BOME MIDI Translator and Roland RD-2000

I figured out how to do and is working now! No need to share. Thanks in any case!

I created the two mod wheel translators and working. Thanks!

I share here my final version working in case someone needs in the future.

Attachments:
1596943590156_RD-2000.bmtp

Mod Wheel is usually just CC1.
Check the Roland RD-2000 Manual to be sure that is how they implement them.
Here is a list of common CC’s from MIDI.ORG

Most photography based applications will allow for incoming keyboard shortcuts if they don’t have native MIDI. Fortunately MT Pro can also convert MIDI to keyboard shortcuts. If you need help with a specific application/issue, please feel free to open up a new thread. Thanks for the positive words on our support. I’m more than happy to help!

There have been several different versions of my RD-2000 project put in this thread. Support helped add some things here and there, and then Emilio took the project and made one of his own as well which he shared above. I have updated mine adding all of the knobs, both Modwheels and all the faders.

With that, I will share mine as well as some things you will need to do to your RD-2000 to make it work.

First, you need to go to your RD-2000 and in the center menu system, push Menu -> Program Edit -> Assign.

Once you arrive here, you will be able to move left and right through all the modwheel, knobs and fader values. You change the values by highlighting the current value and then rotating the big silver knob on your RD-2000.

1. You will need to change the Modwheel 2 to CC3. You can then freely adjust this in BOME to translate to whatever CC# you wish to ouput by changing the output CC#. It is currently setup to output on CC3.

2. You will need to ensure Modwheel 1 stays at default CC1 (Modulation). It is setup to output CC1.

Modwheel 1 - CC1

Modwheel 2 - CC3

3. You will need to ensure that Knob 1 through 8 stay at their default CC# values (CC14 through CC21). You can then freely adjust this in BOME to translate to whatever CC# you wish to output bu changing the output CC#. They are setup now to output their default value:

Knob 1 - CC14

Knob 2 - CC15

Knob 3 - CC16

Knob 4 - CC17

Knob 5 - CC18

Knob 6 - CC19

Knob 7 - CC20

Knob 8 - CC21

4. You finally want to adjust the Fader setting which is defaulted to CC7 and set it for CC0. I did this because CC7 is to easy to conflict and I have never seen CC0 used in any of my instruments or projects before. You can then freely adjust each one of the faders in BOME translator to output whichever CC# you choose. They are currently setup in the following way:

Fader 1 - CC7

Fader 2 - CC11

Fader 3 - CC22

Fader 4 - CC33

Fader 5 - CC24

Fader 6 - CC20

Fader 7 - CC30

Fader 8 - CC23

When I created this project, i chose all those numbers based on my Vienna Synchron Player settings. You can freely rename any and all of the translators to match your use case.

All of the other items such as the translators for Note on and Note off and supression need to be there and left alone. Their purpose is to prevent the RD-2000 from sending multiple notes and CC values when you enable 2 or more zones at once.

I ultimately created a program preset that had all of these settings saved in my RD-2000 so that when I powered it on, I simply hit \"Program\" and everything is ready to go. I saved this setting to my default program 1 slot. To ensure that the faders and the knobs work properly, be sure that you have them all set for \"Assign\". you can see the word \"Assign\" right next to the faders on the RD-2000. This enables it for the faders. You can then see another small \"Assign\" next to the knobs. You will need to push the small \"Select\" button next to the knobs until \"Assign\" is highlighted and you\'re good to go.

I really want to say thank you to support who was extremely responsive and helped make this possible. Absolutely first rate support experience. I immediately bought Pro version and am now a happy customer.

Attachments:
1597012214102_My_BOME_RD2000_Project.bmtp

Wow, thanks for sharing your solution and the detailed description on how to set it up! I’m sure other RD-2000 users will find this very useful. I also appreciate your good words on our support! Thanks!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi @maestro2be, I just bought RD-2000 recently and try to learn about how to fully activate the fader#2-8 to be working for controlling MIDI CC in VST,DAW.
I’ve downloaded and use the .bmtp you sent in BOME MIDI Translator Pro (Trial Version), and follow your instruction to set all the Modwheel, knobs and fader(slider) as you mentioned.
But unfortunately, I still cannot utilize fader#2-8 to any different ‘MIDI CC Learn’ individually. It’s still ‘hanging’ to fader#1.
What steps that I missed ?
Sorry, seems it’s a stupid question (again) and I’m reopening this chat topic of discussion (again), hopefully i can get some insight / advise from you.
Thanks.

Hi @fatra.zone and welcome to the Bome Community!

I don’t see it his project file the program posting by @maestro2be to set the parameters of the RD2000. My guess is that he either missed some important part of his instruction or you didn’t follow it exactly.

Apparently the RD2000 faders are programmable so for me to help you I would need to know what they send (usually CC messages) and on what MIDI channel. I would also need to know what your DAW expects, what DAW you are using and whether everything is MIDI learnable. Often times, plugin parameters are trickier as the plugin may need some additional routing by the DAW and in general, cannot be the same CC and MIDI channel as the main mixer faders or pat pots.

If you can provide more detail, I should be able to help.

1. What MIDI do each of your faders send (use the MT logging feature to capture incoming MIDI if need be).
  2. What DAW are your using and how have you defined your MIDI control surface in the DAW. Can you MIDI learn all parameters in the DAW?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi @SteveC
Glad to have support & help from you.
I’m very newbie in MIDI routing, translation or any setup related to this things.

I use Logic Pro X as my main DAW, and I love to play with many vst/plugin inside.
I hope I can use all of the RD-2000 faders to be assign in different CC to control any expression in the plugin itself.
for example in Spitfire Audio plugin interface, there’s some sliders to control some parameters. I wish I could assign each sliders in Spitfire Audio plugin interface into different faders in RD-2000.
While currently it cannot be done just by using ‘MIDI CC Learn’ in Spitfire plugin’s sliders into RD-2000’s fader individually. It only works for one ‘MIDI CC Learn’ that will apply to all assigned faders and sliders.

Highly appreciate if you (or someone else) could provide clear guidance (step-by-step) on how to setup in MIDI Translator Pro (I just purchased it by today), and any setup require in DAW.

bmtp I used (taken from @maestro2be ):
1597012214102_My_BOME_RD2000_Project.bmtp (10.7 KB)

Log during I move the faders in RD-2000:
log.pdf (18.1 KB)

Hi, thanks for sending this information along!

According to the log file, you did not change your fader CC values as @maestro2be indicated in step 4. Your incoming fader is sending CC10.

I can’t tell what your other faders are sending because you checked “Incoming” instead of “MIDI In” in the log window.

incoming-vs-MIDI-In

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Actually it looks like your faders all send CC10 on different MIDI channels. These signals are ignored as they are all handled by translator 0.22 which suppresses output.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

This project should work with how your RD-2000 faders are currently programmed.
My_BOME_RD2000_Projec-facer-cc10t.bmtp (10.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care