BomeBox and CTRL program for Ipad

Hi, I bought the BomeBox to use it with Ipad in WiFi and get the midi program Change from the DIN connector. Ipad generates the program change using the CTRL program (a program to create keys that send OSC and Midi commands at the same time). Before trying to use this configuration (with BomeBox) I used Ipad via WiFi connected to MacBook using the Midi network settings, and everything worked fine. Now with the BomeBox configuration I can’t get it to work. I tried all the possible routings besides the ones that appear automatically.I thought it was a Bome Network Pro problem and then I bought that too, then I thought it was a problem of Unlimited Named MIDI Ports and I also bought the license of this but nothing is solved. For clarity the DIN output of the BomeBox only has to transmit a program change with four effects (delay and reverb) connected In chain In - True.
It seems incredible to me that the BomeBox cannot do it, I tried at this point with the trial version of the MIDI Translator Pro, in order not to spend more, but I couldn’t get a spider out of the hole. I am probably the one who missed something. Now I kindly ask if anyone can help me find the solution, considering that the initial aim was to free the MacBook as using everything in live I need to multitrack the concert. I kindly wanted to point out to the forum administrator that in the account registration process you are asked to enter the licenses of the Bome Network Pro and Unlimited Named MIDI Ports programs, but in the versions for Ipad they do not appear anywhere, so how can you register on the account?
I thank everyone in advance for the help that will be given to me.

Dario Ghidoni

Hi Dario and welcome to the forum! I’m sorry you are having difficulty. I’ll try to help you.

So to make sure I understand the path you want.

iPad → WiFI → BomeBox → MIDI DIN OUT → Your Devices

All you send through this path is Program Change, correct?

If so, all you need to do is pair you BomeBox with your iPad. You BomeBox would recognize your iPad with the name of your iPad as a network connection. On BomeBox you would create a MIDI Thru connection from your network iPAD connection to your MIDI DIN out Port and then anything connected to that port would receive the MIDI data

You cannot use MT Pro Trial to do this as MT Pro Trial does not create a signature, and it requires the paid version, however if you don’t need translations or MIDI modification at all on BomeBox and only need static MIDI routing then you don’t need MT Pro at all.

Bome Network Pro registration can be handled on the Bome Web Site under “My Acccount” and then “Products” where you will find you license key. You only enter it on your computer as the iPAD version registers the number of licenses automatically when you buy it on your iPad from the Apple Store.

Unlimited MIDI ports is also registered only on your computer in the same way as Bome Network Pro.

The iPad License device count will only show on your iPad (or other iOS devices that you own) under the same license name.

So I think you are pretty close. If you want to block other MIDI message, however you may need to get Bome MIDI Translator Pro paid version. If you want to talk between Computers (Mac and Windows PC) with Bome Network then you will still need Bome Network Pro. If you want to have unlimited virtual ports (Mac and Windows PC only) then you will need to keep that license.

Let me know if you need any more help or whether I misinterpreted what you wanted to do.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Dario,
here’s a step-by-step guide how I would set it up:

BomeBox Configuration
On BomeBox side, keep all settings at their factory default. In particular, on the MIDI Routes page, activate Automatic Routes.
Because you want to access it via WiFi, set a WiFi password so that WiFi will stay active after power cycling the BomeBox. Also, of course, enable WiFi by pressing the WiFi button on the BomeBox.

iPad Configuration

1. In iPad settings, connect to the BomeBox WiFi.
  2. Start the Bome Network app
  3. The BomeBox should appear on the front page.
  4. Click the Connect button.
  5. On the BomeBox, press the blinking PAIR button.
    Now your MIDI pairing is done and virtual MIDI IN/OUT port are available to other applications.
  6. Make sure to activate Use in Background at the bottom of the front page of the app.

Now you can switch to your other app and see the MIDI OUTPUT port BomeBox - Net and use it to send data to the BomeBox.

Thanks Florian for the answer, as far as the licenses are concerned it’s not a problem they could serve me in the future, mine was just a report, as regards the functioning, everything is set as you say, but nothing comes out, I’m also using a midi monitor on the output> Din but does not indicate anything.

For some reason, all your routes in Bome Network are disabled:
Unchecked (unticked) routes are disabled and will not pass on MIDI data.
Also, I see that you have activated a Direct MIDI port, which is not necessary for your setup and complicates matters unnecessarily.

Under most circumstances, you never need to manually edit the MIDI Routes.
To recreate the default settings:

1. check (“tick”) all routes in the MIDI Router
  2. in Bome Network main page, click on the BomeBox entry and under Remote Direct MIDI, disable all direct ports.

Now, when checking the MIDI Routes, you should only see the two “BomeBox - Net” routes. Here’s how it looks like for me with “BomeBox14” instead of your default name “BomeBox”:

BomeBox14 entry:

MIDI Router:

Thanks Florian, I changed the settings you showed me on Bome Network, but with the Midi Monitor I still don’t receive anything. I am connected to the Mac with the M-Audio interface you see in the picture to monitor the data. The midi messages start from the CTRL program on Ipad you see in the photo, I created buttons for each song of the show, two commands are programmed under each button: a Midi program change and a string in OSC to control a Digico S21 (it only receives the change of snapshots through OSC).

Dario Ghidoni

Thanks for your reply, the physical connection path you indicated is correct. To simplify things I am attaching the photos of the Ipad screens. I’m probably wrong somewhere. The routing that I find in the BomeBox web page would indicate that the connections between Ipad and Din Out are open and therefore active, but in the Bome Network page they are not with the flag, which of the four options goes with the flag?
Thank you in advance

Dario Ghidoni

Please re-read my previous post. In particular the “1. check (“tick”) all routes in the MIDI Router”.

Ok, sorry, there was a problem, post N ° 7 arrived late, it was the first response after Steve’s intervention. For the flags on the routing it is already done from the previous post.

Dario Ghidoni

Sorry Florian, but does BomeBox work with Apple IoS 'RTP Midi? It is a doubt that came to me.
I consider the fact that Ipad connected in WiFi with Mac using the Midi network settings and touching the keys on Ipad everything works because the Mac decodes the IoS RTP-Midi protocol and then routes it on the M-Audio interface, correct me if I’m wrong.

Dario Ghidoni

Hi Florian, my statement in the previous post I recognize that it is not exact, but on the CTRL website I found the explanation of how CTRL transmits the Midi. Here is the textual declaration: "Ctrl for iPad uses Apple’s ‘Core MIDI’ library to give ultimate MIDI connectivity on both an App and hardware level.

Using the official Apple library ensures Ctrl for iPad gives users the fastest and most flexible MIDI integration capable on an iPad. Far superior to cross-platform Apps relying on 3rd party libraries to give the best response in live scenarios where timing and reliability counts.

As iPadOS devices do not support MIDI session initiation functionality, you are required to create a MIDI session on your Mac that your iPad can join and send MIDI messages to."A questo punto penso che BomeBox è possibile che non abbia la funzione di creare questa condizione e per questo non esce il midi. Fammi sapere se questa funzione per ora non è disponibile o se lo sarà in futuro.
Grazie anticipatamente per la pazienza dimostrata fino a quì.

Dario Ghidoni

Dario, your use case is the main use case for Bome Network and thousands of users use it exactly like that. I’m still not sure why it does not work on your system, but it will.

Bome Network uses CoreMIDI just like any other MIDI app on an iPad. Please make sure to select “BomeBox - Net” as MIDI OUT in CTRL. The Bome Network app receives the CoreMIDI messages from CTRL and sends it to the BomeBox. Because of that, you need to activate Use In Background at the bottom in Bome Network so that it can still pass on MIDI messages to the BomeBox when you switch to CTRL as the active app.

Hi Florian, the only CTRL setting request is the one you see in the following photo and which I suppose goes for example for the default BomeBox net is 192.168.153.1:37000. There are no other data to be entered in CTRL, apart from inserting the midi channel and the pgm change under each button.

Dario Ghidoni

Sorry the foto

Dario, I don’t know the CTRL app, so I cannot help you how to configure it correctly. I don’t know the purpose of the IP connection in your screenshot, but I know it will not help you get MIDI to the BomeBox.

CTRL needs to send MIDI to the MIDI OUT port “BomeBox - Net”.

For getting MIDI from CTRL to the BomeBox, there is no network involved in CTRL itself, it just sends plain MIDI (using CoreMIDI under the hood) to Bome Network. Then, Bome Network will take care of sending MIDI via WiFi to the BomeBox. That’s the sole purpose of Bome Network.

Try to find a selector in CTRL for a MIDI port. If it has one, it will list “BomeBox - Net” as a MIDI port (or MIDI device) and you should select it. Try another MIDI app, like a virtual keyboard app, and it will let you choose “BomeBox - Net” as MIDI OUT, and then you’ll be able to drive MIDI devices connected to the BomeBox with it.

Maybe the CTRL app cannot send MIDI to other apps via CoreMIDI?
Maybe you should ask the makers of CTRL?

Hallo Florian, CTRL I’m sure it is able to transfer data with the MacBook via the Midi network connection, I have not found information if it exchanges data with apps on the same Ipad. Right now I have sent an email to them to try to understand, I also consider the fact that CTRL is used all over the world with programs like Madrix along with almost all high level professional audio consoles.

Dario Ghidoni

My guess is you need to disable rtpMIDI on your iPad and just let Core MIDI pick up the attached Bome Network Port. When your iPad is connected to a computer, what does the computer see in the way of ports on your iPad?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Florian and Steve, after a good number of tests, I have achieved the following results.
First try:
the use of CTRL for Ipad as a program to send Midi and OSC data through the Wifi created by BomeBox and verified at the output of the Din connector for the Midi and through the ethernet port for OSC, works only for OSC while the Midi does not exit.
Second test:
the use of CTRL for Ipad as a program to send Midi and OSC data through the Ethernet port of BomeBox which receives data from my access point that communicates with Ipad, works only for OSC while the Midi does not exit.
Third trial:
the use of TouchOsc for Ipad as a program to send Midi and OSC data through the Wifi created by BomeBox and verified at the output of the Din connector for the Midi and through the ethernet port for OSC, it works only for Midi while OSC does not exit.
Fourth test:
the use of TouchOsc for Ipad as a program to send Midi and OSC data through the Ethernet port of BomeBox which receives data from my access point that communicates with Ipad, works for both OSC and Midi.
I specify that I also did some tests with TouchOsc MK1 for Ipad, working perfectly only with the data sent by Ipad through my Wifi to the BomeBox ethernet port, while through the BomeBox Wifi directly the problem of not seeing the OSC data remains.
At this point for my use I opted to use TouchOsc as the most reliable result. BomeBox in this case proved to be 100% reliable. I think the problem on CTRL for Ipad is related to how the team of CTRL for Ipad has tried to embed the data in the transmission protocol, more I am not able to understand.
Thank you very much Florian and Steve for the help and advice on the product, you have been very kind and diligent, you don’t always find such helpful people, thanks again.

Dario Ghidoni

Hi,

Thanks for the tests. The BomeBox will never see OSC messages. It does MIDI only. With that said, it will work as a general ethernet router so any devices that have servers that the BomeBox can get to for OSC message, should work.

My guess is CTRL is relying on RTP-MIDI for MIDI messages where BomeBox uses Bome Network. Did you try turning RTP-MIDI of in CTRL and sent to what may look like a local MIDI port to your CTRL application (if Bome Network is connected)?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care