How to make a Pitch Bend trigger a single Sysex call to a machine

I am building a organ for the Roland Fantom and I wanna use the joystick pitch bend as a switch for fast and slow rotary… , I guess the data or negative and positive numbers go so fast it does not trigger the output… I have player with the rules I know how to implement rules but not to efficient in creating them…

If someone can give me a rule solution for this issue and direct me to a place to study how rules works so I will understand the language, I would be most grateful…

Hi and Welcome!

Could you tell me

1. Whether you want the fast, slow to hold after bending up and down after releasing or do you want to have continuous control depending on where you are holding your joystick at any given point in time.
  2. Can you provide the SysEX message for the Fantom for both Fast and Slow?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi,
It looks like you can assign any control to any function on the Fantom.

See the below video.

Hey thanks for responding, ok control of the rotary in this video is only for the rotary effect or MFX on a single zone, there is no control over the TFX master effects…

I want to bend the joystick down towards me once and activate the fast and sling it to the left to activate slow, I have a button to activate the Brake already

The Sysex for the master rotary

Fast: F0 41 10 00 00 00 5B 12 00 00 10 10 08 00 00 01 57 F7

SLOW: F0 41 10 00 00 00 5B 12 00 00 10 10 08 00 00 00 58 F7

So are down (toward you) and left both pitch bend? Usually left and right are pitch bend and up and down are modulation. I can make it react to pitch bend in either direction but not sure that is the incoming message that you are describing. It sound like modulation (usually CC1) and pitch bend down.

1 Like

Not the Mod wheel its just pitch bend , I wish I could change it to a cc but they did not allow that, its the side to side pitch bend, joystick

I tryed to have it trigger using one of the different parameters which is 0 to 8192 or the right positive and 0 to -6799 on the negative side , it did it a couple times but not Consistent, I figured it was too many numbers going to quick for Bome to pickup, but I’m still thinking of a way, even if fast and slow can be triggered like a toggle from 0 the mid point some how fast and slow would trigger every other time… just a though if its possible…

But to answer your question up above…
I want the fast, slow to hold after bending up and down after releasing

Something like the attached should work.
I set it up so that nothing happens if it is close to center (between -20 and +20).
If that is too sensitive you may need to adjust.

Pitch-Bend-to-Fantom-Rotary-2020-12-02.bmtp (960 Bytes)

There are two aliases you need to assign
My Application - Receiver of Pitch Bend
Keyboard - Sender of Pitch Bend

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Ok thanks ill try it…

Getting there , so what happens when I pull stick towards me it goes to fast but when I release it back to center it goes to slow and bending the other way does nothing…

I need it to stay on fast pulling towards me after release and stay slow bending the other way after release or toggle towards me for fast and slow…

ive been on this all night yesterday, I know the right rule will get it perfect just don’t have it yet lol…
and im learning as I go… didn’t know the rule you gave was possible to manipulate the sysex…

Brilliant!!

wait I reopened and now it works

if pp<-20 then oo=0
if pp>20 then oo=1
if oo==1 then qq=87
if oo==0 then qq=88

the sysex is 57 and 58 on the end where you used 87 and 88 for the qq values.
Why did that work with those numbers?

this actually works perfect…

if pp<-1000 then oo=0
if pp>1000 then oo=1
if oo==1 then qq=87
if oo==0 then qq=88

Thanks a mill!!!

Yes 87 decimal is 57 hex and 88 decimal is 58 hex.

The outgoing actions of raw MIDI are always expressed in hexadecimal.

If you are on Windows platform you can open up calculator and put it into “Programmer” mode and do the conversion there.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks I gotta lock you in, for some big projects I have in mind…
really appreciate your help…

1 Like

You are welcome! The other neat trick you might like to know is that if you enter a rule like

ga=0x57

When you come back to it later it will do the conversion for you. Next time you come back to it, it will say
ga=87

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Wow Nice!.. ive got to learn this , where can I educate myself? I have a little knowledge of sysex I get the concept I understand midi pretty well, but these formulas are foreign to me …

Well SySex is pretty much for special message by different vendors. For SySex standandards go to MIDI.org. It is free to get an account there.
For numbering systems, search google for Binary and Hexadecimal. Those are the best places to start.

1 Like

is it common for keyboards to some how randomly change its sysex for a particular function?

No it is usually pretty fixed. A few keyboards however allow you to program your own SysEX messages. Most of the time, if the manufacturer supports SysEX, they publish an parameter address map, but it is getting less common in the last 3-4 years.

Steve

Hey apparently new guys only get 16 replys in here, I was cut off last night… but this was my last response…

Fantom did something weird, when I switch scenes and went back to the one I was working on it was back to normal, but then again I notice it works better with decimal digits the Hex. it worked with Hex but not consistent, when I changes a HEX(60) to DEC(96) it works much better.

if oo==1 then ss=1
if qq==95 then rr=53
if oo==00 then ss=00
if qq==96 then rr=54