Using one button for different midi notes in order

Hello everyone! I’m completely new here - I’m helping a colleague set up a system to play live with Ableton, she’s playing double bass, singing and has an organ midi pedal to play some low notes. Given that all her limbs are busy, the only thing she can add is another small midi pedal to occasionally press a button on. I’m setting up an Ableton session for her with dummy clips which contain parameter automations so that she can for example morph the sounds played on the organ midi pedal into other sounds over a period of time. The show will require to set up many of these automations, much more than the amount of buttons on the midi pedal, and therefore I’m trying to figure out if it would be possible to use BOME so that pressing only one of the buttons triggers a different midi note each time. For example the first time it’s pressed it would play C1, the next time D1, the next E1, etc. This way i can map each of these notes to each automation clip in the order they would be played on the live show and she can just use one button to progress.

Is this possible? How would I go about setting this up? I don’t own the software yet but if it’s possible we will definitely buy it !

Many thanks in advance
Best,
Ariel

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

The attached should give you an idea. You can use our free trial of Bome MIDI Translator Pro to test it. It if fully functional, however times out every 20 minutes.

I use the global variable ga as a general counter and gb for last note played.

There are two translators. They both receive note-on note 0 as input. The first one looks at the value of ga (the counter) and sets a local variable tt depending on the counter. After that the counter is incremented, but will reset to 0 if it goes over value of 2. This example is for 3 notes. It also sets the variable gb to the current note.

The second translator will simply send the note number gb to the last played note-on and send a note-off with a 100ms delay.

The rules for manipulating the note number is all in the first translator and shown below

// determine note number from ga
pp=ga
// set the outgoing note number depending on the count
if pp==0 then tt=pp+24
if pp==1 then tt=pp+26
if pp==2 then tt=pp+28
// increment counter
ga=ga+1
// Reset counter to cycle through again
if ga>2 then ga=0
//set last note number for sending note-ff
gb=tt

There are no rules with the second translator, however the output is delayed by 100ms and we send a note off to ensure there are no stuck notes.

I set up aliases as follows.

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

different-midi-notes.bmtp (1.6 KB)

If this is all over your head, I invite you to look at our tutorials and/or press F1 or help within Bome MIDI Translator Pro to read more about what is happening here.

Of course, questions here are also welcome!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz