MTP on Mac OS Monetery - no Output signals in monitor & no Mouse control

Hey guys!
I’m trying to setup some translators for controlling the mouse. I’ve followed the very simple steps on Bome’s YouTube video on using the exact same Midi controller (DJTT Midi Twister) and re-checked all the settings multiple times but I can’t get MTP to output the mouse wheel data at all !
I’ve activated/allowed MTP to control things in Mac OS’s security system prefs.
MIDI Twister input port is both tagged/activated and receiving data in the input capture field of the translator…
(btw if I choose simply MIDI as translator output also here the data capture field shows the data)

I’m wondering why this doesn’t work. Also the activity monitor shows MIDI input but no activity on the output side - neither in the “Mouse LED” nor - after trying that for testing - in the MIDI Out LED once I choose a virtual MIDI port as output instead of the mouse action…any ideas ???

And as a general question - is the MIDI Out LED also supposed to be lit for MIDI data output through a translator ? Or only for Thru-Routings in the MIDI-Patcher (these DO show activity once patched)…

Hi, we have not received any reports of problems with Monterey. I’m currently running Big Sur on my Mac, but will update to Monterey and check.

In the meantime, could you post the project file you are using along with a log of what is happening. In the log window, check MIDI IN, Incoming and Outgoing.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Hi,
I just created this project file. It works fine, however I had to apply a multiplier of 10x in the rules order for it to move the wheel.

// Use the value of qq but subtract 0x50 to make it positive or negative
qq=qq-0x40
// multiplier 10x
qq=qq*10

MFT-Scroll-Wheel-2022-05-27.bmtp (898 Bytes)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Oh and on the monitor window you should see MIDI in blinking and Mouse out blinking.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hey Steve,
thanks for your efforts.

That’s exactly the Problem - as described already, I can’t get any output out of (as it seems) any translator config… Both in the Log window and the Event Monitor there’s only the incoming MIDI data visible…;-(

The one and only way of seeing anything going out is patching MIDI thru

Hi Uli,

Please open the log window and check the MIDI IN, Incoming, and MIDI OUT Boxes. Move your MIDI Fighter twister knob, and then show a screen shot so I can see what is happening.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I did that already - no activity at all on the output side of things…
If I check all of the “filter boxes” I get only the Input messages. If I only check “MIDI Out” and “Outgoing” there’s nothing happening at all…;-(

Please

1. Show the screen shots
  2. Post the project file.

Pay particular attention to Incoming vs MIDI in message. If you see MIDI IN but no incoming, it is likely the incoming trigger of your translator is not correct. I really need to look at this to be able to help you.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

This even goes for the most simple setup with one MIDI note input on one port I want to forward to an output MIDI port - no activity on the output side and also the blue MIDI socket icon of the Event Monitor doesn’t show anything

Uli, I need screen shots of the log so I can see what is going on. The event monitor activity is of little or no help in this case. If you don’t want to do a screen shot, you can still capture the log and copy and paste the output into a posting on this web site.

Again, I’m pretty sure you have the the wrong incoming trigger which would be seen instantly in the log window if you check MIDI IN, Incoming and Outgoing.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-27 um 22.13.22
Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-27 um 22.13.48

Midi Twister Test 001.bmtp (1.1 KB)

See the test project (MIDI output to virtual MIDI port instead of Mouse Wheel control) and the screenshots…

Don’t understand what you mean by that ?

AAAAHHH…Now I’ve got it !
I was thinking that “Capture MIDI” would also be a kind of MIDI Learn function…now that I’ve entered the correct CC number (the one that’s also being shown in the Capture Midi box) it works…

You are posting logs from MIDI capture (incoming and outgoing). I need to see the log window. Not the MIDI capture. See the below as how it looks on Windows, it should look similar on Mac.

After you have set it up, turn your knob and then we can see what is happening.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I’ve posted both Log Window & Event Monitor…but as I haven’t entered the right CC number those have been empty ;o)

So this one thing is solved for me! Thanks for your efforts, Steve !

Maybe you could help me with another issue / task:

Is there anything I can do to have a translator do the following task:
I want to use the Mouse scrolling feature of MTP in combination of macros I’m programming in Keyboard Maestro.
One Problem of the MIDI controller device I use (the MIDI Twister) is that the additional function of pressing the encoder knob as a button (= MIDI note message) sometimes interferes with the encoder turn data (=CC#12 INC/DEC) because it’s a stepless encoder and just touching it slightly while performing a button press also launches encoder CC data…

Can I perform something in MTP that makes the translator ignore let’s say the first 5 CC messages it gets on the input and have this initial “waiting for the first 5 messages” state reset after a certain time of inactivity of both the button and the encoder messages?

And: I’ve noticed that there is a delay function checkbox on the output side…considering a pretty fast input stream of CC data from the encoder, would this delay affect every single message hence making the CC stream getting slower ? Or would it just act like a pause before the first event that comes in ?

Hi based on your feedback and what your controller is sending, I believe the following should work.

MFT-Scroll-Wheel-2022-05-27.bmtp (898 Bytes)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Yes, see the below.
The first translator will ignore the first 5 incoming CC messages using a counter ‘ga’. After that it will start sending.
The second translator will set a 150sec millisecond timer.
The third translator will set ga back to zero thereby disabling the CC again.
MFT-Scroll-Wheel-2022-05-27a.bmtp (1.4 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Thanks for your suggestions !
I’ve tried your last file but it still is not what I need…like this when I turn the knob for longer it keeps counting up to 5 and then letting one event through and then starts again from the top: Log window shows as follows then:
5228: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 1
5229: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 2
5230: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 3
5231: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 4
5232: 0.0:5 Log Unblocked
5233: MIDI OUT [IAC-Treiber Bus 2]: B0 0C 7F
5234: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 1
5235: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 2
5236: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 3
5237: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 4
5238: 0.0:5 Log Unblocked
5239: MIDI OUT [IAC-Treiber Bus 2]: B0 0C 7F
5240: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 1
5241: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 2
5242: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 3
5243: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 4
5244: 0.0:5 Log Unblocked
5245: MIDI OUT [IAC-Treiber Bus 2]: B0 0C 7F

etc. etc.

What I need is only the first 5 events being blocked and then every event from that moment on which should then look like this:

5228: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 1
5229: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 2
5230: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 3
5231: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 4
5231: 0.0:3 Log Blocking iteration 5
5232: 0.0:5 Log Unblocked

etc. (of course the line numbers are wrong due to copy-pasting ;-))

Then after a definable delay (or better time of incativity) the Block should be turned on again…

Update: Forgot to explain that I’ve changed the Output to MIDI controller data instead of the mouse wheel output…just for testing purposes and better visibility…