Wi-Fi light blinks when set to access point - though seems to be working

Hi-
When I set my WiFi to default (HotSpot) the WiFi light behaves as expected, it blinks when first turned on then goes solid. When I set WiFi to “Access Point” the WiFi blinks when turned on and stays blinking, but WiFi seems to be working OK, just keeps blinking : (
This persists with re-boots etc. Perhaps this is because of fixed IP somehow on Ethernet side?

Thank You

Hi,

Unlike a hotspot which provides it’s own network address (192.168.153.1 by default), an access point must obtain a network address through the ethernet side of the BomeBox interface. If the ethernet side of the interface is a DHCP master, then BomeBox will provided the address to the WiFi Interface. If the ethernet side is set as a client (the default), the master on the ethernet side will assign the network address.

In you situation, you probably have the ethernet side defined as a client and as such, there is no IP address being assigned to your WiFi unless you hook up your ethernet side to an existing network that has a DHCP master.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hmmmmm,

Bomebox is set as fixed IP, so nothing assigned from switch right? BUT the access point is in fact working and yet the WiFi light is blinking.

So, wifi thing not getting assigned an IP, BUT still working as access point??

Hi, I don’t believe that the WiFi is assigned an IP address if you have the ethernet set up as a fixed IP address. It would need to be a DHCP master (with no other masters on the network) or a DCHP client (where the master on the ethernet side assigns the address). You would instead, need to set up Wireless as a hotspot and not an access point.

Is there something you are trying to accomplish or are you just exploring?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you, as a hotspot it does not seem to allow access to the rest of the network, as an access point it does.

Hi,

Then you should probably set up the ethernet side as either DHCP master or DHCP client depending on your network configuration. Is there a reason you set up your ethernet as fixed IP?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

thx—

yes, different subnets due to hunting issues and instability, problem rooted in RME Dante devices creating loops… long story!

Yes, well the issue will be that if you don’t have something acting as a DHCP server, you might be able to connect wirelessly to your BomeBox if your ethernet has fixed IP, however since there is no DHCP server, the client you use for connecting would also have to be fixed IP on the same network as your BomeBox.

I believe in the fixed IP configuration on ethern,t , your WiFi has the same IP address as your ethernet, yet again, no way to dish out IP address to other WiFi Clients when they connect.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

thx again… so long story short I guess it works but it blinks (at least in this case) : )

Can you access it using a fixed IP WiFi Client?

yes- either or actually

Hi, chiming in… this seems to be a bug in the firmware. It should not blink, but the firmware waits for a notification so that it stops blinking. It seems that this notification is not generated when it is using a static IP address. Sorry for that! Will be fixed in the next firmware version.

No worries!!! Thx much for letting me know, now I can be happy with it working!!!