:

On you PC while you iPAD is connected Bome Network and your application is also open on the iPAD. Go to the Bome Network Tool on your PC and see if you can see it exposing any Remote Direct MIDI ports. You should be able to click on the switch to enable it on your PC and use it just like any locally attached MIDI port on your PC.

If you want you can show me what your Bome Network Tool shows while connected to your iPAD. It should be something like “IpadName:portname” where portname is the application (probably Dramba) on your iPad.

Once exposed, you can use MT Pro to dynamically change MIDI routes or the Bome Network router which is also dynamic but more of a manual routing process.

Let me know if you find anything more out.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve, thanks for replying, is Bome network something to do with bomebox? I’m just trying to do this with midi translator pro on windows.

Cheers, Martin

How are you connecting your iPad to Windows? They are both USB hosts so you would not to do cable connection MIDI to MIDI USB between them.

The way USB works is Device to Host or Host to Device but not Device to Device or Host to Host.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I tried to just use a usb a to usb c cable and found that indeed the two don’t see each other. I explained my whole idea badly and should’ve probably started with just asking about getting the iPad and windows connection working, sorry about that.

I want to be cabled for sure, if I need to get a couple of cheap usb to midi adaptors, that’s fine but not keen on spending a lot on a dedicated box as I’m just experimenting at the moment

Cheese M

Hi,

You can use Bome Network Pro to connect your iPAD to your Windows machine and then route the iPAD MIDI input to your controller with cable. This would probably be the least expensive solution.

You would need to purchase Bome Network Pro for PC here and Bome Network for iPad on the Apple store.

iPAD <-> Bome Network Pro <-> Windows PC <-> USB Cable <-> Controller.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve, at quick glance it kind of looks like it’s for wireless. I must be wired

Oh, also I have no bone box and my Ethernet port is solely used to output to my laser hardware, nothing else can live on that

OK, I know of nothing that can do USB host to USB host so maybe you have to do USB host (iPad) to MIDI DIN and then MIDI DIN to controller (if the controller supports DIN). Otherwise, you would need to put it through your PC with another USB to MIDI DIN adapter.

Is there a reason it needs to be wired?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care