Talkback button (press and hold)?

Hi All!
I’m translating from X-Touch to Studio One (from MIDI Notes to MIDI CC) following your great support on this thread.

Is there a way to create a Talkback button that would require pressing and holding it until released? It’s LED would have to behave the same way. It would be assigned to the corresponding button within Studio One which is designed to work the same way. What rules or command types would be required to implement that?

Thanks!

This would likely work. I do not see Studio One having MIDI for talkback so we would have to convert a MIDI message to a keystroke. In this example I use Num1 but you might need to use something else if Studio One is using that for something else.
The first preset handles getting the incoming MIDI messages and outputting to Studio One.

The first translator focuses Studio 1 when pressing down a key (in this case note 64).
The second translator fires 10 ms later and sends the Num1 Key Down.

The third translator again ensure focus on Studio 1 when releasing the button (Note Off).
The forth translator fires 10 ms later and sends the Num1 Key Up.

The second preset handle MIDI feedback to your device. Most devices light an LED on note on and turn it off with a special form of note off (Note on velocity 0). This is why I’m using raw MIDI for output.

You will need to set up the aliases for your controller and adjust the incoming note numbers to match your controller and outgoing keystrokes to match how you have it in StudioOne. Also you need to math the outgoing MIDI to control the LED’s

If you can find a way to map to a MIDI command in StudioOne that would be even better but I didn’t see any documentation that StudioOne would accept MIDI for talkback.

Talkback-StudioOne.bmtp (2.1 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

Thank you, Steve! The Talkback button is a software button in Studio One which becomes available when Presonus StudioLive mixer is connected. Studio One integrates Studiolive, a Talkback button in Studio One appears and it represents actual Talkback function on the connected StudioLive mixer.

So any MIDI CC in Studio One can be programmed to be assigned to Talkback, just like with any other command. A keyboard shortcut can also be assigned to Talkback. When the actual Talkback is pressed by a mouse or a key shortcut, it behaves like normal Solo or Mute: pressing once engages Talkback, pressing it again disengages it.

I’ve tried your example and assigned an X-Touch button to a keyboard key, and it requires pressing it to engage, and pressing again to disengage.

But is there a way to program Bome to convert a MIDI note from a button an X-Touch to control Talkback in “push-to-talk” manner, which means that it remains engaged as long as it’s pressed?

Is there any advantage to having Bome triggering am assigned key shortcut versus the software Talkback command directly?

If you can tell me which CC command Studio One uses for press talkback and release talkback then, yes we could do it with MIDI. The keystroke method is primarily for situations when MIDI mapping is unavailable.

I’m not sure why you had to press the button twice. I don’t see any talkback control in Studio One (at least my version)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

That’s because you don’t have a hardware StudioLive mixer connected to your computer. The Talkback button (and some other controls) appear only when StudioLive hardware mixer is connected.

Any MIDI CC command can be assigned to Talk button via the Learn MIDI window, just like we did with Solo buttons. I press Learn MIDI in Studio One, then hit an X-touch button, it appears in Learn MIDI, the right click on it, choose Assign Command and choose Talkback. In my case, I have to convert a MIDI note from X-touch to be converted to CC for Studio One to recognize it.

The only problem is that Talkback has to be released only by hitting the button again. Is there a way to program Bome MIDI Translator to send a de-press command when I de-press the assigned X-touch button?

Yes, send the same midi note twice on output. You could do this with either

1. two translators with the same input and output
    or
  2. by using raw MIDI to send 2 notes (or CC) on output on a single translator with 1 note on input.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Could you please attach a project example of that? Input note 61 on Ch1, convert to CC 61 so that pressing the button would send a CC On command and de-pressing - CC off.

Before I do, can you test to see if this will actually work? You told me you need to press the button twice which means in reality, you might need to send CC value 127 twice when pressing the button and again when releasing the button. You could test with Send SX if you are on windows CC 61 would be B0 3D 7F for press and B0 3D 00 for release. I have no way to test the behavior of S1 since I don’t have a StudioLive Mixer and you tell me the talkback only shows when one is attached.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

If as you described, the attached should work. I set the global variable “tb” to the desired incoming note in translator 0.2 so if you want to change which button you use, you can change it there and then restart the project for it to take effect.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

That one didn’t work for me and I don’t understand ‘Project File is Opened’ and other commands there so I can’t figure why that is not working…

Unlike in the hardware mixer, the Talkback in Studio One works exactly as regular Solo button, so you can try it with a Solo button in Studio One. It requires pressing and releasing to engage, and pressing and releasing to disengage. So pushing while talking and releasing to shut it off can’t be even imitated by a mouse or a keyboard key. I wonder if it still can be done using BMT?

I don’t think we need to trigger a keystroke if the same results can be done with learning MIDI CC, do we? If so, could you please provide an example which would take Note 61 on Ch1, convert it to CC61 and see if that somehow can make Solo/Talkback work in Push-to-talk manner? Then I’d assign that CC command to Talkback.

I don’t think we don’t need to mess around with LEDs for now…

That is exactly what it does. See the log below:

1: IN   1.0  Note On on ch. 1 with note:tb=61 and velocity:127 (0x7F) - Push Button on Controller
2: OUT  1.0  MIDI 6 bytes: B0 3D 7F B0 3D 00 - To Studio 1 CC 61 - Twice
3: IN   2.0  Note On on ch. 1 with note:tb=61 and velocity:127 (0x7F) - Push Button from Controller
4: OUT  2.0  MIDI 90 3D 7F - LED Feedback - Note on
5: IN   1.1  Note Off on ch. 1 with note:tb=61 and velocity:0 (0x00) - FromController release button
6: OUT  1.1  MIDI 6 bytes: B0 3D 7F B0 3D 00 - To Studio One - Send CC 61 twice
7: IN   2.1  Note Off on ch. 1 with note:tb=61 and velocity:0 (0x00) Release Button
8: OUT  2.1  MIDI 90 3D 00 - LED Feedback to turn LED Off

Make Sure you have your Aliases set up correctly. You shouldn’t have to mess with any of the init stuff and we are not sending any keystrokes, only MIDI.
Mine are set like this for testing.

You can change these in the MIDI Menu
Demo

Just in case the last file was not 100% right, I’m posting it again. The exact same one for the log shown.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I was able to emulate momentary behavior with the solo track one using MCU mode.

Solo-StudioOne.bmtp (2.2 KB)

The project is very similar to the other except.

I have MIDI thru paths for other Mackie MCU commands
Change input and output to note 8 (solo track 1).
So solo is the only button that is momentary.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

Steve, I’m sorry for a very late reply. Just had a chance to test it now.

This works, and thanks a lot for that! But there was a change of plans and now this has to be done slightly differently. I need Mute on a channel in Studio One to be engaged by default, while pressing F8 would momentarily UnMute that channel while I’m holding F8 down and LED illuminating, then it would need to get Muted again when I release F8 (and LED goes OFF).

Just to remind that F8 is note 61 (just like in your example). Could you please modify that project to do that and post here? I’m really appreciate it!

Unfortunately, I can’t use MCU for that because I need non-channel buttons of X-Touch (like F8) to do the un-muting.

I don’t think you can MIDI learn a note in Studio One. That is why I had to create a control type of CC and MIDI learn in Studio One As that CC.

In either case, the below will revers the polarity. Give it a try.

If you simply want to send note 61 off when pressed and on when release, then disable preset 1 and enable preset 2 which simply reverses the polarity of the pushed button.
Talkback-StudioOne-2022-12-26.bmtp (2.7 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like

This works, thanks!
But what is the purpose of preset 0 with ‘Project’ as incoming, Key Strokes, etc? I don’t understand what it does, and it works without it. Do I need it? It would be good to understand what it does, though…

Another newbie question: is there a way to import this project into my bigger project without me having to enter all presets manually?

The first translator will fire a timer called ‘Init’ when you open the project.
The second translator will fire the same timer when you press keystroke Cntl(Up)
The third translator will set the value of tb to the desired incoming note number. Look at the rules.

This is a great way to ensure you have any global variable initialized. It is also a good way to document which global variables you are using. See this tutorial.

If you change the settings of Bome MIDI Translator Pro to allow multiple instances. You can then open each project file and copy and paste translators between them.

The below shows you how to do it on the Windows platform. You start by clicking on View menu. Then settings. the Startup.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Does this mean that the timer won’t start unless I hit ‘Ctrl’ plus ‘UP’ keys on my keyboard? Is there a way to do it without having to press any keys? Why does it work without this preset 0? Sorry, I don’t understand it…

way to do it without having to press any keys? Why does it work without this preset 0? Sorry, I don’t understand it…

The timer will be triggered by any selected incoming triggers. For instance, translator 0.0 is set to trigger the timer with the project file is opened. The translator 0.1 is set to trigger when you press control-up. You can define any trigger you want. In general, global variables will be re-assigned by rules in a given translator.

You can have many timers (all named) and have each triggered by different or the same triggers.

You can read more about timers in the Bome MIDI Translator User Manual. It is available via the help menu or pressing F1 while in MT Pro.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I’m afraid I can’t study that well enough to program everything on my own… So basically you’re suggesting leaving this timer (preset 0) the way you wrote it in your last example, and placing it as the very first Preset 0 in my project, correct? Considering the fact that I don’t need any keyboard keys to be pressed and only need F8 “Push To Talk” to work, alongside all other Note to CC translators etc…

Yes, I would leave the preset it place.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

1 Like