Crash When Shutting Down MTP in MacOS Golden Gate

After installing MacOS Golden Gate on my M4 MacMini, MTP crashes when shutting down (even if shutting down with no project open). Otherwise MTP seems to run fine.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Shutting down Bome MIDI Translator Pro or shutting down the OS? Do you get any kind of message. I have an M4 running Golden Gate and it is working fine.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care


Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for replying Steve - The crash occurs when shutting down MTP. MTP works normally (I run a fairly complicated MTP project to manage my midi pedal interactions), but when quitting MTP, I get the crash message below. This occurs even if no project is open in MTP at the time I quit MTP (if I start/end MTP with no project active, I’ll still get that message at shut down). This issue started when I installed MacOS Golden Gate earlier this week. Good to know it’s not happening at your end which suggests it might be something other than MTP causing it here (tho MTP is the only app I’ve found that’s started doing this). It’s not too serious since it only happens at MTP shut down, but I’d like to track it down since obviously something is amiss.

Hi, could you post a log file and a dump of the crash?

The links should take to the posts of instructions.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care


Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Also, since Golden Gate was released just recently, we don’t officially support it (although it works on my system). You also should update the the latest version of Bome MIDI Translator Pro (1.9.2).

Thanks Steve - Understood re: GG support. I’m on the latest MTP version (1.9.2). I sent the log files over via your contact page. Again, not really urgent since MTP still works fine for me other than the error at shut down. I have lots of various USB devices connected (only 2 needed for my MTP project) so I’m going to spend some time simplifying what’s running while MTP is running, to see if that makes a difference. Appreciate the help - congrats on a great product.

OK, sounds good. We will take a look.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care


Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I’ve seen similar shutdown behavior when an application is still holding MIDI ports. Checking whether the crash happens after quitting MIDI Translator versus only during OS shutdown might help isolate it.

The crash occurs at MTP shut down - not at OS shut down.

Strangely, today it’s not happening after it was occurring consistently prior to today since I installed MacOS Golden Gate about a week ago. Can’t think of what changed as I did not install any updates or software yesterday and didn’t do any re-config of any kind. Good news I guess - but doesn’t help explain what was happening.

Anyway - not an urgent issue - Bome has the log and dump files.

Hi Paul, Helen, thank you for your further info.

However, I can see in the logs that you’re still using an old version of Bome MIDI Translator Pro. The latest version (at this time) is 1.9.2. Download in your account:
https://www.bome.com/account/products

PS: v1.9.1 (which you’ve been running) had this problem since a recent MacOS update, which changed certain things we were using. We’ve worked around this and fixed it in 1.9.2.

Can you confirm you’re running v1.9.2 now? The About menu item will tell you.

Woops - you’re right - I’m on 1.9.1 - don’t know why I thought earlier I was at 1.9.2. Updated to 1.9.2 now - no error - thanks - sorry for the mixup.