Using APC MINI MKII with Lanbox LCX

This is awesome @SteveC and @Shaneey
I just stumbled on this forum and found out about Bome MT from reading all these posts. I have a very similar use-case, I want to use the APC Mini MK2 as a midi controller to send commands to a DMX lighting controller, called the Lanbox LCX https://www.lanbox.com/ which has MIDI IN and OUT. It’s a very niche DMX controller, been around more than 20 yrs and I think the company has quietly disappeared into the abyss, but I have 7 of these controllers and they’re just amazing little devices. The goal is to essentially use the MK2 as a mini lighting desk, triggering different lighting cuelists. All of the DMX magic happens in the LCX, but externaly, a tactile control surface via the MK2 would be great. I realize there are probably hundreds of other solutions, but I just can’t seem to give up on my LCX boxes.

It sounds like Bome MT will be required to process/route/map from the MK2 as an input device and then output to the LCX.

I’m currently using a Macbook Pro M2 but also have access to an M1 and Intel based i5 Macbooks. I’m using a Mio 1-in/1-out USB to MIDI interface to get MIDI access to the LCX.

Does anyone out there see any glaring issues with this high-level design and use-case? It will be lots of trial & error and more research I’m sure, but you all have given me a head start with the mapping work you have done on the MK2!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

I don’t see any issues. The Mio1 USB to MIDI interface is what I have an occasionally use. You will likely be translating and routing note message to whatever The LCX needs. Is there a document on the LCX?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks!
Thankfully yes, they have some pretty descent documentation on the MIDI interface starting on page 49 of the manual PDF.
https://support.lanbox.com/Manuals/LCedit%20manual%204_1.pdf

Looks like MIDI note on/off, control change messages, and MIDI Show Control (MSC) are used to enable and activate features in the LCX. At a glance it looks like MSC and Program Change messages will be useful to trip various cue lists. I imagine this is where Bome MT will be mapping data that I can get from the MK2 over to the respective message types and values in MIDI for the LCX.

When you create your first translator. Post a description of what button you want to press and what the LCX message you want to send and I will help you out. After a few of these, you should be able to be on your onw.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Awesome, sounds good. I appreciate the head start, it will save me time on trial & error cycles!