Direct USB passthrough and MacOS/iOS/HW integration

Hi, I’m developing a performance system and have some questions. Any specific or general advice, any examples would be very much appreciated. I’ll include specific kit at the bottom. It’ll eventually be widened and integrated into a multi-performer AV setup.

1. Can class-compliant(*1) devices connected to my Bomebox via a USB hub be connected to a macbook with full proprietary functionality including configuration software without the need of translation or virtual MIDI ports?

2. If translation is the only possibility, is proprietary functionality still a possibility?

3. If the answer to (1) and (2) is a solid no, would it then be advisable to connect USB MIDI devices directly to the macbook and then have them loop back to the rest of the setup via max/MSP patches or similar? Any advice or examples are welcome.

Setup: Bomebox with Asometech 10 port Hub and DOREMiDi Hub-3,
Bome Network Pro, Bome MIDI Translator Pro.
Macbook M1 Max, Motu Ultralite AVB. Software: Ableton Live. Bunch of VSTs, MaxMSP peeking in.
Ipad Pro M1, USBstreamer B → ADA8200. Software: Loopy Pro, bunch of AUv3s
MIDI controllers: Midifighter Twister, M-Audio Oxygen Pro 61, Launchpad Pro Mk3, FCB1010, Arturia Keystep, Launchpad Mini Mk3, Launchcontrol XL, Behringer X-touch, Behringer BCR2000
Outboard Audio including: Hotone Ampero II, Korg Minilogue XD, Behringer 2600, Model D, Elektron Digitone, MS-1. Effects including Zoom MS-70CDR, Flashback x4 [tempo+parameter control]

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

From a MIDI 1.0 standpoint, yes. However if you configuration software uses other than MIDI, or requires a specific port name, you may need to connect it directly to your MacBook to handle the configuration. For instance the MIDI Fighter Twister requires a specific port name so you will need to connect it directly to be able to configure the controller. Also, some MIDI devices have hybrid USB interfaces that include MIDI, sound, and HID type interfaces. Only the MIDI interface will be exposed to your MacBook (through Bome Network) if coming through BomeBox. By default, there is no translation of MIDI messages coming from BomeBox however there are MIDI routing options. If you need translation, you would need to also purchase Bome MIDI Translator Pro which also runs on BomeBox.

Not applicable since translation is not the only possibility.

I don’t think you need Max/MSP however you can still use it in whatever fashion you like and to Max/MSP any connected devices on BomeBox will be seen as MIDI devices. Their device names will be seen as BomeBoxName:DeviceName. This is done over the network using Bome Network. The BomeBox has Bome Network built in and you can download Bome Network here for either Mac or Windows. If you want computer to computer network MIDI, you would need tp purchase Bome Network Pro. If only between BomeBoxes and Computers then you can use the free version of Bome Network.

Audio based applications will need to run on your MacBook Pro and if they have any network audio, then BomeBox does not process the audio but acts as a generic network router.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for your reply Steve. I’m testing this with a Launchpad Pro mk3 using Ableton’s standard MIDI remote script. Have you experience here?

So far it’s missing context. Some examples - interpreting MIDI messages as both note on/off AND Remote control messages with one launchpad pad triggering both a drum pad and selecting/navigating different matrix clips. The session view is blanked out and for instance the notes don’t adapt to playing a drum kit vs keys.

Ah ok, I guess the Launchpad’s ‘DAW’ functionality is simply precluded then. If there’s any way to garner this context specific information passed between live and the launchpad, please let me know? I suppose the same is true for other context-specific controllers (such as the Oxygen Pro keyboard’s proprietary support).

Not that specific controller, however you should know that you need to set up Ableton Live port definitions correctly as devices like this exposed multiple MIDI ports some which are used for performance (track), some that are used for control, and some that are used for pass through from other MIDI devices attached to the controller.

This support page should help get you started. However remember that your port names will be different when connected through a BomeBox. There are 3 MIDI ports, The one labeled DAW is for Remote Only. The one called MIDI looks like it is set up for both track and remote. The one labeled DIN is for a separate MIDI device attached to the DIN port of your controller (if attached).

Typically the one labeled DAW is used for MIDI remote scripts and the others are used for performance (track data).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

That worked out, thanks Steve.

Fao any future users, using the third MIDI USB device that the BOME recognised as the MIDI Control surface in Ableton worked, so that port

will have been the DAW port renamed. Flickering when changing session/note etc states was resolved by unchecking all but the minimum of routing options. Q). Why is it that the Bomebox recognises a ‘USB’ port alongside the regular, similarly named port?

By default, the MIDI router routes all attached MIDI devices to all other MIDI devices.

I suggest that you turn this feature off on your BomeBox (in the MIDI routing page) and then use Remote Direct MIDI on your Mac to access the ports. In this example I have a Launchpad Pro MK2 attached.

The above is a Bome Network Tool snapshot

Your port names would then show up on your computer similar to this.

And you would select the newly named port in Ableton Live by these names.

USB Port names are always given a generic name (USB 1, USB 2 , USB 3, etc) and then an auto alias name is created based on the name the USB device reports.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

After a little snafu with multiple controllers where ports were recognised but no MIDI data pipelined through, enabling MIDI routes on the Bome Network Tool’s MIDI router resolved things. Correct approach?

Next task = sharing/routing MIDI controllers between the Mac (mostly on Ableton), Loopy Pro on the iPad and assorted hardware. I have Network Pro on both machines and MIDI Translator pro. Most parameters will be hard mapped with some conditional to allow the same surface/cc’s etc to be mapped AND, AND/OR etc. Tips, signposts and examples welcomed.

Yes, however this route should have automatically been set up within Bome Network when you enabled Remote Direct MIDI in your Bome Network tool. You should not have to create it. If this route is not automatically created, let us know but first make sure you have the latest version of Bome Network Pro.

There are multiple options on sharing MIDI ports between BomeBoxes, computers and iOS devices. This post shows a few.

You can:

• Use the BomeNet MIDI router to share/merge or split MIDI ports statically with their own given names if you have the Unlimited Named MIDI Port add-on.
  • Use MT Pro (Computers only) and share/merge or split MIDI to Bome MIDI Translator Pro virtual ports.
  • Use MT Pro translators to selectively route or translate MIDI messages to various destination ports.

You might want to search in the forum or our tutorials for other ideas or if you can’t find what you are looking for, you can be more specific and we can provide additional guidance.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care