X-Touch to Pro Tools?

Hi. New to BMT but see a ton of potential here! I was wondering if anyone has already done the work and created a preset for using the Behringer X-Touch with Pro Tools. There are many buttons and knobs that don’t function with the basic HUI implementation. If not, any hints to get started? Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Is your X-touch a Compact or MINI? If so then you will definitely need MT Pro as these devices send Mackie MCU only and Pro Tools recognized Mackie HUI only and they are separate protocols. If it is a normal X-touch however, most of the controls should work if you put your unit in HUI mode. I think just the master fader doesn’t work because it is not defined in the HUI protocol.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Thanks for replying so quickly. I do have the full size X-Touch universal and some things work fine in hui mode but a number of the buttons do not work correctly including most of the function keys, the jog wheel, etc. It would be nice to be able to map some of the “unused” buttons to various functions within Pro Tools.

Well, if you turn logging for incoming MIDI on in MT Pro and the unused controls are sending MIDI messages, then yes, we should be able to do something. If they send nothing then you would be out of luck in HUI mode. Even with that if you put it in MCU mode, we could probably use MT Pro to convert MCU to HUI and send it that way. Not as easy but certainly doable.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Awesome! Every button appears to send MIDI data. Is there a preset or list of Pro Tools commands somewhere to use as a starting point?

I’m not sure if this is the right document, but I know that Avid has a guide to how Pro-Tools works with HUI.

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/MIDI_Cntrl_Surfaces_Guide_25939.pdf

Added: I think this is the right document from Avid

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I’ve just come across this forum as I’m hoping it’s the right place to get the answer I’m after. I only want to control the first 8 channels of my mix template and am looking to use the x-touch mini with Pro Tools - just for mute/solo and some slight volume adjustment. Is MT Pro the solution to mapping the rotary’s to the faders and the buttons to the mute and solo functionality?

TIA

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

The attached file should get you started.

Upon project start or X-Touch MINI port opened, the project will put your controller in MC mode. I do this so I know it is in a known state as layer mode can be programmed with many different options for the controls.

Preset 1 translator 0 handles the fader movement. I use the global variables ga-gf to keep track of fader positions. Each fader sends out the proper HUI fader touch, move and release command.

I use the Layer A and Layer B buttons for Bank Up and Bank Down.

Preset 2 handles the HUI Ping response.

Make sure ProTools is set up to monitor on the same virtual port as the project uses. Here is how I set up my aliases.

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

X-touch-MINI-HUI-Demo.bmtp (3.8 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care