Virtual Named Ports assignment

I am working through my system trying to get the Bome system working with my setup. I’ve hit a bit of a snag with the Virtual Named Ports. I am confused as to how to set them up to work with my BomeBox translators. Currently I have my Launch control setup and controlling my Prophet and Matrix through the BomeBox Translators without the computer involved. When I connect to my computer and Ableton, I can access the Virtual Named Ports I’ve created, and I can send notes, but when I send CC’s from Ableton, they are not being translated. So I’m curious how the virtual ports need to be routed/setup in order to pass through the translators?

here is a minimal diagram of my setup:

Hi about 90% of the time you create a route from the virtual port in to the virtual port out. But this is probably not helpful for BomeBox.

With that said, I don’t think the virtual ports on you computer will be seen on BomeBox (yet). It will only see individually attached USB ports and your computer main network port. I believe Remote MIDI Direct on BomeBox is a planned feature that right now is only available one way from BomeBox. You can expose BomeBox MIDI ports over Bome Network to computers but not the other way around. You can also expose your virtual ports from computer to computer.

Are you trying to create multiple paths from Ableton Live to different devices on your BomeBox? The only way I would know to currently address it is to encode your messages into your own Sysex Format that has bytes that contain the path at the sending end (using MT Pro) and then decoding on the receiving end back to the original message. Essentially you are sending everything over the single stream connection and using MT Pro to play traffic cop.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Yes I’m creating a path (virtual named port) for each synth I have and sending them individually from Ableton to their respective hardware ports on the other side of the bomebox. That works. I only have a couple of synths that require translators right now. I wanted to send those paths through the translators then to their respective hardware outputs but that’s what I haven’t been able to figure out. I guess I just assumed Ableton data would merge with the LaunchControl data and go to the proper ports. So there is only one stream available from the computer to the bomebox? That’s unfortunate.

You might need to set up Bome MIDI Translator on your computer for stuff that iis coming from Ableton Live. Set up Abelton Live to sent to your virtual ports, then have MT Pro on your computer route to the the Remote MIDI ports on your BomeBox

Ableton Live → Virtual Port A In Routed to Virtual Port A Out-> Bome MIDI Translator → BomeBox:Remote MIDI Port

And then set up a thru path on MT Pro running on the computer for anything that you don’t want translated. Does this make sense? Sure you need a computer, however you would anyway to get stuff to/from Ableton Live.

Yes BomeBox recognizes all USB and MIDI Din devices separately but does not currently recognize separately attached devices remotely connected from the computer.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz