Possible to Map Basic CC Faders to ProTools?

Hi, this is probably beaten to death, but I didn’t find info for using ProTools with a basic MIDI CC fader.

I have a lovely MIDI fader that is non-motorized. It outputs just basic MIDI for all CC’s 0 - 127.

I’d like to be able to have ProTools recognize the faders for controlling automation. Logic Pro does it natively, but ProTools does not to recognize the unit.

I’ve spent hours googling this and I’ve setup ProTools to use the faders (they are seen in MIDI Input devices). But then apparently I have to setup the faders as a ‘control surface’ and there are several options, HUI and command8 and some others. The faders do not speak HUI or anything else but basic MIDI.

I’ve also spent a long time going through videos on YouTube and managed to get a start on all this with the Bome MIDI Translator. By using the HUI protocol I can keep the faders ‘alive’ in ProTools by sending pings. That’s working. I lifted it off YouTube and the HUI doc.

But alas, the rest seems daunting. Is HUI even the right protocol to emulate? Do I need to send a touch command before sending the MIDI data? I’m so at a loss as to what to do next. I just want ProTools to ‘see’ and accept MIDI data from the basic faders.

Has anyone done this before?

Thanks for any pointers.

Mike

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

The following project file should work with ProTools for fader 1. In ProTools set it up for HUI with input and output to ‘BMT 1’ (if you are using MT Pro short names) or ‘Bome Virtual MIDI Port 1’ (if you are using long names).

There are 4 translators. I have set it up as CC19 with the first 3 translators.

0.0 - Sends a touch command for fader 1 when you move the control.
0.1 - Sets a timer for fader release command after 100ms of non-activity
0.2 - Moves the Fader
0.3 - Send the fader release after the timer triggers

1.0 - Responds to a HUI Ping with Ping Response.

Here are my notes on how HUI protocol handles faders

Zone 0-7 is the fader number - There are only 8 faders and if you want more you need to have either another controller or use bank up and bank down messages.

B0 0z hh 2z ll
z is zone 0-7
hh is the MSB
ll is the LSB

Touch Fader 
B0 0f 0z = Zone
B0 2f 40 = Port 0 On

Release Fader
B0 0f 0z = Zone
B0 2f 00 = Port 0 Off

I used an AKAIPro MIDI MIX fader 1 for this example.

Here is how I have my aliases set up.

You can learn more about aliases from this tutorial.

CC- to HUI-Fader-Example.bmtp (2.1 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Steve! This is priceless! Many MANY thanks for this! I so appreciate it!

I had managed to get the ping working but your script will be amazing!

I’m going to work with it and let you know how I do.

Thanks so much!

Also, I make some cool MIDI faders, and I’m trying to figure this out for my customers. I wonder if you ever do deals where I can bundle your software and sell it along with the boxes I make, and a script like this? I guess it would be kind of like affiliate marketing on my end.

Anyway, thanks again, and I’m going to spend some time with this now!!

Best,

Mike

Hi Mike,

This is a simplified example with multiple faders on the MIDIMIX with no need for timers. The touch and release messages are sent along with the move messages in the same translator. The rules indicate the fader number to use.

This example controls all 8 faders and also has a bank-up and bank-down function.

MIDIMix - Fader to HUI-Example.bmtp (2.3 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Fantastic! Thanks so much Steve!! I’ll spend some time with it.

You’ve done such an amazing job not only with your products, but with your support!

Stellar!!!

Mike

Thanks, Mike!

I wish I could take credit for the product but I’m just a happy customer that was so happy I was given the privilege of providing support for the Bome Company.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

By the way - BOTH files you sent worked! I think I like the second one better because it’s simpler and doesn’t have the timers. And it allows for up to 8 sliders.

I was able to setup 4 different tracks and have a different fader control the volume of each one.

Thanks!

Mike

Yes, that is why I sent that one. Seemed more straight forward to me too.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Steve, This is genius and works so well. Many thanks for posting it.

Mic

1 Like

Hi Steve,
Are there any updates for the same process in Protools 2024.3?
Can’t get this to work for the life of me…

Thanks!

It works but I found an issue with the way ProTools keeps track of open virtual ports. See this post from a few weeks ago. We have reported this issue to Avid.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care