Akai MidiMix with custom CC toggles and LEDs

So I’ve got this working but it’s really hacky at the moment. I was wondering if there was a more elegant way of doing this and using only Bome Midi Translator Pro.

Currently im using a combination of OSCulator and Bome Midi Translator Pro to make my Akai Midimix work with Sounddesk. I just need a simple mixer as I use it for online course delivery not for music production.

As the Midimix can only send momentary button presses for it’s buttons I am currently using OSCulator to translate those to Midi CC Toggle buttons. It works well and was very easy to set up. It basically takes the button presses and then automagically turns them into toggle actions.

I was then wondering how to get the LEDs to work and came across Midi Translator Pro where I was able to create the translations to take the output from OSCulator and then pass the correct notes for the LEDs back to MidiMix. I basically set up presets for both Solo and Mute (although I am using the REC ARM as solo as I don’t need it otherwise) and then a translator for each on or off message for that button to send the note back to midimix.

MidiMix.bmtp (11.8 KB)

Here’s the mapping I did for MidiMix to work with SoundDesk

midimix.midimix.zip (640 Bytes)

Any way to do all this without relying on two separate apps? I can’t seem to figure out how to get the same translation to toggle button to work and then take that output to set the LED instead of relying on the original input which toggles on and off instantly. Such a pain that the Midimix doesn’t just allow for changing the behaviour of it’s buttons. Would make things so much easier. Any help to learn how to use this tool would be greatly appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Could you export your MIDIMIX settings so that I can test with mine?

Yes, there is an easier way.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

You can try this. I didn’t test it because I didn’t have your MIDIMIX settings and didn’t want to take the time to create them manually.

There are two presets

The first one handles all communication from MIDIMIX to SoundDesk.
It also sets a global variable ‘ga’ with a bitmap that toggles the state of the LED. It then sends either 127 (for on) or 0 (for off) to SoundDesk

The second preset is from Soundesk to MIDIMIX and maps the CC coming back to the note on the MIDIMIX to control the LED. This mapping is all done in rules. We send the same value (127 or 0) that Soundesk is sending.

I have aliases set up as follows:

And the project file
MIdIMIx-Steve-2023-02-28.bmtp (2.3 KB)

EDIT, you might need to set up MIDI thru paths for the knobs and other buttons not managed by translators.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve - awesome. I will try it tomorrow morning.
I edited my original post to include the midimix settings.

Hi, I loaded your template and found a few mappings that I got wrong. Here is an update.

MIdIMIx-Steve-2023-03-01.bmtp (2.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Wow thanks @SteveC this works perfectly. :smiley:
Just having a small issue with routing the rest. If I create a Midi Thru connection it also passes through the toggle button presses. My assumption was that those would be caught by the translator and not passed through? Somehow that is not happening.

Yes, I forgot. This seems to always trip me up. The thing about swallow is it only works if the outgoing action has been completed. With that I have to add a ‘blocking’ translator with ‘Swallow’ set and outgoing action of None, so that it doesn’t go through the MIDI thru path.

Here is an update project file with the new translator.

MIdIMIx-Steve-2023-03-02.bmtp (2.6 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Wow - you’re amazing. Thank you so much.
I will need to look at what the heck is going on when I have a bit more time to get my head around how you solved it. But thanks a ton for getting me up and running so amazingly fast!

1 Like

Quick question:
In Midimix to Sounddesk → set state you’ve got this:
qq=0
uu=ga>>rr
uu=uu&1 (<-- why is this needed? It always re-sets uu to 0 or 1 but it was already set to that. It still works if I comment it out. Just trying to understand what it achieves)
if uu==1 then qq=127

Hi,

Good question!

You will quickly find out if you disable it that your other buttons will not feedback correctly. I just a bit map so that I can use a single global variable for all 8 buttons/leds. You need to isolate the bit for just that LED state and not any set higher order bits.

I see you are paying attention to the coding which is good.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: MIdiMIX with Studio One with Local LED feedback