Using Midi Knobs/Mod Wheel/Pitch Bend to emulate a game controller / analog axis?

Hi there! Im new to Bome Midi Translator Pro & I already got simple key strokes working for my midi keyboard.

Now I was wondering if I could make use of any of the more gradual inputs, such as mod wheels, pitch bends or knobs to be used as their own dedicated axis, e.g. analog input simulating a game controller.

Is this even possible? If so, how do I go about it? I am hoping to use this input for flight/space sims where one needs finer inputs.

Thank you :slight_smile:

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Well Bome MIDI Translator itself, doesnโ€™t have any joystick actions. You might look into software that converts MIDI to Joystick. Years ago I heard about something called MIDI2Joy (or something like that) but I never pursued it.

Bome MIDI Translator Pro outgoing actions include mouse click, or movement as well as keystroke and of course MIDI.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Ah okay! Thanks! In the meantime I found out how to possibly control the mouse wheel with a knob. I was even following the official Bome tutorial on youtube ( Tutorial: Controlling a Mouse Wheel with a MIDI Encoder using Bome MIDI Translator - YouTube ) . My problem is, I have inputs on that knob between 0 and 127 but the teacher on the youtube channel only ever had to choose between two inputs. Now when I chose an input for positive and one for negative motion, it just moves it forward/backward one tiny step and then doesnt keep going until I eventually come back to that value. I feel I need to tell the program to detect if the value is going up or if it is going down rather than me having to define a Value. Does this make sense? I basically just need the program to know if im going up with the knob or down, but it seems to not like these 127 steps for some reason.

Check out the turorials on Relative to Absolute, Absolute to Relative and Relative to Keystroke.

Also moving a mouse with an encoder.

None of these produce joystick actions, however but may get you closer to what you are looking for.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz