Bomebox Initial Setup

I’m following the steps in the “Unpacking and Initial Setup” youtube video and failing to get past the first step.

I’ve used the “xxxx_reset_password.txt” and the “xxx_reset_network.txt” files and rebooted the Bomebox.

When I press the wifi button and to choose “Bomebox” in the wifi (iPhone,iPad,iMac) it just keeps spinning “No Internet Connection”.

Under no circumstances have I been able to go to 192.168.153.1

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I’m sorry you are experiencing problems.

Does the power light come on solid after a few minutes? If not, there could be a power issue. How are you powering BomeBox. Please do not use a charging port as it will not have consistent 5 volt power. Better to use USB to 5v power adapter. If the power light comes on solid and stays solid then your power should be OK.

When you press the WiFi button, does it blink and the come on steady. If not what is it doing?

Also if using WiFI, do not also connect your BomeBox to ethernet as it will confuse BomeBox to have both a Wireless connection as a hotspot and wired connection as a client.

While resetting the network password, does the file name include all digits (including leading zeros) of your BomeBox serial number? Also make sure the leading zeros are zeros and not the letter “O”.

Are you also on another network with your devices? If so, please only connect to the BomeBox WiFi Network and not connected to any other network simultaneously. Are you seeing the SSID from the BomeBox? I assume you have gotten that far and the default SSID is “BomeBox”.

Do your devices believe the network is connected but the browser just spins?
Are you being prompted for a WiFi password when connecting to the SSID? If so, it is possible the network reset did not work as by default there is no password so you shouldn’t need one to initially connect.

If the network shows connected but the browser is just spinning on the BomeBox home page (192.168.153.1) then try using private mode in your browser as there may be something in browser cache causing the issue.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Does the power light come on solid after a few minutes?

Yes. I’m powered by a USB power adapter.

When you press the WiFi button, does it blink and the come on steady?

Yes. And no ethernet is connected.

Are you also on another network with your devices? If so, please only connect to the BomeBox WiFi Network and not connected to any other network simultaneously.

Well, just before I try to connect of course I’m connected to another network.
I’m not sure how I would connect to two networks simultaneously. I can only choose one WIFI connection in the settings.

Are you being prompted for a WiFi password when connecting to the SSID?

No prompt for password. And yes the SSID is fine it shows up on all my devices as ‘BomeBox’.

It’s never really showing connected. I’m going to upload a photo from my iPhone shortly.

OK, usually if it can’t connect your your iPhone iPad or iMac will return “Can’t connect”" so maybe it is something on that end. What country are you in? I know if the BomeBox is not set to your home country, the connection might be very slow but you would have to login to BomeBox to set up the country. You could do this by connected ethernet to a local router and then ethernet from you device also to the same router as the ethernet connection on BomeBox defaults as an ethernet DHCP client.

Again did you check that the reset filename has leading zeros? If you are not prompted for a password for your SSID however, it probably did reset correctly. I’m wondering if he latest version of ioS or Mac OS requires a secure connection as I haven’t tested this lately. If there is a setting to allow unsecured connections on your ioS or Mac devices. Try setting this. I know Apple seems to be tightening security on new releases.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ah yes, BomeBox, no internet connection is OK however you should still be able to get to BomeBox via the browser using the IP address. No internet connection simply means your BomeBox is not connecting you to the internet which should be fine. Click on the info ICON and see what it reports.

Also turn of your phone data connection since that is another path to the internet with a different IP address.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

OK it’s very late here I will try tomorrow to set the country and turn off data. Good suggestions.

OK, late here too so you must be in USA. We can pick this up tomorrow.

Steve

Hi again. So I’m in Canada and I can get to the Bomebox with ethernet cable. From there I did a password reset and double-checked the reset network file. The file was correct from the start. I reset the network one more time (from the USB thumb) to make sure.

So I try the instructions from the top and this time with my iphone cellular data turned off. (ethernet unplugged)

I cannot get a connection to wifi. It’s the same symptoms. As it tries it says “Unsecured Network” and spins. Then it keeps spinning and as in my screenshot above “No Internet Connection”.

There’s never a “checkmark” beside the wifi connection. I can never get to 192.168.153.1

So back to some advice earlier in the thread…

Ah yes, BomeBox, no internet connection is OK however you should still be able to get to BomeBox via the browser using the IP address. No internet connection simply means your BomeBox is not connecting you to the internet which should be fine. Click on the info ICON and see what it reports.

Here’s some of the WIFI info on the iPhone:

• ‘No Internet Connection’ …If this is your Wi-Fi network, try restarting the modem…
  • ‘Unsecured Network’ …configure the router to use WPA2 (AES) or WPA3
  • ‘Auto-Join’ = yes
  • ‘Low Data Mode’ = off
  • ‘Configure IP’ = Automatic
  • ‘IP Address’ = 169.254.51.155
  • ‘Subnet’ = 255.255.0.0
  • ‘Router’ = blank
  • ‘Configure DNS’ = Automatic

To trouble-shoot, I reset everything EXCEPT the country which I changed to Canada.

Same results.

OK I’ve abandoned trying to do initial setup with wifi. I’ve just connected with an ethernet cable and set the BomeBox to be a wifi client.

I can now connect to “BomeBox - Net” in the app on my iMac, either plugged into ethernet or not.

Out of curiosity I clicked a “Perform Reset” on Settings --> Backup & Firmware --> Reset to Factory Defaults

It rebooted and then operated as if the 000xxxxxxx_reset_network.txt and the 000xxxxxxx_reset_password.txt USB files were used. I also had performed a firmware update to 1.42 from 1.41 just prior so I do not know which is responsible. Perhaps both.

Works now. My iPhone will connect WIFI just as the instructions in the “Initial Setup” video to 192.168.153.1.

Well I’m glad you got it working. It looks like your Iphone was stuck on the wrong IP address. It may have been you just need to forget the other connection then try connect to BomeBox.

If you connect to BomeBox via DHCP WiFI, your iPhone should report IP address of 192.168.153.xxx (which is assigned by the BomeBox) with a netmask of 255.255.255 0.

See this post:
Is 169 routable?.

Anyway, looks like you are up and running. Have fun!

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you. My iPad and iMac also were suffering the same spinning ball connect issue. I’m pretty sure now that I think about it I saw the iPad on 169 also.

I read some of the 169 article. I does appear “unstucking” is a mysterious business!

DId you you try.

1. Disconnecting from all networks but disabling WifI and mobile data (if our iPad use Mobile data). Then re-enabling WiFi
  2. Disabling Siri
  3. Resetting network (in settings). Note this will also cause your passwords to be forgotten
  4. Making sure airplane mode is off
  5. Closing all background applications
  6. Disabling Background applications (in settings)
  7. Making sure there is minimal WiFi interference from other networks.

On my iPad, I had this issue with one of my networks and had to do most of the above. Then after about 5 minutes it finally came back to life and I got the check mark.

Most if these techniques were as a result of a google search on “network spinning on iPad”. Several sites also recommended resetting the router but if it is working on one device but not another, I don’t think the router (BomeBox in this case) is the problem. It is good that you set the country as this often makes network performance better (once connected).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

6 posts were split to a new topic: BomeBox WiFi Jitter