Virtual Midi Ports won't work

I’m using Bome Network with the Unlimited Named MIDI Ports as a substitute for loopmidi.

I basically have created 2 custom named virtual midi ports which will be used by a software which handles my Behringer communicating with Pro Tools.

The ports can be found but Pro Tools can’t use them.

Hi and welcome to the Bome community!

And thanks for your purchase!

Unlike LoopMIDI, Bome Unlimited Named MIDI Ports are not pipes, but endpoints.
With this, you need to use the MIDI router of Bome Network to connect the endpoints.

For example I use a virtual port that I call EC4-V1 to communicate with other applications. My real controller is a FaderFox EC4. Here is how I set up the endpoints.

With the above configuration, you would have ProTools communicate with EC4-V1 in both directions instead of FaderFox EC4. So essentially I have used this single Virtual Port to use as two midi pipes. With loopMIDI you would have needed two virtual ports.

To make things even more impressive, you can also have multiple connections.
The below is how I make my FaderFox EC4 talk to three different applications each through their own virtual port.

Now I can each application listen to the same MIDI device. This kind of thing is not possible with loopMIDI or loopBE.

You can get to the MIDI router section in the Bome Network tool by clicking MIDI Router

Then the plus sign for adding your routes.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like

Thank you so much, I love you :heartpulse::laughing:

You’ve saved me lots of time trying to figure it out. I would’ve never guessed that they are endpoints which you’d have to connect first with the midi router, which in my mind served different purposes.

Thanks 10.000 times, you’ve saved my weekend.

In case you have some time left for me, could you elaborate quickly on the virtual Midi port settings: Keep virtual midi ports after disconnect and keep virtual midi ports for pending devices.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

The way I understand it, if this is unchecked and a physical device is routed to the virtual port, if the physical device is disconnected, the virtual port will be removed. If you then later hook up the physical device again, then the virtual port will return.

Leaving it checked, makes the virtual port still available albeit, you will not see any activity form the connected physical port since it doesn’t exist. This could be handy if you application doesn’t like seeing the device disappear and re-appear. The application will think the device is always there.

If a device cannot be opened by an application, (like for instance if another application is holding it open), the port goes into a pending status. Keeping this checked again, leave the virtual port in place.

I usually keep both checked as there is some time delay when adding and removing virtual ports. However, your available ports reported may be overreported for unconnected or pending devices.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz
1 Like