Logic Pro X as Midi Only Master Send to Win. 10 Reaper Midi-Audio Slave Receive Networking Setup?

Hi,
I’m trying to setup a DAW between computers, with my Win. 10 Desktop using Reaper as my VST & FX host & audio input/output to receive & record Midi pieces, & my Macbook Pro using Logic Pro X exclusively for composing scores using notation & Midi send playback only, NO actual audio will be processed on the Mac, & the Mac system audio outputs have been muted. The only external Midi devices I’m using are a MOTU Midi Express to connect my 64 Key Kawai Midi Keyboard for Note Entry in Logic.

I’m using Bome Network & the Virtual Midi Ports software programs in order to do this, & can easily see the matching networked Bome virtual channels within the respective Reaper & Logic Midi setups, but I can’t get Logic to send the Midi playback data over to trigger the loaded VST sounds I have in Reaper for playback, all assigned channels in Logic correspond to the loaded VST instances in Reaper, & I can manually test-play the loaded Reaper VST sounds through the Win. 10 sound-card & external speakers connected to my Harmon Kardon Receiver.

Could I get any pointers here, the closest guides I’ve found, focus soley on the Mac Audio-Midi IAC connections in order to do this, but my setup naturally must work via Bome outside of the normal Audio-Midi or IAC network connections.

I just want to start composing, & I’m at my wits end, thanks!

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

Are you using Unlimited Named Virtual Ports on your PC side? If so, can you show me how you have setup the routing. These ports unlike IAC ports, when created are simply ‘endpoints’ and you may need to route the input endpoint to the output endpoint to have them work like MIDI pipes. This is not done automatically as there is a lot more flexibility in how you can route the endpoints.

I suspect that this may be the issue. If not, we will need to figure out where the data gets lost so you might want to load a copy of Bome MIDI Translator Pro (even the trial version if you don’t own it) to diagnose what is being seen on your Windows PC.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Mac Screenshot with Translator.

Windows Screenshot with Translator. Using 4 instrument posts as a test with Harp, Oboe, Basses, & Timp., unsure why Basses port can’t be added after Oboe, but they all seem to be open on each side as I want.

Hi,

Are these port Bome Network Virtual Ports? If so, show me how you have the routing set up in the Bome Network tool.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yes, they are. The problem turned out to be how I had setup my Logic Pro X Midi environment, I went back to an earlier Midi test file from a couple years back and that one played the midi data through those created Bome Virtual ports, so now I’m now on my way, thanks!

Well I’m glad you got it working !

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Just one more question: Since 2020, are there now standalone guides for Bome Network Pro software and the Unlimited Named Midi Ports addon for those not using using the Bomebox?

I don’t have access to my computers right now, were they bundled with the software under a ‘help’ section, couldn’t find anything on the site or anything specific on YouTube without Bomebox being involved…

No there are not, I’ve been tasked with doing some tutorials first, however, I think I’ve been too slow on putting them out so hopefully I will get something out soon. In the meantime, you can certainly ask questions here and I will be happy to help.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Okay, then let me ask these 3 setup questions that I’m still a bit foggy about, as I’m now dealing with feedback issues based on what I said had been working:

1. Can you pipe one instance of 16 or more midi channels back & forth through one vmidi port, or only use one midi channel either way per vmidi port?

2. As stated previously on the Mac-Side, I have my external midi keyboard connected to my MOTU Express, both added as ‘Audio-Midi’ devices; is it possible to do these particular midi connections solely through Bome Network Pro instead without Bomebox, & if so, how? I’d like to disable & bypass Mac’s Audio-Midi features completely if I can.

3. Also as stated previously, I’m only using Logic Pro on Mac as the Master sender to compose notation, then route-send it as strictly midi data back to Reaper on Win. 10 as the Slave receiver, that is hosting all the audio & effects plugin VSTs for playback. ZERO midi sent from Reaper, ZERO midi received by Logic, & ZERO audio used in Logic.

So, whether using Bome Network Pro, or Unlimited Named Ports, will the Midi routing IN/OUT setup (Bomebox image below as example), if configured on the Mac-side), automatically be detected on the Windows 10 side?

Or must I manually setup the same routing in Windows to help complete it to virtually run it through to Reaper?

Any given Vitual MIDI port can can handle all 16 MIDI Channels plus Non-channel messages. Every port has two end points. Normally you route the endpoints together IN → Out to make a MIDI Pipe, so for 2 way communications, your normally create 2 virtual ports. One for each direction.

I cannot say specifically for the MOTU Express as I believe it is not class compliant and has its own MIDI driver. With that said, most devices that have both Audio and MIDI USB on the same cable, expose the interfaces separately. Bome Products will only see the MIDI device and do nothing with Audio Processing. You would need to use something outside of Bome to disable audio connections or perhaps mute them.

This should work, just set up your MIDI routing through the virtual ports created in the direction from Logic Pro on your Mac to Reaper on Win 10.

On the image you are showing, it appears that the port comes from BomeBox14 an not from your Mac. You Mac will show up on your Windows system by the name of the Mac Computer, yes, this port is always exposed when the connection is made. As you can see, for the main connection, there are always 2 MIDI Pipes set up when the connection is made. In addition, if you have Virtual Port on the machine. You can expose them on your Mac in the MIDI settings on your Windows Machine by going clicking on the main connection and then turning on the switch for any ports that your Mac sees. For instance on my Main PC, I can click on Gaming PC and then turn on the switch ‘F-Central Virtual’ which is a Virtual Port I created on the gaming PC and view that port on my main PC as ‘Steve-Gaming:F-Central Virtual’. The other ports shown, I left disabled.

On your Windows side, you could either route the input of that port through a locally named virtual port on your Windows machine, if you don’t like the name assigned.

For instance, if I create a virtual port on my Windows machine called ‘test’, I can do this and it will be seen on my Windows machine simply as ‘test’.

I typically do not add this layer of abstraction unless the target application insists on a given port name instead of the one that is automatically assigned, but you have a choice here.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care