Finding a way to cycle through my articulations

Hello! To be brief, I want to map 2 buttons on my midi keyboard to go up and down my articulation for the bottom C notes. I’m struggling with how to program it exactly.

Im still new to this software and programming in general, but here is my thought process.

If my range of notes is from C -2 to G1, (which is I believe 16 notes or so) and if I make the variable the keyswitch and make one switch add 1 and the other minus 1, how do I get them to cycle back around without going above the key switch range or below C -2?

Hopefully this makes sense, thank you!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

I’m not sure what you mean. What are the two buttons? Do you know what MIDI the buttons send? Are you looking for them to change the transpose amount for your keyboard or do you want one button to sound the next higher note (killing the current note) and the other button to sound the next lower note (again killing the current note).

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

I think with “articulations” he means classic playing styles, like pizzicato, sforzando, staccato and so on. You press a certain low key on the keyboard and the synth switches to a certain type of playing. A problem arises if the keyboard is not large enough, the pre-defined key switches out of reach. Then an additional controller or buttons on the keyboard are the ideas for a workaround.

If my interpretation is correct, he wants two buttons sending MIDI notes C-2 to G1 stepwise, probably note-on only, one upwards and the other downwards, and rotating if the range border is reached.

(I personally would rather use an Akai APC mini or such for direct access and better overview. Or keystrokes via Bome MIDI Translator if a computer is attached.)

That is exactly right! Thank you for explaining this better, I believe the transpose function might work in this case but I also wanna make sure that those notes are killed because I like to access them on the normal keys besides using the pads. This means that I am trying to make sure of the note is swallowed in the only note that is actually sent to my DAW is the C negative 2 note all the way to G negative 1

Hello Steve! I watched all the tutorials, it is great to see you on the forum. The person below me better explain to my dilemma and I responded to them as well

Hi,
The following might help. You may want to change the value of your incoming buttons.

Button 1 will increment the value of the global variable ga and then send it to the application. If the value of ga is greater than 19 (g-1) then it will cycle back down to 0 (c-2).

// c-2 note
pp=0
// g-1
qq=19

ga=ga+1
if ga>qq then ga=0

Button 2 will decrement the value of global variable ga and then send it to the application. If the value of ga is less than 0 (c-2) then it will cycle back up to 19 (g-1).

// c-2 note
pp=0
// g-1
qq=19

ga=ga-1
if ga<pp then ga=qq

Some systems use the note-names differently so I set up the note name for how it is with many applications where c-2 is 0. You can change these values in the rules.

Articulation-Example.bmtp (1.5 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Programming Launchkey MK2 using inControl