Windows 10: problem opening midi device

I tried MIDI-OX(which I just remembered I’ve used before), yes, it can’t open port too…..
it seems like old and new apis problem? new software like cubase 9 and new vsti standalone apps work fine…

Hi, I just found out if I install the Korg MIDI Driver for Winows 10. I can no longer see my Korg PA900. To fix, I deinstalled the driver and then went to device manager. My PA900 still showed up and instead of using the Korg Driver, I selected Generic MIDI driver and now it works. The only caveat is Windows 10 sees it as a Generic MIDI device but at least it sees it and recognizes what it sends and receives.

that’s a korg problem, their driver requires your korg devices in first 8 position of midi devices list, so use their tool or manually delete some devices and let the korg things be in front of the list will work…

Interesting. I just decided to uninstall and revert my Korg device back to the default Generic Windows MIDI driver.

If you let the korgs in first 8 position, they’ll be fine…
so as my problem is still here…maybe the only solution is to wait until the translator release its new version which use the new API?

I highly doubt that the new API is required. Maybe if you show me the services you have running on your system, we can find out which one is the culprit. I still suspect it has something to do with TotalMixFX or associated services it uses. Maybe we successfully killed the application but there was still a service running. Like maybe and OSC service.

You know what….I finally resolve this damn problem…It’s a windows reg problem(probably the system’s bug)…nothing about the running processes and services
I find the solution here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cn5VEFoAjVE
It’s weird, the reg just miss a key, once I add the key as the video said and reboot my computer, the problem is gone!

That also solve other problems related to midi port(which I think using old API)
I’ll just post the method here:
open regedit, locate HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMControlSet001ControlClass{4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
creat a new multi-sz key ‘UpperFilters’, and value it ‘ksthunk’
That’s all…simple but useful

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing this!

Steve

I already had this ‘ksthunk’ but my MIDI devices are still in the ‘do not exist’ status.

Hi, please post a screen shot if you would of the ports that you can see in other applications that cannot be seen by MT Pro.