X Touch One with Pro Tools

attaching the text from email:

'> Hello there!

I am wondering if there is a way to map X touch ONE for protools midi translator?
What mode would it have to be in to work as a Hui device wich I would be able to map manualy?
I have been playing around with the Classic but I guess I do not really understand how to make it wok.

would be happy to buy the Pro release if there is a way!
thank you!
Dario

REP

Hi Dario,

You can put your X-touch One into HUI mode and then define it as a HUI device in Pro-Tools and everything should work since X-Touch One supports HUI natively and so does Pro-Tools.

With that said, it is possible to extend the controller’s capabilities if you include Bome MIDI Translator Pro and put it in between the controller and the application. Bome MIDI Translator Pro includes virtual MIDI ports so you could point Pro-Tools to the virtual ports instead of the X-touch One and then use the MIDI routing and translator feature of Bome MIDI Translator Pro.

X-Touch One → Bome MIDI Translator Pro → Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out → Protools (Sees the port as BMT 1)

Protools (Sees the port as BMT 1) → Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual In → Bome MIDI Translator Pro → X-Touch One

You could add translators in Bome MIDI Translator Pro that provide modified functionality if the native functionality is not how you want it.

You can download the trial version for free. The only limitation on the computer is it will time out every 20 minutes. Then once you get it working, you can decide whether to purchase.

does setting up require coding knowledge? will I be able to read (scan) the x touch one and then reconfigure only the parameters or functions that I want to change? or do I need to map all from scratch?

so in general, do I have to have information of the HUI mapping of the X touch one or can the translator scan the existing mapping?

thank you!
D

You can use static routing for feature you don’t want to change and then add translators for functions you want to override or modify.

There is no office HUI protocol document, however many users have been successful in using unofficial documentation to map HUI commands. HUI is one of the more confusion protocols but in my consulting practice I’ve been able to do translations from HUI-> MCU , MCU to HUI and even non-MCU controllers (such as APC-40MKII) to HUI or MCU.

If you search this forum for “HUI”, I’m sure you will find some good examples. I can assist here for free on a limited basis or reach out to me via email for paid services if you have a more complete solution in mind.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

thank you for your time so far!

Thanks to steve he decided he’s going to help me out with this one and share it with everyone who is trying to extend the funcionality of this product.

so my goal is to have access to automation where I could control sends on faders for writing automation.

I would use the DROP and REPLACE buttons to move between the sends (a-h) and I would sacrifice the CLICK button to trigger that function ON/OFF.

here is the layout of the X touch

Could you post the messages your Drop and Replace buttons send in HUI mode? I think you sent it via email but cannot find it and Drop and Replace are not standard HUI functions.

DROP

REPLACE

OK, something like this should work, however I have not fully tested it as I don’t have an X-Touch 1 or Pro-Tools

The first preset (0) handles some startup options like setting global variables. I use the global variable ga to determine whether the Special Function for send is on or off. I use gc to determine which send (a-e) we are on. I use gc for the last known value of fader 1. This is necessary because changing send values uses V-POT instead of fader which is a relative value so we have to compare the current fader value to the last known value to get the direction.

Preset 1 handles turning the Special Function on or off. With special functions off, the default routing occurs. With special function on we take over control of In, Out and Fader 0.

Preset 2 handles the translation of the Send and faders with “In” incrementing the send and “Out” decrementing the send (a-e). We track the current send value in gb and fader 0 value in gc

If you want me to further test it, I can do this with Cubase in HUI mode but that would be a paid engagement.

X-touch-One.bmtp (2.7 KB)

You will need to set your aliases for your controller and Pro-Tools and set up Pro-Tools to match the alias you set up in the project file.
I’m using my Launch Control XL in HUI mode for testing, however it doesn’t have In, and Out or Click Buttons.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Whoops I forgot to send send commands to Pro-Tools. This should fix it. Outgoing action on translators 2.0 AND 2.1

X-touch-One-a.bmtp (2.7 KB)

EXCELENT steve!!!

it is working out of the batt!!

the only thing that is not as I wanted is that now I control the sends via V-Pot not the fader.

is that an easy fix?

thaaaaaank you soooo much!!

Hi, Try this

X-touch-One-b.bmtp (3.4 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

hey I didnt reconise any difference. BUT I forgot to pay atention to the getting in and getting out of the preset. I did not send you the CLICK button midi foto. and I think that is where the problem might be. because now the V-Pot which is originaly the PAN pot is by default a send Pot now. and there is no way to ON/OFF the function and revert to original settings.

here’s the CLICK button Midi:

ok to make it clearer what is in this row of buttons

MARKER
1: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0F
2: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 40
3: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0F
4: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 00

NUDGE
5: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0F
6: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 41
7: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0F
8: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 01

CYCLE
9: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0F
10: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 43
11: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0F
12: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 03

DROP
13: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 10
14: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 42
15: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 10
16: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 02

REPLACE
17: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 10
18: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 43
19: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 10
20: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 03

CLICK
21: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0F
22: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 42
23: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0F
24: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 02

SOLO
25: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0D
26: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 46
27: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 0F 0D
28: MIDI OUT [X-Touch One]: B0 2F 06

OK, we have gone outside the scope of free support. Please drop me an email and we can start a paid project. We would need to set up something that takes you back to Pan Mode (or whatever mode you want) when you switch out of the special mode. We may need to capture the current mode so that we can return you back to that mode (in case you are not using Pan when you hit click).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

was about to suggest this!

So what you have labeled as Click is really Online.

The labes are different for different DAWs

Protools

Standard Mackie (I guess)

Right, I’ll take care of this and any new requirements with you via email (paid engagement).

Thanks much!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Can also help if the OP will post the Select, Mute, Solo, and Sec/Arm sysex here?
Please?
Thank you.

I have annotated the PDF this might help

HUI_annotated.pdf (232.7 KB)