Bome box standalone function

I attach the program adapted to my pc and in the file
Bome box test 3.pdf there are the three pages of the configuration that you can check and the page of the Midi ox that works as well
as the usb port of the pc. As you can see, on the left what was transmitted and on the right what was received, from top to bottom
first with the Bome Box inserted between the input and output of the midi interface, in the center without the Bome box and then again with
the Bome box. What comes out of the Bome box is always MIDI OFF …
What can we do?
Thanks again.
Mauro
DIN-Loopback_a.bmtp (711 Bytes)
BomeBox Test3.rar (3.5 MB)

I’m sorry can you show a diagram on how you have things connected. The MIDIOX screen makes absolute no sense to me as I’m not sure where the originating MIDI is send from.

I’m still struggling with what you want to accomplish. Are you looking to:

1. Send from PC to BomeBox using USB and then return to PC using USB with BomeBox as a MIDI DIN Loop?
  2. Send from PC to BomeBox using network port and then return to PC using network port as MIDI DIN Loop?

Is there a reason you are using MIDI OX or are you planning to use some other application and just using MIDI OX as a monitor for testing?

On your MIDI OX monitoring screens I have no idea which input and output ports you are monitoring so it is difficult for me to help determine what is going on.
They just show Monitor Output and MOnitor Input and Port Numbers but I have no reference to the MIDI ports of each port number used.

I’m sorry but I think maybe there is something fundamental that you are missing or I am missing here.

Maybe you can show a diagram of what the intended use case is when everything is working the way you finally want it, including showing the MIDI devices or applications that will be connected.

Oh and your project file shows a translator with note on coming in and now output with “swallow” set so unless you disable this translator, no note-on will go through the MIDI thru route defined. This is way I suggested use a project file with no translators.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Also available for paid consulting services: bome@sniz.biz

As far as I can tell, this is what you want to do, however I’m not sure how the MIDIBOX would play into this.

Yes, right!!I’m working to connect Nord Stage 3 to a Viscount Legend expander via midi-Din (five-pole connector) by passing thrue notes and converting control changes.
With Bome midi translator I created the program and connected to the Nord stage and the Viscount legent through my Midi-USB interface and everything works ok.
The final risult is to transfer the program to the BOME BOX and insert it in place of the PC and USB interface connected to the Nord stage and the Viscount legend through the five-pole Mid
connectors. I use Midi ox because using the Bome Box it doesn’t work and so with Midi ox I try to understand why.
Wiring diagram of test.pdf (210.9 KB)

Yes, right!!!

I’m working to connect Nord Stage 3 to a Viscount Legend expander via midi-Din (five-pole connector) by passing thrue notes and converting control changes.
With Bome midi translator I created the program and connected to the Nord stage and the Viscount legent through my Midi-USB interface and everything works ok.
The final risult is to transfer the program to the BOME BOX and insert it in place of the PC and USB interface connected to the Nord stage and the Viscount legend through the five-pole Mid
connectors. I use Midi ox because using the Bome Box it doesn’t work and so with Midi ox I try to understand why.

Wiring diagram of test.pdf (211 KB)

Are you looking to use just MIDI DIN In for Nord Stage 3 and MIDI DIN Out going to the Viscount Legend? You want all notes to go through untouched and just map CC messages? Maybe if you post your project file I can set it up for you and get it working.

The below is how I tested things with my MIDI Hub and it worked fine (for testing). Maybe the MIDI DIN adapters you have on your MIDI interface are not working.

I also created a similar file with the following configuration which also works.

The attached project file should work if you set your aliases correctly although at this point there are no translators to convert MIDI CC. Everything will just pass through on the DIN ports. Just set your aliases appropriately.

On your computer, you would have your MIDIBOX IN as Nord Stage 3 and MIDIBOX OUT and Viscount Legend.

On your BomeBox you would have Have MIDI DIN IN as Nord Stage 3 (coming from your NS3 MIDI OUT Connector) and MIDI DIN OUT as Viscount Legend (going to your Legend MIDI DIN IN Connector).

You would then add translators for any CC conversion that you want.

If you want to monitor what is going on , you could add another path from Nord Stage 3 Alias to your Computer Network Port and monitor what is going on using MIDI OX or whatever on your computer.

MIDI-DIN-Route-2022-05-18.bmtp (712 Bytes)

If you already have a project file with translators, feel free to share it and I will see if I can adjust it for you.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

hanks Steve, I’ll do other tests … now I still have a question: is what is written in the Bome Box log normal, especially why the file name is always the same whatever .bmtp I upload?
Can I understand which .bmtp file is working in the BomeBox?

I transfer from PC to Bome Box : DIN-Loopback_a.bmtp
Log

2022-05-19 06:14:12: save settings OK: last modified=2022-05-19 06:14:12 filesize=1063 filename:/etc/mt/playerheadless.bmts

Thanks Steve, I’ll do other tests … now I still have a question: is what is written in the Bome Box log normal, especially why the file name is always the same whatever .bmtp I upload?
Can I understand which .bmtp file is working in the BomeBox?

I transfer from PC to Bome Box : DIN-Loopback_a.bmtp
Log

2022-05-19 06:14:12: save settings OK: last modified=2022-05-19 06:14:12 filesize=1063 filename:/etc/mt/playerheadless.bmts

I finally understood the problem: BomeBox works ok on the Net output but the correct message does not come out from the five-pole Din output. In my opinion midi hardware is ok because a message comes out but the message is incorrect. I am a senior electronics technician and you can trust what I tell you.
How can we solve?
Tell me if you need any more tests.
Thanks

Hi,

How large is the message you are sending. Some cheap MIDI interfaces like this one do not have a large enough buffer size to keep up with MIDI if the messages are coming through too fast.

If you have your ports set correctly and no translators are active, there would be no reason the BomeBox would be sending a different message than it is receiving so the only thing I can imagine is that the buffer is not keeping up and hence dropping MIDI messages. I’ve seen this quite a few times with cheap MIDI to USB cables that are designed to handled short note or CC message but not larger messages such as System Exclusive which are usually much larger messages and take up more buffer space.

If you are sending directly from your DIN port on your Nord Stage 3 to the DIN port on your Viscount Legend, you should not see this problem.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi

The file name playerheadless.bmts is a settings file that defines the aliases you set up in your .bmtp file and doesn’t change. It is updated with new aliases when you start a different project (.bmtp) file so that your BomeBox is aware of what aliases may needing assignment.

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

Hi Steve,

I am attaching the file used for the test, Bome Box receives the message well, processes it just as well and sends it right via the net, what is not correct is the message that comes out of the bome box midi Din connector (five-pole).

Midi BomeBox Test.bmtp (1.73 KB)

OK, try this.

What I changed.

1. Set up at the preset level the devices you want to receive from and send to. The way you had it set up is receive from any open ports and send to all open ports so you may have been getting double messages.
    See this tutorial.
  2. Renamed your translators and preset (no effect but better for clarity)
  3. Changed the incoming and outgoing variables on translators from ga and gb to pp and qq respectively. It is better to use local variables so that the values of one translator does not affect the values of another. It is possible that the values of translators 0.2 was interfering with the values of 0.0. See the Bome Manual (F1 within MT Pro) for a discussion on global vs local variables.
  4. On translators 0.1, I added a rule, for clarity setting the outgoing MIDI Channel to 1 (gh=0). If your Viscount legend needs a different MIDI channel, set it there. MIDI channels are 0 based 0 for MIDI CH 1, 1 or MIDI CH 2 etc.

Now anything coming from your Nord Stage 3 will go both to the Viscount Legend assigned port and to the network port. Anything coming from your network port will be ignored (unless you add that as an incoming port in the preset.

Note, I did not add any MIDI thru paths so anything that is not handled by the translators will be suppressed. If you want other MIDI messages to get through, you will need to add the paths (lines) in the MIDI router.

I’m attaching the updated project file.

Midi BomeBox Test–sjc.bmtp (1.9 KB)

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I have done many tests but the result is always the usual: it works (OK) well with DIN input and net output, net input and net output, it does not work both DIN input and DIN output, net input and DIN output. The only output that does not work is the DIN (5 pole) output of the BOME BOX.

I’m sorry but it’s so!

Are you sending MIDI DIN directly to your Viscount, from your MIDI port are are you going through some other interface first?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

I do the tests with midi ox.

I attach commented pdf

Midi-ox Bome Din 19_5_22 comment.pdf (3.06 MB)

How are you getting the MIDI Output from BomeBox DIN into MIDI OX for monitoring?

Steve

With iMidi USB interface: Bespeco Midi USB interface link: https://www.bespeco.it/it/770-bmusb100.html

I attach a handmade diagram because I have not installed Autocad in my pc

Diagram Tests 19_5_22.pdf (210 KB)

OK, thanks for this! So I assume for Test 1 you monitor the input with MIDI OX and that is what you are showing me that is not OK.

For Test 2 you are getting correct data back from MIDI OX and also your Legend behaves correctly (notes sound correctly).

For Test 3, you cannot monitor with MIDI OX but your Legend is missing notes. Is this correct? If not, could you explain what sounds incorrect? Do you get anything at all on your Legend or is it just silent. Does this device have a MIDI in indicator showing that there is MIDI activity?

I assume you use the same project file for each scenario but just assign different aliases.

For test 1, how fast are you sending MIDI data? Can you slow it down to see if it makes a difference?

You are running the latest BomeBox firmware version on your BomeBox, right?

Steve Caldwell
Bome Customer Care

OK, thanks for this! So I assume for Test 1 you monitor the input with MIDI OX and that is what you are showing me that is not OK. YES

For Test 2 you are getting correct data back from MIDI OX and also your Legend behaves correctly (notes sound correctly). YES NOTE AND CONTROL CHANGE ALL CORRECT

For Test 3, you cannot monitor with MIDI OX but your Legend is missing notes. Is this correct?
YES
If not, could you explain what sounds incorrect? NO SOUND
Do you get anything at all on your Legend or is it just silent. NO SOUND AT ALL
Does this device have a MIDI in indicator showing that there is MIDI activity?THERE IS NOT MIDI INDICATOR BUT THE OUTPUT LED ON BOME BOX BLINKING SHOWING MIDI ACTIVITY

I assume you use the same project file for each scenario but just assign different aliases.
YES BUT ALSO TEST OF COURSE BUT I ALSO TESTED DIFFERENT PROJECTS ALWAYS WITH CORRECTET RESULT

For test 1, how fast are you sending MIDI data? Can you slow it down to see if it makes a difference? I SEND COMMAND MANUALLY WITH THE KEYS OF THE PC KEYBOARD SLOWLY ONE AT A TIME, THERE IS NOT A DIFFERENCE

You are running the latest BomeBox firmware version on your BomeBox, right?
YES, FIRMWARE 1.5(56219),