VST Live and AKAI APC MINI mk2

Hi there,

I have bought Bome’s Midi Translator, but I’m not a programmer, so I’m finding this all quite confusing.

I have 32 songs in VST live, and I can trigger each song using the top four rows on the APC.

I’d really like to light the first four rows with white - to show that they have tracks associated with them.

Then, for the track that is selected (armed/playing or stopped) to light Green.

Could someone help me with this, please?

Cheers,
Charlie

I managed to play with an existing translator and got this far…
Not quite what I want, but it is a start, can anyone help me get the rest of the programming right, please?

Charlie Experiment.bmtp (4.1 KB)

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Well since it you want your buttons to be exclusive (only one clipped launched. I changed the logic a bit.
I’m using a bitmap for the button states where ga = the bottom two rows (notes 0-31) and gb = the top 2 rows (notes 32-63)

Translator 2.0 sets the state of either ga or gb with only one button pressed and then calls the refresh timer (translator 0.5)

Translator 0.5 traverses the bitmap and determines and refreshes the state of the LED’s. I set the colors in rules where the top two rows are white for off and green for on. The bottom two rows are red for on an blue for off.

What I have not yet done is set it so that if you press a button that is already on, to toggle it off so at least one LED is always selected in each section once you push it.

I can help with this if you want but I’m not clear on the behavior you want but this should give you a good idea on how you can control 64 LED states with only 2 global variables.

Charlie Experiment-sjc.bmtp (4.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

In this version if you push a button that is already on it will turn the LED off. As far as what MIDI goes to your application, nothing has changed.
Charlie Experiment-sjc.bmtp (4.8 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you, so very much Steve, that is perfect!
Cheers,
Charlie

1 Like

Sorry, Steve, please could I ask for your help with one more thing?

We’re now controlling the Akai lights - perfect.

For the “application” (in my case VST Live) I need to send a midi CC message, in which data 2 selects the song. So, data2=0 selects song 1, etc… data2=1 selects song 2, etc… It could be any of the rarely used CC messges.

I need to the button, top left to send 0, then count across and then down 4 rows to 31. (selecting one of 32 songs in the app).

Can you please help me program a translator to do this?

I can make one button work, but I can’t think of a formula that works for all 32 buttons (and I guess it’s not efficient to write 32 lines!).

Thank you, Steve,

Cheers,
Charlie

Sure,
Half of the work was already done by breaking down the incoming note into rows and columns.

// only matrix buttons
if pp>63 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
// button map is reversed on rows
// determine row
rr=pp/8
rr=7-rr
Log "Log Row is %rr%"
// determine column
ss=pp%8
Log "Log Column is %ss%"

So I added this at the end to calculate the value and then coded in a CC number that MIDI shows as undefined.

// calculate value based on row and column
// add row to column to get value
// Formula is ss=ss+(8*rr)
// parenthesis first
tt=8*rr
// now add column
ss=ss+tt
Log "Log value is %ss%"

// outgoing cc number
uu=108

Here is the updated project file.

Charlie Experiment-sjc-2024-05-29.bmtp (4.9 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you, Steve!
I can’t wait to get home from work to try this!
Cheers,
Charlie

Thank you, Steve, this is fantastic! The top 32 buttons select the songs and light up to confirm the selection! Just brilliant.

Is there a way I can buy you a beer?

I’m now trying to assign the bottom (16) 32 buttons and the faders using the learn function in VST live. But I think Bome is ‘swallowing’ the midi?

I’m trying to assign the faders to control the volume 8 audio channels.
The 8 buttons above (the bottom row) to solo the channels.
And the 8 above that to mute.

Is there a way to pass the midi through on those buttons and faders?

I’m sorry to be such a pain.

Cheers,
Charlie

I don’t drink but feel free to PayPal me any amount you would like at the email address below.

First we would need to disable functions I have programmed for the bottom 32 buttons so that you can program them. Doing so will also turn off their LED feedback. I can leave the top 32 as they are and turn of buttons (and feedback) on the bottom half.

Then you would need to enable MIDI thru paths. Anything without a translators would follow the MIDI thru paths. Is this what you want? Note that this board is for advice and tips and not building your solution so you are getting close to paid services (outside of the scope of Bome Free support). I offer these services so you can email or PM me if you are interested.

With that said, I can make the required modifications that you have stated so far if I have it right.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Lower matrix and side buttons are now MIDI thru
Faders are also MIDI thru

Upper matrix buttons are still using translators. Changed the rules in several places to limit the scope of incoming buttons so that the MIDI thru paths would kick in.

Charlie Experiment-sjc-2024-05-29a.bmtp (5.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you, Steve