Virtual Out is Pending (Unplugged)

Hi,
I added extra Virtual Ports and then things sort of broke. So I tried changing the number back to 1 but get this message when I load an old project and now it doesn’t work. If I press the (Yes) things still don’t work.

And somehow the number of port is 18 which is weird because there can only be up to 9.
Please Help.

I ran into this before and I suspect it is a Cubase midi port issue. I think you might need to remove the offending MIDI port definitions in Cubase and then restart Cubase and add them back later. See this post.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi,
Thanks for the reply,
I actually did remove the MCU’s from Cubase and then started it up again. But this didn’t fix it. I haven’t had a chance to read the post yet. Would a re installation of Bome MTP work do you think?.

I don’t think so, I think it is more of a Cubase MIDI port reset thing.

Steve

Hi Jesse, a couple of points:

• what do you mean with things sort of broke ?
  • In MT Pro, if a port is listed as Unplugged, it only means that it once existed or was referenced in an alias. After closing the project and restarting MT Pro, these unplugged ports should be gone.
  • Also, you can check your MIDI port list for aliases which use the virtual ports and remove them (they will be recreated when loading a project file which uses these aliases).
  • When you load a project file, MT Pro checks for usage of virtual ports in the project. If it uses Bome MIDI Translator 8 Virtual In it will prompt if you would like to change the number of virtual ports to 8 so that the project works correctly.
  • could you please post this old project file so that we can evaluate what’s happening there?

Thanks!
Florian

Ok I got it going again. Just needed to delete all the MCU’s in Cubase.
Very strange that old projects were loading with 18 unplugged virtual ports.
What broke was this:
I was capturing Raw MIDI from the MCU’s in Cubase to activate/deactivate Presets in BMT Pro.
I realized that I needed more MCU’s as they only accommodate 8 tracks each.
So I added a few more. Then I discovered that now Cubase was sending specific track data on a different MCU, with different raw MIDI, which basically undid all my work. So I tried deleting them and that’s when I got the prompt to add the missing ports. And that’s when BMT 1 Out stopped sending to Cubase, even in my old projects. :frowning:

Cubase is all over the place with this. The MCU’s are out of order and Cubase will send 1 tracks data on e.g. MCU 4, MCU 6, MCU 7 and MCU 8 which makes the whole thing unusable. And a couple of the MCU’s were useless as they were on a sort of loop, spitting out non stop data.

As usual, thanks for great support you guys provide.

Indeed, when I ran into this problem, I had to fix it in Cubase so I’m pretty sure it is not an issue with Bome Virtual ports. I had to do the same and also disable and then re-enable all of the Virtual MIDI ports (in Cubase, not MT Pro) to get them to come alive again. The pending status is not in MT Pro (it shows open) only in Cubase. Sometimes Cubase shows everything is OK but it simply does not receive from a given MIDI port. The only way I’ve ever been able to fix it is to either use another port in Cubase, or to disable and re-enable the offending ports in Cubase.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Could you please explain how you disable/enable the MIDI ports in Cubase. I hid them, but then when I checked them again, they were still ‘Inactive’. Also, when you say that you had to use another port in Cubase, what exactly do you mean?. Do you mean that if one of my Mackie Controls is no longer sending to Bome, to just create another one?. Because I have found that adding or removing them completely jumbles anything that has already been assigned to them.

It has been a while but I think I disabled them for all input output. I deleted all Mackie Configurations and then re-enabled and re-assigned. them. I might have even used reset on the MIDI menu. I can’t remember exactly so maybe you should talk to the Cubase folks or review on their forum how they solve stuck MIDI ports. I just know it had nothing to do with what was done in MT Pro.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Hey,
No, there is definitely something going wrong in Bome MT Pro regarding the Pending (Unplugged) issue. I just added 4 ports, the normal way, then changed back to 1 and it looks like this. Even in a new project. I didn’t even start up Cubase or any other software that uses MIDI.

Do you have Bome Network Running? There may be some other MIDI application that you are aware of running in the background. Could you post your Windows task list?

You can do this by pressing Win-R then and the prompt type
cmd
When the command prompt shows up, simply type

tasklist > c:\tmp\tasklist.txt
Then upload the file

Also post or email me your project file.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok, I may have had VE Pro running. It’s back to normal now.

I do think this is a fairly odd behaviour. I am not really familiar with all the inner workings of MIDI ports, but if I add some and then remove them, I don’t expect my other projects to be affected. It’s a bit scary when all the ports are ‘Unplugged’ in every project.

Yes, this is pretty much a Windows thing. Windows applications cannot share MIDI ports so the first application that opens a given MIDI port wins and all other applications will not be able to open that port. If there is a way in VE Pro to define just the ports you want to use that are not being used by any other application, that would be good. This is one way we use Bome Virtual MIDI ports so that we can directly MIDI to multiple applications from a single MIDI device.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Hey,
Don’t mean to troll, but could someone explain why there is so much data coming through the virtual in ports when I simply press a key on my Roland digital piano. In this video you can see when I press one key I get around 120 messages. Is there a way to stop this as when I play back a project, there are literally millions of messages.
Oh, and I found out what was killing the MIDI ports. For some reason if I hide the MIDI tracks in the Mix Console, they stop sending data. Joy!

What you are seeing looks like Mackie Metering messages. There is no way to stop from seeing them in the log, however you can use a translator to suppress them from going back to your digital piano.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

2 Likes