Virtual port confusion

Have myself confused. I’m using Translator Pro to send slide changes to Powerpoint. Works great. Would like to to utilize more midi input. Can I have input from more than one virtual port output to one virtual out port?
Thanks

Hi,

I’m not exactly sure what you mean but I believe if you mean taking the input of multiple virtual ports and sending the output to a single virtual port, then yes. This would be a MIDI merge function.

If you mean taking input from 1 virtual port and sending to more than one virtual port then yes, this is a MIDI split function.

For the first situation, if the each device has different triggers for the same output function, you would need individual translators to handle the differences.

Now if you mean routing Bome Virtual Port output to Bome Virtual Port input in Bome MIDI translator, then no. A Bome MIDI Translator Virtual port only works if one end of the virtual port is MT Pro and the other end of the virtual port is non-MT Pro. Typically I use global variables and timers for this type of thing. You could also use third party MIDI pipes, however great care must be taken to prevent MIDI loops which can overwhelm and freeze the system.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Steve, hate to bug you again. Still having a problem with virtual inputs. I have two open virtual inputs set correctly at the preset level. Shouldn’t anything coming in on port 1 be ignored by port 2? It seems that data coming in on port 1 (preset 1) is also being processed by preset 2, though preset 2 is set to receive from port 2 only. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks

I would probably need to see your project file however.

Translator input and output will override preset input and output
preset input and output will override project input and output.

So my guess is you have a translator with a different defined input and output.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve, good point. I will examine them closely.
Thanks

Thank you Steve. You are a life saver. I found a couple of translators I had accidentally duplicated from one preset to another causing data to be output twice. I have to pay more attention when I’m moving things around. You input is priceless. Thank you again.
Glenn

Glad to help, Glenn!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care