VLC Video Playback Speed via MIDI Fader

Hi everyone!

I’m trying to adjust the Playback Speed of a Video with a Fader of my Intech Grid Module. I’m getting everything working and communicating with each other, but the steps are way too big and kind of chaos if I adjust the fader. the video should play at 100% when the fader is in the middle, and if I turn the fader down, the video should be slower and if I turn it up, it should be faster - always being able to get to 100% again, when it’s back in the middle.

does anyone have an idea, how to accomplish this in detail? like I said I can connect it to translate the buttons on the device into +/- keystrokes. but it would be perfect if I could use it with the fader…it’s for an art exhibition. Can someone give me a push into the right direction?

Software: VLC Player, Bome Midi Translator Pro, MacOS
Hardware: Intech Grid Controller

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Do you have a Bome project file started? If so could you post it?
What keystrokes have you assigned each hotkey for speed movement? I believe VLC Player allows you to customize these?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve,

thanks for your reply!

i have assigned the keystrokes ‘up’ & ‘down’. these keys are responsible to change the video speed in VLC (customized the in VLC). like I said, with just a button it’s working great. I’m just searching a way to do this with the fader.

I’ll attach the project file here. the two activated translators are for the buttons. the deactivated I started to try the fader.

Sandra Ausstellung.bmtp (1.7 KB)

OK, I think I can work with this. The questions I have.

When VLC is at normal speed (center position) how many up keystrokes does it take to get to fastest position?

When VLC is at normal speed (center position) how many up keystrokes does it take to get to slowest position.

The way it will need to work with a fader, is that you will need to syncronize your control surface with VLC center position (perhaps with a button), so that we move the fader it moves the right amount and in the right direction.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

hey - thanks so much for your help!!

it’s 20 keystrokes (up) to reach the fastest position and 7 keystrokes (down) to reach the slowest position.

Wow, that is quite a bit different from center to top and center to bottom.

So for now I will ignore the precision but it might be necessary to re-calibrate the fader periodically. I’m running on Windows PC so you will need to change some things from the attached project.

I created a new preset and disabled your current preset.

Translator 1.0 takes your control change and stores it into the global variable ga using rules.

Then it looks to see if we are in calibration mode or not by looking at the global variable ‘gb’. We put gb in calibration mode by holding note 24 on (translator 1.3) and we turn off calibration mode by releasing note 24 (translator 1.4)

Back to translator 1.0 we then look to see if the application is focused and if it is not perform a focus operation (translator 1.5) . We can tell if it is focused by translators 1.5 and 1.6 and setting the global variable gc accordingly. For these translators you will need to change from editplus (which I use in testing) to VLC.

We then look at the direction that we moved by comparing incoming values qq to the last known value ga and either go to label ‘Up’ or ‘Down’. In these routines we either send a perform action ‘Up’ or ‘Down’ (translator 1.1 and 1.2) that send the actual keystrokes.

So the key things you will need to do:

1. Change translators 1.6 and 1.7 to your application for incoming triggers.

2. Change translator 1.5 outgoing action to your application

3. Change 1.3 and 1.4 to the note number you want to use for calibration.

For calibration you press the note, center your fader then release the note.

Again, for now your fader may move VLC the incorrect amount but getting the proper thresholds for every move amount would be pretty tricky. You might want to set up rules in translator 1.0 so it only move the fader at given fader values, but that might not work because some controllers skip certain fader values if you move the quickly so you might not trigger anything.

Sandra Ausstellung-sjc.bmtp (3.9 KB)

Good Luck!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

hey Steve - again, thanks so much, thats awesome! I can’t test it right now, but will do so right after work. I’m sure I can work my way through this with your template!

1 Like