Using BMT to open/close Cubase projects from Songbook+

I´m a new user of the BMT and first of all a big thanks to Steve Caldwell, who got me started right away. Short explanation of my setup here: In our cover-band we use Songbook+ to share the lyrics and more of the songs we´re playing, everyone has that on his iPad. Since I run Cubase with different sounds/projects for various different songs, I am now able to do that with bmt, catching a midi program change, which songbook+ sends out whenever opening a song. Steve told me how to do that with incoming trigger “the midi message”. Now obviously when playing a gig, after playing a song, we´ll open the next song, which sends out a new midi message, but at this point, Cubase has still opened the previous song, as closing the song in songbook will not send out a second midi message. So before opening a new track, I would have to tell Cubase to shut down either completely as application, or at least the open song, then set a time delay for opening the actual song with the new midi message. Any idea, how I could do that please? For outgoing messages I only have “execute file”, not “close file”. Kind regards, Rocky

You can use a combination of of the following outgoing actions

1. Focus on Cubase
  2. Keystroke to close Maybe Alt F4 (whatever Cubase uses)
  3. Wait for Cubase to complete the closing.
  4. Execute next song (which will open Cubase with the selected song.
    These are the outgoing actions and then you can put a different outgoingdelay to execute each action. The translators would all have the same incoming MIDI trigger.

The gotcha might b if you are propted by Cubase to confirm the action. You may need to have another action to send the confirmation. The idea hear is to emulate what you would normally do manually.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve, I solved this task with your help and a special workaround, I programmed an own song in my iPad called “Close Cubase” and that´s sending it´s own program change data through to BMT now. But closing only works since I ticked the box “Emulate keystrokes slowly”. With 30 ms it´s now actually closing down Cubase… Before that, even though the command was right, Cubase tried to open a new song instead of shutting down.
Thanks very much indeed for your help,
kind regards,
Rocky

Hi,

I’m glad it is working!

I’m thinking song load times might be pretty long. Are you loading songs as backing tracks or just for the purpose of using VSTs. If you are doing all of this for live performances, maybe there a better way to do this with shorter song load times than using Cubase?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve, well it´s the way I do it now, using my Phalanx Warrguitar (playing a 6-string-bass via tapping with my left hand and tapping the guitar strings with my right hand, which are connected to a Roland GR-55 via GK-Midi pickup) and altering my right hand with a piano, also connected to a Korg Synth. But… to save space on stage as the audience could hardly see me playing behind the 2 keyboards, I changed to the Native Instruments Komplete S88, hence I need Cubase to get the sounds. It also sounds a lot better and more natural, than my Korg Synth. Now I connected my Warrguitar to the Komplete Audio interface and also run them through Cubase, using Guitar Rig 6 for amp modelling and effects, all in one DAW. As I was Cubase user from version one on the Atari, I usually find my ways around. This last thing here might not be interesting for the other BMT users, so you could as well delete this. But thanks a lot for your help, it got me to where I want to be right now!

You might want to look into Gig Performer as I hear it is pretty awesome for live performance. Cubase really shines for standard DAW recording and playback. Song switching is also pretty fast. I’m not sure how much time it would take you to integrate all of your stuff from Cubase to Gig Performer but if you are using primarily for audio routing from your devices and VST’s in might be the way to go. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around taking maybe 15-20 seconds to switch songs. They have a 2 week free trial. I also support some musicians with scripting there. Some of them use both Bome Products and Gig Performer.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care