BOME MIDI Translator and Roland RD-2000

Hello!

I just bought a Roland RD-2000 and looking at how to configure it to work with my DAW (Logic Pro X) I discovered BOME software in another forum.

I am not familiarized with advanced MIDI things and checking the documentation and the forum all sound to me like rocket science. ;-)

Could someone let me know what can I do using Bome MIDI Translator and if is useful to use my RD-2000 with logic?

Sorry if the question s too basic, but I am really lost.

Thanks in advance,

Emilio.

Hi, well it depends on what you want to do. Are you looking to simply record sounds from your RD-2000? If so, you can route the USB audio signal to various tracks in the DAW.  (Since this would be an audio discussion only, and no MIDI, we will not discuss further here).

You can also send USB MIDI performance data to tracks in the DAW if you want to use MIDI tracks and then have your DAW create the audio from there. If you wan to modify the MIDI data to the track, we can intervene with Bome MIDI Translator Pro translators.

Finally, looking at the user manual,  it appears that the device has an "External" section that allows other MIDI control signals to control various DAW parameters via USB MIDI. Maybe you want to control the DAW mixer levels or pan settings with your instrument?

There are so many possibilities, it is hard to determine where you want to start.   I have not worked with Logic Pro X, however so maybe it is best if you can state a specific function you want to perform and just start with that one function. If Logic cannot handle sending or receiving the MIDI signals you need, we can certainly use Bome MIDI Translator Pro to modify the signals. 

Unlike many MIDI controllers that are pure MIDI and mean to provide DAW control, it looks like this is more of an "instrument" with some features that may allow for remote MIDI control, however it does not appear to be designed specifically to work as a Mixer controller for a DAW (Logix Pro X or otherwise).

In a nutshell, please provide a specific example of something you want to do and I should be able to assist further.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for your detailed answer, Steve.

You are right, I will try to be more specific.

With the USB midi output, I can deliver to the DAW both Audio and MIDI so this part is working ok. Is more about how to use some of the controls inside the DAW. For instance, the RD-2000 have two Mod Wheels and 8 faders that will be great to use with the DAW to control things like Expression, vibrato or others parameters when I am composing for Orchestra pieces.

The virtual instruments that I use (This is basically the same in all the DAWs) have a lot of parameters that can be launched with CC Midi messages. Change the articulation of the instrument or change values like reverb or mic levels. I think that will be very useful if I can assign to some of the buttons in the keyboard to these functions on the DAW when I am using the RD-2000 with the computer.

I don't know if I am clear enough because I am really newbie about this.

Thanks again for your help!

Emilio

Maybe if you set you Logic with MCU protocol and we then try and use one of your faders on you keyboard to move a fader in the DAW?

As far as Logic goes, it appears to have support for many different devices so best if we find a device type that you want your keyboard to look like and then if we can find documentation for that type, we just us MT Pro to emulate that device. It looks like many of the supported controllers also handle Mackie MCU which is why I picked that.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I would like to revive this subject as I have the same issue. I believe I may know what the original poster was trying to accomplish. If not I apologize but I seen those same conversations on the other forums and we all have the same struggle with this amazing keyboard controller.

The issue is that while this keyboard controller has 9 faders, you can only assign them to one CC value. Each fader controls a different midi port number, but they all push the same Midi CC. So if I set CC7 to the fader control, they all send this same CC message, however to midi channels 1 through 9 depending on which fader 1-9 you move up and down.

My question would be this. Can this software (classic version if possible) allow me to map all 9 faders in this way:

1. Fader 1 would send midi channel 1, CC7 - wouldn\'t need to change this, I need one for CC7.

2. Fader 2 would send midi channel 2, CC7 - I want this to translate to midi channel 1, CC1.

3. Fader 3 would send midi channel 3, CC7 - I want this to translate to midi channel 1, CC2.

4. Fader 3 would send midi channel 4, CC7 - I want this to translate to midi channel 1, CC3.

So on and so fourth. Can it do this and if so, can I do it with the Classic lower cost version?

Can I have a bunch of premade profiles that I can load up for different programed settings so when I am using instruments on different Midi channels (2-16), I can quick load the profile to have it do exactly the same fader CC values programmed above, but this time send all to another midi channel?

Thanks!

Hi there!

This is exactly what I want to do.

Mainly is to create a preset on RD-2000 to turn the buttons and mainly the faders with an individually CC value. Is easy to do with the mod wheels directly in the keyboard menu, but as maestro2be comments is impossible to separate each fader to a specific CC value.

Can Bome software help with this in an easy way?

Ah, in my case I don\'t care if I need to buy the MIDI translator PRO. This will be something that will give much more value to my keyboard!

Thanks!

According to the Bome tutorial videos, I feel like this one right here answers the question of CC to CC translation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt6KgS6L0xI&list=PLzwHsH6-VZ8Qy_dxsf0LqorjarvnDIFiy&index=5

I then feel like perhaps the having multiple mappings profiles ready to go at a click of a button exists in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXpxPbDRz8M&list=PLzwHsH6-VZ8Qy_dxsf0LqorjarvnDIFiy&index=1

I think I am going to do the trial this weekend and test this.

I have zero knowledge about these things, but I will try during the weekend too.
I hope we can share our tests!
Thanks for the links!

I have zero knowledge about these things, but I will try during the weekend too. I hope we can share our tests! Thanks for the links!

Let's see if someone can give us some advice.

Hi,

I've attached 2 solutions.

Classic Version requires different input for each fader. I only did 3 for MIDI CH1-3 with output as CC0-2 on MIDI CH 1. This will require virtual ports from other than MT Pro (like loopBE or loopMIDI), since MT Pro virtual ports only work on MT Pro.

Pro version requires only one translator and I use rules to calculate the output. Here I can use Bome MIDI Translator Virtual ports.

In both cases I use the incoming MIDI channel to determine the outgoing CC# on MIDI CH 1. I just use a local variable to pass through the value.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Attachments:
1596767494744_RD2000-Classic.bmtp
1596767494756_RD2000-Pro.bmtp

Thank you very much for your fast answer!

I will check it as soon as possible ;-)

Maybe a stupid question, but HOw can I assign different CC number to each fader?

In the file you provide us I see all the faders al linked to CC7. Is possible to assign each of the 8 faders to different CC? Actually I think I need all in the same channel as I want to manage different parameters of the same instrument on Logic (Dynamics, expression, vibrato, etc)

Thanks!

There are no stupid questions. You can either add more translators with different CC numbers or make the current incoming a variable and then use that variable to determine the outgoing CC.

Variables and their usage are covered in the manual. You can press F1 or use the help menu to open up the PDF manual.

I try and use local variables as much as possible since they are local to an incoming action and as such generally do not interfere with other translators. I usually use oo for MIDI channel pp for Note or CC # and qq for value or velocity. I tend to use rr for a temporary (disposible) variable in case I need to use it more than once in rules.

This all is not required, but for me, if I do it the same most of the time, I don't usually need to second guess myself on what variables I'm using for what.

There are 10 local variables oo,pp,qq,rr,ss,tt,uu,vv,ww, and xx. Again, they are local to a given incoming trigger and in general cannot be shared with other translators (except 2 with the same incoming trigger).

For sharing among translators use global variables. I will not cover them here although there are 360 of them and they can be shared.

I hope this helps!

Also there are 40 tutorials available on Bome MIDI Translator Pro that you can review. Most about 5 minutes in length and the basic ones are the beginning of the series.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks Steve!
I have homework to do then this weekend!

I will back here is I am stacked or just to let you o is everything is working ok.

A lot of videos to watch and a lot of documentation to read!

Have a great weekend.

Emilio

So I have been playing with this today and a few notes:

1. Using this takes complete control over of the midi port of the RD-2000 inside your DAW so you will have to come through this software to get any and all MIDI messages from your keyboard back to your DAW. So it doesn\'t just help control your faders, it\'s now in complete control of the RD-2000 getting to your host. Setup a MIDI router from RD2000 to BOME Virtual MIDI port and my keyboard was able to play in my DAW.
  2. Setup a project that had mapped channel number and CC# to Channel 1 and CC# of choice.

The actual translation works great. I was able to get all 8 faders to map exactly what I wanted them to do. However, it comes with some serious side effect. If I only use fader 1, the sound is unchanged. If I enable additional faders 2-8, the sound starts to become distorted and as if I am applying FX to the sound. I don\'t even have to move the faders, simply enabling them on the RD2000 causes this behavior.

If I use my laboratory 61 keyboard to play the same thing, which is directly connected to Studio One it doesn\'t do this at all. In fact, when I close BOME, and reconnect my RD2000 directly to Studio One this behavior stops as well.

Anyone seen this and possibly have an idea of what\'s going on? It\'s almost as if the midi instrument in the Host is somehow seeing the same instrument 8 times coming at it and causing phasing and strange modulation and FX. The more channels that are enable, the louder it gets as if it\'s stacking. It basically almost becomes impossible to play softly, even on instruments that are using CC1 to do crossfading of dynamic layers and volume output.

Thanks

So I went into Studio One and see exactly what I thought I was hearing. I can see 8 note on, and 8 note off commands being sent when using this project.

Is there anyway to stop this behavior? I have attached my project file as I am using 8 separate fader translators.

Thanks!

Attachments:
1596857559768_My_RD2000_BOME_Project.bmtp

Hi,

It is possible that either:

1. Some messages are not being swallowed and you have a MIDI thru path set. Remember messages only get swallowed if you have (swallow set ) AND (the action completes OR the outgoing action is NONE).
  2. The reverse may also be true. Perhaps you have a MIDI thru path not set and some SySex message that you really wanted to get through are not.

My guess is it is more likely the case number 1. To test, remove any MIDI thru paths and see if it behaves better (even if some MIDI messages don't get through.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Removing the MIDI Thru I have setup in the project does stop the behavior but disables all other functions on the controller. Most importantly the keybed.

Suggestion for getting all the otehr functionality of the controller through?

Try the attached. Here is what I did:

1. At the preset level defined the input as Roland RD-2000. Please ensure the aliases is properly assigned to the right real port. Without doing this, a CC from ANY attached open device will be processed by the translators
  2. At the preset level, defined the output as Bome MIDI Translator 1 Virtual Out. Again, if left alone the translators will be processed and sent to ALL open output ports.
  3. Added a new translator (0.8) to suppress any other input CC's coming from the input port assigned in step 1 above.

I left the pass-thru MIDI still defined which should allow things such as notes and SysEX to pass.

If this doesn't work for you, please capture the input and output by opening the log window and checking all boxes below. Then copy the log data into a text file so I can have a look.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Attachments:
1596890458370_My_RD2000_BOME_Project-sjc.bmtp

Thanks for your new project file.

In my case, all the faders show CC7 in the capture MIDI section. I can't do anything to make the rest take the others. values you included. :-(

Maybe is something wrong on my side?

Thanks again!

Emilio