Morningstar MC8 Key commands through BomeBox

Hello @SteveC, I am a Morningstar, IConnectivity user and I bought a software license for Midi Translator Pro to solve an MIOXL preset change by PC issue.
I see this thread concerning MC8 and have a related question.

I am interested in buying a BomeBox to replace my PC running Midi Translator, and I have a question. My MC8 is connected to an MIOXL but this last device does not support the Key Command firmware version of MC8 and to solve this, as I am not actually using this key command feature (built for Ableton Live ), Morningstar generates a “No Keyboard” firmware which is accepted by MIOXL.
My question is does BomeBox support the MC8 “normal” firmware, for normal I mean with midi AND keyboard simulation ?
If yes, could BomeBox route these key commands from an MC8 connected to its USB Host to a computer ?
Thank you for answer.

Hi,
In general, the BomeBox only handles:

1. MIDI (USB, MIDI DIN and Bome Network and certain Allen & Heath mixers)
  2. Serial Data (with a USB serial adapter)
  3. QWERTY Keyboard INPUT via USB (with an attached USB hub)

I’ve not tested #3 with anything other than a standard QWERTY keyboard, so you might need to test this. There is no QWERTY keyboard OUTPUT supported by the BomeBox.

Note: I split this into a new post from the original post since it is a different question.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thank you for answer.
I don’t understand the implication of this last “OUTPUT” statement, does it mean that BomBox will accept the keys from a QWERTY keyboard but can’t deliver them to an Ableton Lite running on a connected PC ?

Correct.

However, you could convert it to MIDI on BomeBox, send it to your PC as MIDI and if running Bome MIDI Translator Pro, convert it to a keystroke there.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also understand that without a Bome MIDI Translator Pro project on BomeBox, it is just a simple MIDI router so conversion of any kind will not happen if you don’t have Bome MIDI Translator Pro.Also I’m uncertain of a hybrid USB interface for a device that offers both MIDI and QWERTY keyboard on the same USB interface.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Ok, that’s a solution, quite complicated but it seems to exist.
So BomeBox seems to be supporting the “Keyboard extended” version of MC8 firmware (to be tested) which are not doing the MIOXL/MIOXM.

It would be more easy if BomeBox could present itself as a Midi and Keyboard USB device just as is doing MC8. In this eventuality the MIDI Translator Pro should not be necessary on PC.

I think the OS for BomeBox is based on OpenWRT release so maybe at some point there would be a driver for keyboard output but there are no guarantees.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like