Wifi Settings: USB Controller --> Bome --> Local Network via Wifi Client Setting -> Local Network Wired Computer?

Just checked country again - it must have reset when I reset - so I just changed it back to United States and assigned it to Wifi / Client again – entered the SSID + password and it’s disappeared again.

As I’m testing right now – the closest mesh point is 1 foot away.

OK, are you also trying to use the ethernet port on the BomeBox or are you trying to access it from another client. By default if the ethernet and the WiFi are both clients, they are not bridged. If I remember a year or so ago I had to use advanced setting to make a bridged connection work in this configuration. Let me know and if that is the issue, I’ll see if I can dig up the instructions on how I made it work that way.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

To confirm – if this is working correctly – will the Bome will appear in as a point of connection in the Bome Network Tool (i.e. under “Connect To”), just as it does if it is set to HotSpot?

I’ve tried to access via Ethernet and I’m unable to as well.

OK, let me know how you are connecting other computers and whether you can see an access point? If necessary, I will reconfigure my BomeBox tomorrow to see if I can help you out. I’m also in USA and on a Mesh network so should be pretty close to your configuration.

I tried connecting Bome via the Hotspot connection to a laptop and it worked flawlessly with the Bome Network Tool.

Yes, if it is on the same network it should be discoverable by the Bome Network tool.

Super strange – working as access point however not as Wifi Client (when ethernet is not plugged in) or Ethernet plugged direct

Yes, you should be able to connect but of course it will have a different IP on your mesh network. Your laptop will also need to be connected to your messh network or ethernet on that same network.

Right - my laptop is also not able to see it as soon as Wifi Client mode is enabled.

If ethernet is not plugged in and it is working as an access point, then something is wrong as the ethernet side provides DHCP client address if it is a Wireless Access Point. It only provides DHCP from BomeBox if it is a Hotspot. Maybe DHCP is not working correctly on your home network. (Hard to imagine though).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

maybe I’ll just power everything down and reset my network and then see what happens

As an ethernet client and as a Wireless Hotspot. The ethernet host needs to provide DHCP to BomeBox. As a Wireless Hotspot and Ethernet Client the connections will be separate and may get quite confused if you are trying to access via both ethernet and Wireless as they will be on different networks but with the same BomeBox Name.

As a Wifi Client and Ethernet Client, they should both work and on the same network however again there might be some confusion because ethernet host might provide a different address to the ethernet as to the WiFi so best to use it one way or another or set up fixed IP on both sides.

Unfortunately if your Mesh insists on assigning DHCP addresses, it may incorrectly assign a DHCP address to something with a fixed address, so to be safe you should only connect your BomeBox as a WiFi or ethernet client but not both. In either case, they would be on the same network either way so you should be able to have access to BomeBox whether ethernet client only or WiFi client only.

Thanks - to clarify - I only want the Wifi Client - just toggling between both that and the Ethernet config for testing purposes.

Here is the post I had when setting up as Ethernet Host connected to a WiFi hotspot. In this case the customer wanted to get to the internet thru wired connection on BomeBox to House Wifi connected to the internet so much of what is here may not apply. It was more about providing NAT to ethernet clients attached to BomeBox .

Yes, just be careful not to try enable both ethernet and WiFi at the same time to the same network as things will get quite confused (2 different IP address to the same host).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Might be a good idea. Some mesh networks are not too smart. (like mine).

Hi Steve,

It looks like this is sorted out here – surprisingly the DHCP address pool on my mesh was maxed out! I suppose when I set it up I figured 30 was a large enough range however I guess there’s a lot of traffic around here now!

Thanks a million for your support. :pray:

Best,
Robin

Glad you got it all sorted! Yes with all of those smart lights and such, the address space can fill up quickly.

Exactly - thanks again for your help.