General Workflow Question - Making Sense of How Projects, Presets, and Translators Fit Together

Hi all- I’m relatively new to the world of Bome MIDI Translator Pro, so please forgive the very basic questions here.

1. What is/are the best practice(s) so that any translator can be triggered at any time? I’m wondering if it’s better to have them all in one preset, or each translator in its own preset. Does it matter?

2. If someone who was very kind shared a .bmtp file with you, (how) could you bring those presets into your own project?

I appreciate any help! Thank you!

~Jeff

Hi and welcome to the Bome community.

I usually organize my presets by the MIDI routing they use as you can have presets input and output devices override the project level presets.

See this tutorial.

Also if you would like to disable a set of translators, you can do this at the preset level that allows you to turn on-and-off certain functionality.

See this tutorial on layers.

There is no hard and fast rule, Many just organize them by functions they server.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi Steve,

Thank you for the reply. The layers tutorial made a lot of sense. However, I still am wondering if the preset(s) within the project that Florian sent me (entitled Sweep) can/should be brought into an existing preset I have (entitled Colors inside of project entitled Laser Control). I have attached both projects. I appreciate any feedback!

Thank you,
Jeff
2022-03-14 Sweep.bmtp (1.5 KB)
LASER CONTROLS.bmtp (4.8 KB)

Hi, it looks like Sweep is using device “From Caedence” for input and device “To LaserOS” for output.

LASER CONTROLS is using IAC Ports at the project level. So I would

1. Copy and paste the Sweep preset in Sweep to your LASER CONTROLS Project.
  2. Assign your MIDI Ports in your COLORS preset to something other than you have them assigned in the Sweep preset.
  3. Make sure that any global variables defined in each project are unique. As far as I can tell Sweep only uses gd and gd and LASER CONTROLS does not use any global variables…

Then there should be no conflicts. If you want to use the same input device for both presets, then you should probably modify the rules of translator “Trigger Sweep” so that it does not conflict with the incoming trigger of any of the translators in the “COLORS” preset.

By default, MT Pro only allows one instance at a time, but you can turn that off for copy and paste operations in the View-Settings Menu.

Then Startup and uncheck "Only allow once instance (recommended). If you don’t want to do this you can do a copy operation on the preset of one file, close it, then open the new file and do a paste operation.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thank you, Steve! That worked like a charm. Now it’s time to play around with these parameters!

1 Like

Hi Steve,

If I wanted to apply a similar concept to other parameters, would I have to create new Inits for each preset?

Thank you,
Jeff

Hi Jeff,

I’m not sure I understand the question. Usually I just have one INIT preset and put all translators that I want to handle project initializing in there. I set all used global variables there primarily for documenting what I’m using.

You can have translators the set or change global variables
(which you many be calling parameters) anywhere within your project. It is usually good practice to have only a few that change their value and perhaps many that read their value. You don’t want two translators setting global variable at the same time as you are not sure which one will win out.

I hope this answers your question.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,

Well I was trying to have different parameter sweeps be triggered by different MIDI notes, but it looks like having one “init” makes the different sweeps happen at the same time, which is not what I want. Any thoughts on that please?

Thank you!

Hi, you will need to modify the project somewhat. I did this.
I modified Translator 1.0 to only trigger on note 60 and use the global variable g0 to control the sweep value by calling timer “Sweep”

I added translator 1.2 and 1.3. Translator 1.2 uses note 61 with a global variable of g2 and calls translator 1.3 “Sweep2”.

If you want each not to have it’s own sweep, then you need different timers and global variables for each that you what to use.

2022-03-19-Sweep.bmtp (2.0 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,

Thank you! I just saw this. I will try it soon.

~Jeff

Hi Steve,

Thank you! I tried it and it works great!

Now, to continue that process, let’s say I wanted make another preset where the value starts at 127 and goes down to zero. How would I accomplish that?

I appreciate all the help!

~Jeff

A post was split to a new topic: Reverse Sweep for Laser Control