Windows 10: problem opening midi device

Wether through a hub or not(using the kronos’s working straight USB port)

Same as seaboard rise along

I wonder why other apps work fine….only midi Translator can’t use my devices…

OK, I’ve alerted, Florian. I’ll let you know if I can think of anything else to try.

Steve

Thank you Steve!

I am only aware of one single reason why a port shows “pending(error)” in MT Pro: if it is used in a different application. So I still believe that some process is using the MIDI devices.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way (that I know of) to find the process blocking a MIDI device. What you could do: download Process Explorer, restart your computer, then start Process Explorer and use from the Find menu “Find Handle or DLL”, and enter the search term “winmm”. That’ll likely give you more results than processes which actually block the MIDI device, but it’s worth looking through that list, and/or posting it here.

Note that Windows 10 introduced a new MIDI API which might also block the MIDI ports only for applications NOT using the new API. Have you activated Bluetooth? The new BLE-MIDI is also using the new Windows 10 MIDI API.
We will support the new MIDI API in future with MT Pro, but so far there are relatively few applications using it.

You’re the only person reporting such a problem, so it should be possible to fix it for you!

I wonder what the latest MIDI related application you installed. Maybe that would be the most likely suspect. It is odd that only BMT is pending and that no other applications are blocked unless they all use the new API.

here’s the process related to winmm (sys32 and syswow64)

Attachments:
![](upload://o0QYg5kExdJhVgEhO5PuKQbwVRF.png)
![](upload://73XQRvwwYUU36CIDQzEEia05mWQ.png)

I’m not using bluetooth, but I’m using logitech wireless keyboard and mouse…they should not bother midi I thing?

What application are you running with Powershell?

I just opened a powershell window myself I think. normally not there(like now)

The shouldn’t bother anything MIDI. Just out of curiosity, have you ever tried right clicking a port you cannot open and then unchecking “Open” and then re-checking it? This is very odd as I have never seen anyone with this problem yet unless something else MIDI was running and trying to access that port. I’m on the same Bome Build and running Windows 10 1709 OS Build 16299.125.

I just tried…same as before, can’t open…

It’s really odd, I tried the bome translator several years ago and it worked fine. And now my other daws and apps work fine too.

I just find another app can’t open midi port, it’s called midi tools from mountainutilities.eu
It says can’t open midi input device undefined external error like bome does.
Well, this software looks a little bit of obsolete…..

Hi, thanks for trying. We have many thousands of active users, so there must be something on your computer which blocks the MIDI ports. Have you already tried the Process Explorer method above to, hopefully, find the culprit?

Hi Florian, I’ve tried and list the pictures below, you can check them.

I use MIDI Tools and MIDI-OX occasionally. It would be interesting to know if you can open with MIDI-OX.
The software that runs rme ucx may be causing the problem. It has an OSC interface capability and if it is trying to convert OSC to MIDI within it, maybe it is holding some MIDI ports open? Just a thought.

I would be suspicious of TotalMixFx. Try killing it and see if that helps.

I tried, exiting both totalmix and firefaceusb app…still the same, I’ll try midi ox anyway..