Help needed with mapping MIDI messages in Bome MIDI Translator for DaVinci Resolve Fairlight and Loupedeck (Total Newbie)

Hello Bome Forum community,

I’m a complete newcomer to MIDI and seeking assistance with mapping MIDI messages in Bome MIDI Translator for controlling DaVinci Resolve Fairlight in conjunction with Loupedeck CT. I would greatly appreciate your patient guidance in this matter. Here’s the specific challenge I’m facing:

I have recently set up Bome MIDI Translator, DaVinci Resolve Fairlight, and Loupedeck app, but I have very limited knowledge about MIDI and mapping. My ultimate goal is to establish the necessary mappings in Bome MIDI Translator to control various parameters within Fairlight using Loupedeck.

Given my lack of experience, could you please provide step-by-step instructions or a beginner-friendly guide on the recommended setup and routing for Bome MIDI Translator in this scenario? I’m looking for clear explanations to ensure I can understand and follow the process correctly.

In addition, I’m particularly interested in mapping the volume faders in Fairlight to the controls on my Loupedeck. As a total newbie, I have no idea which MIDI messages or control change numbers to use or how to configure them in Bome MIDI Translator. Any simplified explanations or examples you could provide would be immensely helpful. I’m also interested in mapping functions such as solo/unsolo and mute for individual tracks in Fairlight to the controls on my Loupedeck. However, I’m unsure if such mappings are even possible, considering my limited knowledge of MIDI capabilities. If these mappings are indeed possible, please provide any insights, suggestions, or examples you have regarding how to achieve them.

I have tried to make sense of the documentation for Bome MIDI Translator, DaVinci Resolve Fairlight, and Loupedeck, but I’m struggling to grasp the concepts as a beginner. Your patient guidance, explanations, and insights would be invaluable in helping me overcome these challenges.

Thank you so much for your time and support. I greatly appreciate any assistance you can provide to help me get started on the right track.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

I’m not sure what your controller sliders send. Please connect up your controller to your computer and select it for incoming MIDI in Bome MIDI Translator Pro (MT Pro) and the open the MT Pro Log Window and check the MIDI IN Box. Then move your sliders, so that you can log the incoming MIDI messages that they send.
The below animation shows how to do that, however I selected my own controller as I don’t have a Loupedeck.

https://i.imgur.com/fDozy2V.gif

EDIT - I’m not sure how well the imgur animations come through now so I also
created a static snapshot with steps.

Then I should be able to help more.

No Davinci works with MIDI for Fairlight only. Anything outside of Fairlight, you will need to convert MIDI to keystrokes or mouse actions. There are several people that are doing similar, so once that we know that your Loupedeck can actually send MIDI, we should be able to help you. If you search this forum on ‘Resolve’ you should be able to find some examples. However first thing is to make sure your LoupeDeck can send MIDI. I’m not sure it has that capability and is even a MIDI controller.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thanks for the reply, from what I was able to observe, I can configure loupedeck to send midi signals in its software directly, so I changed the dials to send different Midi signals, each set to different channels, then I launched the bome log, I was able to find the following :

On the first dial
MIDI B0 01 pp
(MIDI B0 01 0A and all the different values with both changing last two digits while I’m turning the dial)

On the second dial
MIDI B1 01 pp (same as above, just different B value, then all values changing in last two digits)

and the rest dials are all just increasing in the B value (which in this case MIDI B2 01 pp, etc) which I assume that its because I set different channels for each dials

I’m not sure if I’m doing it correctly though.
also the loupedeck allows for setting the signal to be either of the following:
1-modulation wheel or lever ( in this case I’m using this )
2-breath controller
3-undefined
4-foot controller
5-portamento time
7- channel volume
10-pan
etc so I’m not sure which one should I actually be using
also, it is able to send other type of midi signals as well rather than CC - you can see more here

Hi,

Thanks for letting me know what MIDI your controller sends.

So it looks like the faders probably send CC 0 through CC8 on MIDI Channel 1
B0 00 xx through B0 07 xx - Where XX is the value.
Fairlight should be set up to recognize Mackie MCU protocol.
The attached project file will convert the faders to pitch bend which is what Mackie MCU uses.

I set up a single translator that should handle all 8 faders (if your controller has that many. If you follow the pattern above it should work.

I did this in one translator. It may be a bit confusing but for me it is easier to do it that way. Here are the rules, with my comments. Don’t worry too much if you don’t understand them.

// Mask the upper nibble 0xF0 is 240 decimal
rr=oo&240
// Look for 0xb0 0xb0 is 176 decimal
if oo!=176 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action
// If it is greater than CC 8 then don't
// do anything
if pp>8 then exit rules, skip Outgoing Action

// The CC number become the MIDI channel
// We OR this with pitch bend message
// to send the correct output 0x224 is 0xe0 or pitch bend
oo=224|pp
// The value we will use for both LSB and MSB we loose some
// precision here but it should work.

Here is how I have set up my aliases, for you you should set up My Controller to whatever port your controller shows on your system.

Application on Fairlight should be set to ‘BMT 1’ or Bome MIDI Translator Virtual Port 1 In.

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

And here is the project file. Give it a try.

Loupedeck-to-Fairlight faders.bmtp (1.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I tried the script,
In fairlight I’m having it set to

MIDl Protocol : MCU compatible
MIDl Input : Bomes Midi Translator
MIDl Output: Bome’s Midi Translator

But so far nothing’s reacting, is this correct?

MIDI Input should be your controller. You should probably use this version of the project as I had forgotten that Fairlight probably also needs fader touch/release messages which I added to the outgoing MIDI message of this translator.

Loupedeck-to-Fairlight faders-a.bmtp (1.4 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Omg, thanks for the update, this version absolutely works, I just assigned all of them, I’m able to control the faders in davinci now!

Edit:do Davinci just allow for 8 fader maximum control? Because I just realized that I can have multiple pages on loupedeck which means on each page I could have different midi inputs assigned - Also is there anyway to control the Bus fader ( in which fairlight’s case, works like the Print Master fader)

I’'m not sure. The MCU protocol support 8 faders and a master fader. Typically for a single MIDI port, this means you have to have the ability to ‘bank up’ or ‘bank down’ to get access to additional faders. I’m not sure how Davinci Resolve handles this.

Some applications allow for input from multiple MIDI ports where port 1 would control the first set of 8 faders and port 2 the second set, etc. The same MIDI is sent on each port and the port number determines which back of faders to control. It really depends on the MIDI implementation with Davinci Resolve and I cannot find anything in their documentation that covers this in detail. You may need to check with them.

This post might help you. You might need to do your own research and once you discover what you need come back for help in implementing it with Bome MIDI Translator Pro.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi,
I added 2 translators, you will need to set the incoming message from two buttons on your Loupedeck. One button will control Bank Dp and the other Bank Down. Each button makes your track selection 8 tracks higher (for up) or lower (for down). In my case I set the incoming message as note 0 on MIDI CH 1 for bank up and note 1 on MIDI CH 1 for bank down.

However, since you are sending absolute values from your faders, your faders will likely jump when you go to the next bank.

Are you faders really faders on your Loupdeck or are they knobs? If they are knobs, can you set them up to send relative CC messages instead of absolute? If so, then we could easily set them not to jump by tracking the last known value.

If they are faders or knobs with hard stops and absolute values only, there is still an option to create a ‘take-up’ function which will make the faders not move until they have crossed there last know value. That way they will not jump.

Loupedeck-to-Fairlight faders-b.bmtp (1.8 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I followed the link you provided, but I must admit that I found it quite challenging to understand the MIDI implementation described there. As someone with limited knowledge of MIDI, I couldn’t grasp the concepts completely…

Regarding the updated script, I attempted to assign two different MIDI keys as input for the bank up and bank down functions. However, I encountered unexpected behavior. I tried assingning two different keys as midi input in the incoming tab, which in this case (pp 18 01 for bank up, and pp 01 01 for bank down) When I press the bank up key (pp 18 01), all the dials stop functioning. Conversely, when I press the bank down key (pp 01 01), the dials start working again.

I’m unsure why this is happening, and I would greatly appreciate any additional guidance

The faders on loupedeck are knobs, I’m unsure of whether they can send relative CC or not, the options available in the loupedeck software are the following:

Note play

CC Set

CC Toggle

Program Change

Also a midi note reference list from their documentation

from what I was able to observe, all of them require to input a value / program number,
Note play requires velocity and duration, CC toggle requires two value (value 1 and value 2) while CC set is what I’m currently using, it requires Inputting avalue, and able to select different channels

For incoming, try 90 18 7F for back up and 90 01 7F for bank down
These are notes. 90 is note-on MIDI CH 1. 18 is note 24 (18 hex) and 7F is the note velocity which is max of 127.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

This looks like for buttons only. There might be something different for assigning knobs but if not, I guess that is what we get.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Okay, Just to confirm

are these the correct setting for both controls?

See Chart below: Yellow is Bank Down and Greenish is Bank up. This is for incoming trigger. Do not change outgoing action. This is based on what you told me.

Edit, you can also probably shorten the note play time to 10ms from 100ms.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks a bunch for the help! Yes its all working now, just a strange bug though, I was able to control every single fader except the first track.

Also, is there anyway to control the panning too? Or its only available by mouse actions?

What MIDI does the knob of your first track send?

Yes, but it is better if you can figure out how to get relative CC values from your controller. If not, show me a log of what MIDI your knobs send for panning.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

First knob midi signal from loupedeck is MIDI B0 01 pp - which controls the 2nd track

Haven’t had luck in finding a way to send relative CC value so far… Contacted support on loupedeck, will see how they respond, but I dont have high hopes as their last response was asking me to reference to their documentation

Regarding the panning signals - from the log window are following:
Knob 1 - B1 0A 00
Knob 2 - B2 0A 00
Knob 3 - B3 0A 00
Knbo 4 - B4 0A 00
Knob 5 - B5 0A 00
and etc - its all adding a number after ‘B’

Does the last digit go from 0 to 7F when you turn the knobs right and then count down from 7F to 0 when you turn the knobs left?

Yes it does